Things starting to look up for the 300 Blackout !

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    If this ammo starts hitting shelves, I have an upper/lower waiting on a tax stamp and barrel.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92005

I really hope this ammo starts shipping soon. I want a 10" barreled set up in this caliber. Been waiting on the supersonic ammo to become readily aviable. Looks like I may have another project to finish this winter !

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If this ammo starts hitting shelves, I have an upper/lower waiting on a tax stamp and barrel.

I really hope this ammo starts shipping soon. I want a 10" barreled set up in this caliber. Been waiting on the supersonic ammo to become readily aviable. Looks like I may have another project to finish this winter !

Mine is almost done and im sure hoping I can find ammo and brass for relatively cheap prices when it is.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    .300 Blackout...trying to reinvent the wheel, and still falling short. :D

what, exactly, is the draw to this 7.62wanabe, if i may ask?

when i first seen it i did like the idea of it, a nice .30 caliber, 125 grain round at around 2250-2300 FPS, yea thats pretty cool...but it only takes 5 seconds to realize that...well, they even admit they wanted the get the performance of the 7.62x39, but their still short by 150 or so FPS, and on top of that has anyone though that maybe the almost complete lack of a tapir to the case could cause some extraction issues? everything backout can do, 7.62x39 does better...

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Uhh... I thought the blackout was supposed to be much better performance than a 7.62x39....

It's an interesting cartridge, but I've always liked 30-30 too ;)

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    Mine is almost done and im sure hoping I can find ammo and brass for relatively cheap prices when it is.

Aim Surplus has super and sub ammo sometimes, get on there email notification when it comes in. $15 a box, not great but getting better.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    wiki states the 9" barrel velocity at 2130 FPS w/ 123 Gr round...which is still what x39 will do.

edit: not really knockin the round...just to make that clear...im just saying trying to better understand the practicality to it

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I believe it has something to do with the round being designed from the get to supress well as well as only having to change a barrel on an AR to accept it. It uses standard uppers, bolts, and mags I believe.

Sent from my Droid

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I believe it has something to do with the round being designed from the get to supress well as well as only having to change a barrel on an AR to accept it. It uses standard uppers, bolts, and mags I believe.

Sent from my Droid

If I have been reading what Jeep and Ben have been posting correctly this post nails it.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    wiki states the 9" barrel velocity at 2130 FPS w/ 123 Gr round...which is still what x39 will do.

edit: not really knockin the round...just to make that clear...im just saying trying to better understand the practicality to it

The practicality of it to me is the platform it's in.

I'm not an AK fan, I like the AR platform. While they can make the x39 fit the platform, reliability and mags are suspect.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

Supersonic ammo in a round that was designed to be subsonic?

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Another reason for it is that it uses the standard bolt, opposed to using a modified bolt with a larger face which reduces the strength behind the locking lugs.

I'm interested in it myself for deer hunting with my AR.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Imagine going hunting with a suppressed AR? No damage or reduced damage to the ears. when you take a shot.

How quiet are the suppressors for this round?

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    .300 Blackout...trying to reinvent the wheel, and still falling short. :D

what, exactly, is the draw to this 7.62wanabe, if i may ask?

when i first seen it i did like the idea of it, a nice .30 caliber, 125 grain round at around 2250-2300 FPS, yea thats pretty cool...but it only takes 5 seconds to realize that...well, they even admit they wanted the get the performance of the 7.62x39, but their still short by 150 or so FPS, and on top of that has anyone though that maybe the almost complete lack of a tapir to the case could cause some extraction issues? everything backout can do, 7.62x39 does better...

At 300 meters, 300 BLK has 16.7% more energy than 7.62x39mm. Prove me wrong. Go to Lapua's website and look up their 7.62x39mm BC and velocity. That is the best and hottest 7.62x39mm ammo.

Second - the case has *exactly* the same taper as 5.56mm.

Third - 7.62x39mm does not work in normal AR magazines. It almost works in special AR magazines, but not with any kind of reliability.

Fourth - 7.62x39mm requires a special bolt. Not only is the bolt unique, but it is of very weak design and can break after a few hundred rounds.

Fifth - the primers on 7.62x39mm are often hard, and you never know if it will fire.

The attraction to 300 BLK is due to it being a way to shoot 30 rounds of 30 caliber ammo while using a normal bolt and magazine.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    Supersonic ammo in a round that was designed to be subsonic?

The 300 BLK was not compromised at all to have subsonic capability. The case length is as long as it can be while still working in normal magazines. Normal / supersonic ammo is by far the most popular.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    $12.99 MSRP a box.

Crimped.

Waterproof primer.

Double-struck (NATO hardness) brass.

Open Tip match (nose struck closed).

Annealed with visible mark for verification.

About a 0.300 BC at 2250 fps.

Full-out-awesome, and I am very proud of the ammunition engineers for taking the dream-approach on this.

There will be no shortage of this. If the market wants a million rounds a month, it will get it. It has its own machines.

Gun makers - make guns.

umcdsc01724small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom