• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XFireBowstrings

Custom String Maker
    Nov 26, 2011
    Denton MD
    Here is a link for the Md Archery Association! 17 years ago when I got into the sport, the MAA was booming with participants, now it's not as popular for some reason.....

Look for a club near you and enjoy...

Indoor archery
    Outdoor field archery and 3D
    Tournaments and leagues..

http://md-archery.org/

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Eep, so much of their info is old. Championships from August 2011. Education class schedules from 2010.. :(

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I was looking into joining Wing Bowman near Gunpowder, Hammerman when they closed up shop. I miss that place. I still go down there and walk around the place a couple times a year.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    My wife wants to get us into archery, with one goal being deer hunting eventually.

We have a big enough back yard to practice in, but haven't bought anything yet.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    My brother, Ed Bowen, is a very good archer. He is the one training me to shoot. He and Norm Lewis, weatherman on Channel 11, have both shared champion indoor archer titles alternately for many years. I don't think he's actively competing now, but he used to.

I wish I could draw a bow. I'm somehow managed to tear rotator cuffs on both arms. That totally eliminates me from pulling a bow.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Organizing archers has always seemed to me a little like herding cats- unless you are interested in competition you can pretty much do it on your own and bow hunting is generally a pretty solitary pursuit- you dont need a lot of space to practice and the noise wont disturb your neighbors. Also the divisions between techie compound guys, traditionalists, and crossbowmen dont help the situation.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    My brother, Ed Bowen, is a very good archer. He is the one training me to shoot. He and Norm Lewis, weatherman on Channel 11, have both shared champion indoor archer titles alternately for many years. I don't think he's actively competing now, but he used to.

I wish I could draw a bow. I'm somehow managed to tear rotator cuffs on both arms. That totally eliminates me from pulling a bow.
    Crossbow with a crank system (my shoulders are fine, but I use one for hunting).

XFireBowstrings

Custom String Maker
    Nov 26, 2011
    Denton MD

I talked with Ed a few weeks ago at Anne Arundel archers... He's been at it a long while now..

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    My problem with archery is that I could never hit the broad side of a barn at any distance over 15-30 feet. Also I had seriously conflicting advice on where and how to train using what equipment.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    My problem with archery is that I could never hit the broad side of a barn at any distance over 15-30 feet. Also I had seriously conflicting advice on where and how to train using what equipment.

Personally, I feel that everyone wants to play with all-the-latest-gadgets-newest-faster-bow; and what stores try to sell you... and everyone forgets the basics... kinda like firearms...

Get an inexpensive recurve or longbow, learn to shoot it in the backyard/basement/living room/whatever... learn the basics.. then move on to the latest and greatest.... even if the latest and greatest is "trad" bows.

If you are near Frederick, I am pretty sure I have an old recurve (lt wt).... if you want.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Thanks for the offer. I actually picked myself up a lightweight (30 lb) recurve a while back but lack both instruction and a place to practice unless I go up to the AGC.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    If you are near Frederick... Adamstown to be exact... lemme know, my backyard is always open....

Before I moved the family up, lived in an Apt in Rockville.... had a 15 yd range shooting from behind the couch down the hall into the target in the linen closet... I do not advise shooting after a few adult cocktails, unless you have access to wood putty LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom