• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Remington R1 Enhanced... Repair Issues.

I picked this baby up from Engage Armament (Thanks Guys!) on the 12/10/2011 and, after a thorough cleaning, I took it to the range to test it out on 12/11/2011. Here is what I have to say about it:

Packaging: The first and most noticeable thing about the new Remington R1 line is the BRIGHT “Remington Green” case it comes in. And, in case you were wondering what was in this bright green case - it says REMINGTON in huge black letters across the front of the case. The R1 Enhanced comes with two (2) 8 round magazines, a Remington cable lock (in green as well), and a plastic Remington bushing wrench. It also comes with the Platinum service plan – marketing mostly, but entitles you to a free inspection and cleaning at the end of your twelve month warranty (or something like that – I don’t really know).

My first impression upon opening the case was "damn, this thing is beautiful" – and it is! I will say, however, that Remington ships these things really, really dirty. It took me ages to remove all the crap that come with it at no extra charge. They say that the Remington R1 needs no break in period and is good to go right out of the box. Part of me thinks it’s because they send a hundred or so rounds down range before shipping and they don’t clean it after the do… needless to say, it was a bit of a turn off. None the less, I cleaned it out and it’s right as rain. Another note: The slide rails had some minor wear (nothing major) on them, as though it had been put through a function test before shipping.

Fit and Finish: The Remington R1 line comes standard (for now at least: Stainless Steel R1) with a satin black oxide finish which I find to be very attractive. I’ve been wanting a “non-stainless steel” 1911 for some time now, and this one fit the bill.

The fit and finish of this weapon is excellent. It’s snug in fit and there is no audible rattle between the slide and frame. The slide is also smooth as silk compared to some other 1911s that I’ve owned from reputable manufacturers. I had heard and read horror stories about Remington’s quality control with this new line and admittedly I was a bit nervous about picking it up and there being something really off with it. My fears were squashed when I took it home and did a thorough breakdown of this weapon. I broke it down to bare frame and it did not disappoint. There were no visible tool marks on the frame, and from what I could tell there are no visible blemishes to speak of… yet. I’m sure I’ll muck it up somehow.

Barrel and Bushing: The R1 Enhanced comes with a “match barrel and bushing”, and from what I can tell it does seem to be fit very well. Just below the loaded chamber slot in the barrel there is an “M” stamped in the barrel, presumably to indicate that it is match grade. I’m not really sure if it is… in fact, I’m not really sure what makes a barrel match grade in the first place. Sure I’ve heard people say what they think it means, but there are so many explanations that it’s hard to know which one is true. It seems like every manufacturer defines what their level of match grade is. Anyways…

The bushing is very, very tightly fit to the barrel – which makes it a bit of a challenge to remove. The first time I disassembled it, I sent the recoil spring plug into my ceiling at 100 miles an hour. I assume that’s one of the reasons Remington includes a bushing wrench with every purchase. Be careful though, there is almost no mass to the wrench and the plug can get away from you if you aren’t careful.

Trigger: The R1 Enhanced comes with an adjustable anodized aluminum trigger that is rated from 4 – 6#. I would say that my trigger is very good and breaks consistently like glass at about 4.5#’s. I didn’t experience trigger creep, and I probably won’t bother having the trigger worked on – I’m happy with it.

Sights: The R1 Enhanced comes with a fiber optic front sight and an adjustable rear sight. Remington’s website says that they are a Novak cut, but I have read that there is some confusion amongst owners as to if it really is a “true” Novak cut. I’m going to replace the stock sights with some quality Novak night sights after my platinum service warranty expires. I initially thought that the fiber optic front sight was a bit goofy, and it is, but I do really like the sight picture. It’s nice to have a bright red dot on the target. It came set up point of aim, but I prefer to shoot point of impact so I adjusted the rear to compensate.

EDIT 1: (From Novak) - "The dovetails on the Remington are not the same as our sights and we do not make a set that will drop in to there dovetails. It will take milling to install our sights on that pistol."

EDIT 2: (Sights Found) - I recently found that the sights are supplied by Kensight and there are multiple options replacements without milling to the slide.

Mainspring Housing/Serrations: The R1 Enhanced comes with a really nice aggressively checkered mainspring housing (20 lpi) and front grip serrations. I plan to replace the stock mainspring housing with a Smith & Alexander with a mag well. I have nothing against the stock housing, but I prefer to have a mag well. Unlike some other mainspring housings, like a few Kimber’s, it’s not a plastic part.

Grips: The R1 Enhanced comes with “custom” grips with a thumb groove and ambi-cut. They aren’t bad, nothing to write home about, but I will be replacing them when I install the new mainspring housing.

Magazines: The R1 Enhanced comes with two (2) 8 round magazines with bump pads. I’m not sure who makes them, but they seem to be of decent quality. I didn’t have a single instance of the slide failing to lock back or a FTF. I’m going to look for more of these as 2 isn’t nearly enough. I wish that, with the Enhanced model at least, they would give you more of them – say 5.

Grouping: I was mostly shooting 230 grain FMJ WWB at 25 meters, however I did shoot some 230 grain Winchester PDX1 Bonded hollow points to see how it functioned (as it is my personal defense load). The WWB shot as you would expect, decent grouping and dirty as all hell. The PDX1 was another story. Tight, very tight – as you would expect from the standard issue FBI round. Remington recommends that you stick to 230 grain ball ammunition for this weapon, and I’ve heard some people get pretty upset about this. All I can say is that mine had zero issues with hollow points, and I would have no reservations about loading up with more.

Overall Rating: I’m very happy with my purchase. I would recommend this to a friend and I think I’ll hang on to it indefinitely. A few minor tweaks to it and I’ll be set up with exactly what I wanted in a 1911. Break from your brand snobbery for a second, and recognize this for what it is – a solid 1911. It’s not a Les Baer, or a Nighthawk, but this is a quality piece that is well built and will serve me well.

:D:thumbsup:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      104.7 KB · Views: 1,108
    Last edited:

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    RANGE UPDATE:

I spent this past Saturday morning (12/17/2011) at the range after making a few adjustments to my sights and my shooting mechanics - there was a noticeable difference in the relative size of my groupings! Admittedly I am probably not the best shot with a pistol, but I take solace in the fact that to about 50 yards or so I am going to hit you center mass. That being said, my last trip to the range made me feel extremely confident in my ability (or the Enhanced's ability) to put multiple mags through a hole about 2 inches in diameter at 25 yards. It was reassuring to be so consistently accurate round after round.

One thing to note about my Enhanced:
    The plastic fiber optic front rod wasn’t beaded properly from the factory and almost fell out during shooting. Thankfully I noticed it and when I went home afterwards I fixed it in a jiffy. By taking a cigarette lighter and holding the flame near the end of the rod, you can create a very nice plastic bead that will keep it from coming loose while also ensuring that the plastic doesn’t burn, turn black, and negate the point of having a fiber optic front sight in the first place. I beaded the front and rear of the sight and tried to push it out with a small punch - it's not going anywhere, problem solved. Also, I have not yet experienced a single malfunction to include regular target work and a few mag dumps.

If it’s possible, I think my opinion of the R1 Enhanced has risen even higher. If anyone is interested in purchasing one and wants to shoot mine let me know and I will be more than happy to meet up with you to try it out.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Tritium Sights Found!

I've been on the search for Tritium sights for my pistol since day 1. I was all set to send it off to Novak to have them installed with some milling to the slide... which I wasn’t excited about. :sad20:

However I FINALLY found the sight supplier for the R1 Enhanced - Kensight. And guess what - they make a fixed tritium sight to the same spec of the stock cuts on the Enhanced! NO MILLING - WOOO HOOO!!! :party29:

I'm going to have Engage install these just as soon as I get it back from Remington (I sent it in for some minor work NBD, thanks warranty!)

I'll post my thoughts on Remington's warranty work when I get it back and I will post some pics once I get the sights installed.

Later -

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Service Update

I AM PISSED!

I got my R1 Enhanced back this week and I have a major beef with Remington now.

I sent it in to have some minor cosmetic blemishes corrected, and I imagined it would be no big deal. When I sent it in, it was dead on, and tight as all hell. I mean, the tolerances were like a ducks butt - watertight; and I was a happy camper. Read my original post about slide to frame fit.

I get it back with a note from the factory - Slide replaced. Rather then fixing my gun, they slapped a new slide on it and sent it back. And, whats worse is they didn't fit the slide to the frame.

Now I have a rattle, not the tight fitting 1911 I had when i sent it away. Sure, it's cosmetically perfect, but dammit if it isn't the loudest f*cking gun I've ever owned. Im talking about slide rattle - it has it!

I'm calling them first thing monday morning and sending it back to get fixed properly. My only worry is that they are just going to peen the slide rails and send it back - which I don't want. I want it fit properly - not bent to stop the noise and shut up the customer.

I know there are a lot of guys out there that like slop in their 1911 slide, but not me.

If I would have known I would be getting back a rattle in stead of my tight fitting 1911 I would have ignored the minor cosmetic issues and dealt with it... instead I sent it away assuming that they would do it right. I was wrong.

It's going to be done right or I'm getting my money back and pissing on Remington for their shoddy work. Platinum service my ass. I'll keep you posted about my second experience with customer service.... and I might be posting a pic of my new USP if they don't get it fixed.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Sorry to hear that. I hope that they make it right.

Thanks Baer. I know you have one as well and are really happy with it. I WAS happy with mine, until I sent it off. Before I sent it off it was perfect - I was content... but of course I had to screw it up.

I'm trying to remain calm about it. My wife keeps reminding me that they have a 2 year warranty and that it was probably just my luck that I would have an issue. And she is right. If something happens 1 in ever 10 times it happens to me. I suck at life apparently. :o

I'm going to pour myself a glass of bourbon and put it out of my mind for now. I'm sure come monday they will ease my anger and eventually make it right.

Otherwise - and HK USP Tactical is in my future. :roll eyes:

You're good people Baer, thanks. I'll post some more about my experience when It develops.

Mike

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I sent the whole thing back and they botched it.

No, I know to use tape when putting it back together - no idoit scratches for me! :D:thumbsup:

Good man .. Ive heard of people using Post A Notes. I never used anything on my 1911. You really dont have to slide the slidestop that much to get it in. I usally just push mine in, with it close to install position, and it slips right in once you overcome the spring pressure on the plunger.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Can we resume to brand snobbery now?:innocent0

Just kidding, that totally blows the fugged it up on you. I've been looking at these pretty hard lately. I'll be watching to see (hear) how Remington deals with this issue. Hopefully they make things right for you.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Can we resume to brand snobbery now?:innocent0

Just kidding, that totally blows the fugged it up on you. I've been looking at these pretty hard lately. I'll be watching to see (hear) how Remington deals with this issue. Hopefully they make things right for you.

I've been really happy with my R1 Enhanced this far; really, really happy. But Damnit if they didn't screw the pooch on the "repair."

Lesson learned: Reming 1911s are good to go... Just don't send them to the factory for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom