• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I know many of you have your out of state CCW and I know that a lot of you choose to carry when your on vacation so i figured I'd toss this up h
    er for any of you who need suggestions.

Most of the time I'm on vacation I prefer not to carry as I done want the burden of it but I hope this helps.

#1 firearms must be in some sort of lockable container. Whether it is padlocked or a mini safe doesn't matter. I have a small combination pistol safe that easily fits in my checked baggage.

#2 Ammo CANNOT be inside the magazine. Most airlines would prefer that it be in original packaging but as long as its not loose and in some sort of hard case you should be ok.

#3 Obviously guns cannot be loaded and I personally lock the slide back and add a very sturdy trigger guard. I done believe this is mandatory though.

#4 Advise the check in agent you are flying armed and when they are ready allow them to inspect your gun to ensure its safe. Which means put the gun on top of your belongings so you don't have to rifle around through your stuff.

#5 Sign the sheet and usually they ask you to keep the ticket outside the safe but be guided by their direction. Obviously have a decent luggage lock.

#6 After the firearm is checked and they take your bag wait ten minutes and then ask the ticket agent if your square. Ive never had TSA want to recheck my luggage but just in case it pays to wait the extra ten minutes.

#7 Above all if your polite you generally wont have any issues and they are actually pretty easy to work with.

BTW I wrote this on a phone so if it is jacked up my bad. I hope this helps and please add anything I may have missed. The total process should take 15 mins. I wrote this to show you all how easy it was so more people will enjoy their carry freedom.....carry away folks.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Oh hand BTW a hard case for the ammo can be a cardboard box as long as you package it in a manner that the ammo isn't rolling around loose.....sorry my phone changes don't to done often

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm sure any pelican item will work but that would seem to bulky I have a police federal credit unit three combination lock box that is approximately 4 inches tall. I got it free for signing up its probably not the best but it gets the job done. As far as ammo goes I say why spend the money on a special container I'd keep it in the original box. The airlines have honestly kept it quite a simple process.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Thanks for the heads up!!

whats a good lockable carry case to buy for firearm and ammo?

A few years ago i flew out of state for a duck hunting trip and i bought the $30special from Dicks. It had 2 locking points and was "airline approved" . I think the key is that it can be secured with 2 locks and has to be physically secured so you cant pry it open even with locks on it. My recomendation to anyone would be to check the web site for the specific airline that you are flying and TSA's web site and you should be good to go.

Flying with firearms (checked in of course) is actually pretty easy and painless

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Is there some sort of insurance option you can purchase to help against sticky fingers? That's my one fear, having someone steal my firearm.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Does the airlines ever ask you why you are flying with a firearm??

Business, pleasure, protection??????

It's none of their da*n business why. But I've never been asked. Never had any hassle either, though I always fly out of /in to BWI or Dulles just to avoid DC (though that is not required...). In the beginning, years ago, ticket agents pretty consistently asked to see that the action was clear, but last few times they haven't even wanted to look at the weapon.

Once had a TSA agent ask questions after X-raying the case -- I was carrying a Krag and they hadn't seen one before and thought it was cool :thumbsup:

When I'm just carrying pistols I use a plastic hard sided double locked 2 gun case I bought from Delta years ago when they didn't like the single lock box I had (original case w/ a lock). Usually I carry long guns, and use this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...t=rifle+case&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products It was NOT cheap, but it's seen a lot of use, and it's pretty bomb proof! Bolt cutters could get in pretty easily, but it would surely slow down any that could fit in a pocket. I've carried 5 rifles and several pistols at a time in it.

do as mpdc4511 suggests and you should be just fine.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    please clarify what if anything needs a tsa approved lock and what if anything needs a normal lock. and if a tsa approved lock is needed, where do you get those.

thought i heard that the gun case needs a tsa lock and then you lock it in your luggage with a normal lock?

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    No tsa locks on the gun case. I use them on my suitcase, but it is actually against federal law to allow them unsupervised access to your firearms. Unsupervised by you that is. So they cannot have the keys or combo. Only you can open the case for them.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up!!

whats a good lockable carry case to buy for firearm and ammo?

Here's the Pelican 1400 case set up that I use.

Pelican 1400 Case.jpg

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Actually TSA permits loaded magazines if the open end is covered either with tape or inserted upside down in a mag carrier. Individual airlines may not allow it however.

From TSA web site

• Travelers must declare all firearms, ammunition, and parts to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    • The firearm must be unloaded.
    • The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
    • The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.
    • Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
    • TSA must resolve all alarms on checked luggage. If a locked container carrying a firearm alarms, TSA or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
    • Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    • Travelers may not use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    • Ammunition may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows packing guidelines described above.
    • TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    When I travel with my CC pistol, I bought a NanoVault 300, which comes with a cable. I have a stand up roller suitcase with retractable handle. The support for the handle goes through the interior of the suitcase so I secured it around those supports & back through the NanoVault locking it into my suitcase. This prevents anyone from quickly removing the gun case & walking away.

Steve Z. from the Powerfactorshow gave good advice to secure a label to your gun case (see photo).

TSA will tape a firearm "unloaded" notice to the gun case.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318983173.162119.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318983173.162119.jpg
      36.3 KB · Views: 1,166

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    SKB Cases

SKB cases offer have $1,500 content protection for their ATA rated cases when checking through the airlines.

I was thinking of offering MDShooters members a group buy discount on these pistol cases.

3I-0907-4B-C - Injection molded 9 1/4" x 7 1/8" x 4 1/8" (cubed foam) - $49.00 + shipping & tax (for Maryland residents).

3I-0907-6B-C - Injection molded 9 7/8" x 7 1/8" x 6 1/8" (cubed foam) - $54.00 + shipping & tax (for Maryland residents).

Let me know if you are interested.

P.S. I purchased the NanoVault before I got this dealership.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Actually TSA permits loaded magazines if the open end is covered either with tape or inserted upside down in a mag carrier. Individual airlines may not allow it however.

From TSA web site

[/LIST]

The airlines rules are the ones you encounter before TSA and I believe it is most of their rules however with that being said I almost always fly American.

I hope this thread helps some of you enjoy carrying and realize how easy it is!!

The first time I did it I was insanely surprised how simple it was. When you think Airport, MD, TSA, and flying with a gun you automatically assume a pain in the rectum but really they have simplified the process.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    This is good to know as I am going on a hunting trip in November. I'm flying Southwest since they have 2 checked bags for free and my rifle case wont fit in my luggage. Glad to know it wont be a huge deal.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    DCA is very efficient with this. When I flew back through OMA, not so much. Everything went fine, but the airline wasn't really sure what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom