• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    anyone here ever catch crayfish? i live right on the opequon creek in WV and never really thought about setting traps until now...

anyone ever catch em or eat em?

and....i heard that alot of them in this area are toxic/poisonous??? anyone hear anything on that?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    anyone here ever catch crayfish? i live right on the opequon creek in WV and never really thought about setting traps until now...

and....i heard that alot of them in this area are toxic/poisonous??? anyone hear anything on that?

Mmmmmm, crawfish etoufee, tha's good eatin.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Better question is, do you have any reason NOT to catch and try them?

Catch, no. Eat, yes. I'm with k31 on this, a crawfish etoufee is a dern fine meal. That said, I believe they're usually boiled, but I'd give it a shot at steaming them with Old Bay just like shrimp.

Might contact state DNR on that one. If they're dangerous to eat, the state should have it posted as a no fishing area.

Now, all that said if you find out that A) they're safe to eat; B) they're plentiful; and C) you don't like them, than by all means let us know where you live and we'll come assist with the "population control". :D

MentalSquint

Can't Stomp Us Out
    Dec 6, 2007
    Frederick
    Can't be more poisonous than getting them out of the C&O, right next to the train tracks, ofcourse that was about 14 years ago that my brother and I used to do it. Unless your near some old mines or anything you'll probably be fine. Crawfish are pretty low on the trophic level so they don't really accumulate a lot of toxins like a bass, catfish, snapping turtle or eagle would. I'd look for some water pennies, they usually indicate pretty clean water. They look like a penny with legs. I'd use a trap rather baited with chicken liver/hearts or dead fish rather than catch with a net, although a bait net would probably work and you wouldn't have anyone fooling with it. Try to make the trap coon proof though. I'd put an eggcrate on top of it with some rocks.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I used to catch crawdads in the creek behind my parents house, but I never ate those. I have enjoyed them on occasion however, Back when Growlers was Summit station they had crawdads and chicken wings for free on wednesdays, I miss that.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Better question is, do you have any reason NOT to catch and try them?

Catch, no. Eat, yes. I'm with k31 on this, a crawfish etoufee is a dern fine meal. That said, I believe they're usually boiled, but I'd give it a shot at steaming them with Old Bay just like shrimp.

Might contact state DNR on that one. If they're dangerous to eat, the state should have it posted as a no fishing area.

Now, all that said if you find out that A) they're safe to eat; B) they're plentiful; and C) you don't like them, than by all means let us know where you live and we'll come assist with the "population control". :D

From what I've heard, boiling is the only way to cook them. Some restaurants up here were trying them out a few years back, without much success. They were steaming them just like crabs. The seasoning to get is actually called "crab boil", but that was told to me from a Cajun, I don't know where you would get it around here.

MH

MentalSquint

Can't Stomp Us Out
    Dec 6, 2007
    Frederick
    Mae's off 355 in Frederick has crayfish. Didn't catch the price though. They steam theirs. Break them in half like a lobster, eat the tail and suck out the brains.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Mae's off 355 in Frederick has crayfish. Didn't catch the price though. They steam theirs. Break them in half like a lobster, eat the tail and suck out the brains.

I can't speak for steamed crayfish, but those cooked in a boil retain no head content - the matter is absorbed in the broth. Louisiana officiandos suck the animal's head cavity for an extra boost of highly spiced fluid. :mad54:

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    Please don't mention that abomination the called "Starship Troopers.". I was surprised Heinlein didn't launch out of his grave and throttle Verhoven.

"Brain sucking". WTF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom