• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    So I'm at Hap Baker today shooting some Ar's with hand loads and decided to throw some Wolf rounds down to show my father how drastic the accuracy level is. So I shoot a nice 5 shot group at 100 with my 1-4x scoped 3gun rifle and 75 grain Hornady HPBT hand loads.
    2012-01-29_12-28-41_449.jpg

Then I shoot two quick three shot groups with Wolf to show how horrible it is.
    2012-01-29_10-40-15_498.jpg

Except it really wasn't that bad. WOA barrels really are pretty darn special IMHO. I even moved my zero on the scope to match the Wolf and fired another group to verify. Yes only 3 shot groups, but clearly the Wolf is close to if not MOA in this gun. Also I'm shooting a 1-4x optic with a 3 moa center dot(Nikon M223). Not exactly the best optic for shooting groups at 100 but proof that it can be done.

Then I shot a group of 55 Vmax handloads in the rifle I built for my father for fathers day. The Superior barrel didn't do too bad either.

2012-01-29_12-29-09_246.jpg

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Well, that's embarrassing and quite lucky at the same time. Bought a case of Wolf yet?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Good educational topic Russ. I always enjoy reading your posts. :):thumbsup:
    :thumbsup:

When I started having custom rifles built, I discovered that the ammo is not always THE key to performance that I always perceived it to be. A good quality barrel with correct chambering techniques (like the WOA tube) will shoot an amazing assortment of ammo well, even junk.

I had a Remington VS .22-250 in the 70s that I literally fought with trying to get it to shoot well. Best of the best delivered 3/4" groups, and they were hard to duplicate. I bought a precision made Hart .22-250 that had been set up for benchrest (pre-PPC days, for sure) and that thing would dump ANYTHING into 1/2", and most ammo types shot into the same hole. I actually quit handloading for it and wore the barrel out shooting Federal Premium 55 BTHPs and 40 grain Blitzes.

Where that Wolf stuff will typically fall apart is at longer distances, where drop is more affected by MV variations and groups go vertical.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Interesting. I did something similar at Hap comparing Tula and Brown Bear thru a PTR91 with 4x glass.

They both grouped around 3-4 inches at 100 yards, however at 200 the Tula opened up and was all over the paper. (half size silohuette). The Brown Bear held about a 7 inch group with an occasional flyer wayyyyy outside.

Nice write up Russ.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    That's funny. I was at Hap today putting my AR through its paces and was having a hell of a time with it. Good shooting and good to know that Wolf isn't entirely crap.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    These threads are pissing me off. I was at Hap and had no idea you guys where there. I was mostly shooting pistols then me and my little sister shot on lane 1 (.22 and AR). From 230 to 4

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I almost always shoot in the middle two lanes that only have the 100 and 200 yard berms. Every time I'm there, there is a guy in his late fifties shooting one inch orange dots on pie plates. He only shoots 308 and is always in a center lane. Anyone know him?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I almost always shoot in the middle two lanes. Every time I'm there, there is a guy in his late fifties shooting one inch orange dots on pie plates. He only shoots 308 and is always in a center lane. Anyone know him?

Nope, don't know him but see him there almost every Saturday morning I'm there.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    I almost always shoot in the middle two lanes that only have the 100 and 200 yard berms. Every time I'm there, there is a guy in his late fifties shooting one inch orange dots on pie plates. He only shoots 308 and is always in a center lane. Anyone know him?

You like it out at Hap Baker? I haven't checked it out yet? I second the call for a MDSF day at HB

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom