• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Rice's email is coming back as undeliverable. Use other methods of contact.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    He told me up front that if he had his way he would ban assault weapons. His rationale for HB 441 is that the state needs money and if you can afford an assault rifle you can afford to pay an additional 10% in tax.

His “need for revenue” excuse appears to be just that.

I guess this explains why I again saw the jokers in the cowboy hats nearly get a motorist killed at the speed trap on 50 by the mall. I saw it happen the other day. After she tried to merge back into traffic she was nearly run over. Great idea, lets set up a speed trap on a busy road whereby motorists have to merge back into the fast lane. Idiots. But hey, the state needs money so I guess it's all good and proper. :tdown:

If the state is that hard up for money, which I don't believe for a second, then cut spending. For the sake of argument, lets say they really do need the money. Hell I'd rather them raise my property taxes than trying to chickensh!t us to death with subversive back door taxes.

zrxc77

Feb 26, 2007
    Any updates from the hearing today? I testified at the SB-43 hearing, but I couldn't get today off from work.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It's still sort of early......if they had 1/2 dozen bills to hear, they would not have had time to do the hearings and for everyone to get home.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Live from the House of Delegates

No surprise here folks.....our bill has not come up yet.....I wish there was a better turnout in opposition...there are less than 10 of us here including John J, Rey, Sandy and a few others.....

There's still time to get down here and make a show of support!

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

No surprise here folks.....our bill has not come up yet.....I wish there was a better turnout in opposition...there are less than 10 of us here including John J, Rey, Sandy and a few others.....

I'd be glad to be there instead of enduring what i am now....think American Idol without the talented performers :shocked3:

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    No surprise on this one folks....Rice (Sponsor) was openly hostile....actually pretty damn close to unprofessional to be honest....insisted that crimes were being committed with SCAW's...

John J had a PIA Request to MSP that showed no crimes with SCAW's in basically forever...there were a few with Assault Pistols in 1998 (they were banned at that time....lot of good the law did eh?)

I was last on the Pro Rights side and spewed off same Md State Police Uniform Crime stats....stated that the Md State Police do not track SCAW's separately but instead lump them into the Rifle Category....spewed off stats and gave him an example of 2005 where there were 4 Murders with Rifles, ~65 with Knives, ~20 with blunt objects etc etc....

I indicated that the MSP stats person I spoke with could not remember the last time they had a violent crime with a SCAW.

I indicated that I had asked the MSP if they could tell me how many crimes committed with SCAW's legally obtained by the lawful owner and that MSP indicated that they did not track that etc etc...

Rice tried to dig in and asked me for stats on Assaults in Md with SCAW's and I indicated that I did not have that info b/c as I indicated previously the MSP does not track SCAW's separately....I saw at least one smirk at that and Rice's obvious frustration.

To me he appeared pretty frustrated that we as a group were professional, had answers and hard stats disproving the BS that they keep repeating in the hopes that people will start believing them.

There were NO/Zero questions from Delegates that were Pro Rights in nature...all were moderately hostile lines of questioning from Rice and a second Delegate I do not have a name for.

I'm hoping that someone decides to direct the MSP to begin tracking crimes committed with SCAW's and how many were committed by the legal/legit owner.....we all know that this is a virtually non-existant number and would lend more weight to our side.

The outcome of the bill is anyones guess at this point but I suggest that we all make the phone calls/e-mails and urge the Ways and Means Delegates to give this bill and UNFAVORABLE REPORT.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Any news on when the committee is scheduled to vote?

No.

I have a call into my delegate (George) who is Pro Rights (on our side). His aide indicated that no vote has been scheduled for it yet.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member

I'd love to be there, but I had foot surgery (my third) and would be lucky if I could walk across the street right now. :sad20: :rolleyes:

At least I'm on some good drugs right now. I've had enough oxycontins that I could be a substitute host on a certain national radio talk show. :sad20: :rolleyes: :D

Thanks for being there to represent us jpk1md.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Folks, the word is that legislators may have a hard time getting behind this bill in part because its poorly written...we need to keep fighting it but it may have a tough time growing legs this late in the season and it is in fact a piddly little tax that really doesn't do much to help O'Malley and the the Tax Man..in fact it may be an embarassment in light of the few tax bills they have been able to push....

Its all about money folks with the looming deficit. 2008 is likely to be a very bad year for our wallets with the attitudes in Annapolis.

This year is likely a "test the waters" year....

Its important to keep making the calls, e-mails and letters....if we keep it up they might just decide that the juice isn't worth the squeeze in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom