• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    As I sit here cleaning my P226 which is filthy after a class, I thinking...

Years ago, I worked in 2 different industries where we cleaned precision parts in an ultrasonic cleaner.
    As I'm looking at the parts in my hand, I'm thinking... wouldn't it be great to just drop everything in a tank and push the button for about 15 minutes?

So... has anyone done this?
    1. Is there any reason not to do this with gun parts?
    2. Do you have a recommended ultrasonic cleaner and how about a cleaning solution that is safe for polymer guns?

Even with a ton of cleaning supplies at my disposal, I'm still not happy that every nook and cranny is being cleaned.

What say the MDS community?

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    As I sit here cleaning my P226 which is filthy after a class, I thinking...

Years ago, I worked in 2 different industries where we cleaned precision parts in an ultrasonic cleaner.
    As I'm looking at the parts in my hand, I'm thinking... wouldn't it be great to just drop everything in a tank and push the button for about 15 minutes?

So... has anyone done this?
    1. Is there any reason not to do this with gun parts?
    2. Do you have a recommended ultrasonic cleaner and how about a cleaning solution that is safe for polymer guns?

Even with a ton of cleaning supplies at my disposal, I'm still not happy that every nook and cranny is being cleaned.

What say the MDS community?

Continental offers ultrasonic cleaning services.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I think I've read on here that a couple of IPs have an ultrasonic cleaner. I have no idea what they would charge to do it for you, or even whom it was I read about.

hhmmm....looks like I'm a slow typist

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    Continental offers ultrasonic cleaning services.

Used to love getting my free cleanings when I was a member there. I would like to know if there are any negatives to this because I have been thinking of getting one myself. :D

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Buy one and try it out, you got the experience of using them.

For me I'd personally get a parts cleaner, and fill it with some polymer safe solution.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Check either MidwayUSA or Brownell's site. One of them has a smallish cleaner. All you need is the $$, space and the power plug nearby.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    The local glasses store cleans my glasses in such a cleaner.

I'd have to think it would be safe for polymer.

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    I use the larger hornady cleaner for mine. Ironically I have never put brass in it. Only pistol frames, slides and other parts. Works great but takes absolutely all lube off. So be sure to re lube well. And make sure u use air to blow all the cleaner and water out of tight places. My HK frames and xd frame have all gotten the bath. No issues as of yet.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    I have a Lyman UltraSonic cleaner. I originally bought it for cleaning my brass for reloading.

It didn't work that great for the brass. Tumbling was doing a better job.

I have been using it for cleaning my AR BCG. It works real well. It gets into all the internal and external parts and saves a lot of scrubbing with brushes. It gets out the crap that I can never seem to get otherwise.

The key is to use chemicals designed for the gun parts. Lyman makes such a product that is concentrated and you mix it with distilled water. It's not cheap, but goes a long way.

The real caution is to make sure that when the parts come out of the bath that they are properly dried and lubricated.

After removing the parts, I rinse them thoroughly with distilled water and then air-dry them with a hot hair dryer.

Once completely dry, I basically bath them in Ballistol. That forces out any water that may have not been blown out with the dryer.

Wipe out the Ballistol, lube and re-assemble. Done.

I would need to check on the polymer parts, but I recall reading on the Glock forums that many people use this process with the Glocks and there aren't any issues.

I would be cautious about using it for aluminum parts, though. I just don't know about aluminum and the chemicals. I will check on the bottle and if anybody is interested, I'll post on that later.

--Dan

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I use the larger hornady cleaner for mine.

Is this large enough to clean a gun?

hornadyultrasonic.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its not good to put complete assemblies inside sonic cleaners such as assembled slides or assembled frames. I have witnessed guns wearing mor rapidly because of sonic cleaning. Moted parts vibrate and wear off finish and can micro peen.

If you put a non sealed suppressor the vibration will peen rings in the suppressor body from the abrasives in the carbon and the vibration. If you take the parts out and make sure they dont touch no damage will occur.

They are only good for applications that get heavily carboned up, otherwise they are worthless IMHO.

Theres nothing a sonic cleaner can do that using some brushes, hot water and some ballistol or Simple Green with can do (And you dont have to detail strip it). Just blow off with compressed air if you use simple green and relube and youll be spotless. SMith and Wesson cleans incoming guns this way (Parts washer with degreaser, then blows them off)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom