• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I've got one, these things are the hot ticket.

The best part is when you demonstrate it to someone thats never field dressed a deer. They have that WTF look on their face!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Moderator reminder, we're not in the Water Cooler guys. I see the potential for humor here, but this is one of our public forums, can we try to stay on topic?

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    :thumbsup: Thank you.

For the record, I had to look this thing up on google. I don't want to see one in action. Would this be done at the kill site during the initial field dress?

Yes. I used it on my first (and only) deer and it worked well. However, I have never done it the old way. My dad, who has done it the old way, thought it worked OK too.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    :thumbsup: Thank you.

For the record, I had to look this thing up on google. I don't want to see one in action. Would this be done at the kill site during the initial field dress?

Yes, remove anything thing in the anus area immediately or it could taint the meat.

fogman

Sorry about that.

The tool is used to remove the dead deer's butt and 10" of lower intestine before opening the deer to field dress. I always remove the tarsal glands before I do anything else in the process, so this was done second. I've done plenty of deer with the old method(picture using a long sharp knife to core an apple) and this thing makes the job a lot easier.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    I was taught to cut the pelvis long time ago then a buddy showed me how to just cut around the anus and you can pull it through then the butt out tool came out and I think it works great.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    It's funny you should bring this product up. I have always done it old school with precision knife technique. However, during the youth shotgun season, a buddy of mine has one of these new fangled orange plastic gizmos, and he said, "here try this butt out, you'll love it" of course I was thinking "but I have my knife" After a short lesson how to work the thing, stick it and keep turning until you hear the "pop" and bam !, the damn thing actually works pretty good. I was sold on it, but, I have no desire to buy one. The real pain in the ass of the product was cleaning the thing off, not what you think, but, the membrane that is twisted around the shaft of the tool when you pull it out.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Butt Out® tool makes field dressing easy
    Proper care of harvested animals in the field is essential to having quality, great-tasting game.
    Cutting around and removing the anal canal on deer is a necessary step in field dressing that is difficult and potentially dangerous, often resulting in contaminated meat.

With Hunter’s Specialties Butt Out® big game field dressing tool, hunters can quickly and easily remove the anal alimentary canal on deer and deer-sized game.

At the start of the field dressing process, the tool should be inserted to the handle into the deer’s anal cavity, then turn it approximately 1-1/2 turns and use the handle to pull out a 10-inch section of the deer’s intestine, which can then be cut off. Then the rest of the field dressing job can be done quickly.

The Butt Out® is light and compact; making it easy to carry in the field and it can be easily cleaned and disinfected for re-use.

View our Butt Out video

To purchase this product, click on the Dealer Locator to find stores in your area or links to mail order and online catalogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom