• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    Im looking into purchasing my first rifle that will be designated for hunting. Mostly deer I assume. I am new to the sport of deer hunting.

So, im pretty set on only purchasing my rifle from Dicks Sporting goods. Why? well i have a coupon for $100 off a $500 purchase and I have a $100 gift card. They also have rebates and some are for Dicks only and some are from the manufacturer.

So im currently in the research phase before i purchase anything.

I took myself up to Dicks Sporting Goods (DSG) and started asking novice questions. Then I took my self home so i could then go to the omnipotent google and double checked what information i received. Which at this point im getting very conflicting information that i received from DSG.

Im not really stuck on Remington but they seem to have nice rebates, so does Tikka.

So I looked a DSG exclusive model of the Remington model 700 Varmint with
    the 26" Heavy contour large barrel. I was told by the associate that this comes in large calibers too. i.e. 30-06 and so forth. That this gun is in the Varmint category but can be used quite nicely for deer hunting. It just weighs a little more than other hunting rifles. Also that the larger contour barrel makes it more accurate!?

Then im looking in the DSG hunting catalog that they have out right now. And i notice that the rifles are split into 2 main sections Varmint Rifles and Big Game Rifles. So is it not advised to use a varmint gun for deer hunting?

Models that caught my eye:
    • The Remington Model 700 ADL stainless
    • Beretta Tikka T3 Lite w/scope
    • Remington Model 700 SPS bone collector edition

Bought honestly its like throwing a dart for me. I dont have experience and dont know what options to look for. Its like coming to a new job and on the first day they ask you "do you have any questions?" well you dont know what to ask until you get into it. But i dont want to waste my money on a rifle that ill wish i didnt buy after the first season.

So any advice would be much welcomed.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When you say deer hunting, are you doing a lot of walking, or will you be in a stand all day? When you say varmint hunting, are you going to a prairie dog town and shooting a lot or woodchuck shooting, which doesn't require a full box of ammo to do?

Jim

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I agree with Jim. You really need to figure out what sort or style of hunting you want to do first. Styles aside, a varmit rifle will be able to take down a deer, it's just that a larger caliber, such as a .30 something, may be more effective and efficient. Hell, there are follks who hunt with handguns and .22lr. It can all be done, but what do you want to do. I use a Remington 760 in 30-06 with iron sights. this served me well in Maine too, though several buddies used remington 700's in 308 and 270 as well as lever action 30-30's.

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    im assuming that most of my hunting will mostly be 70% sitting and 30% walking. Am i wrong to not really worry about the weight that much.

Deer hunting is my main focus right now. That isnt to say that later i might expand (since deer rifle season is so short).

I also read in other gun forums around the web that the people that were buying this Varmint rifle from DSG, they suggest immediately replacing the crappy stock that it comes with. So im going assume they know what they are talking about, and i have to ask myself why would i buy a gun, then immediately replace the stock. is this common?

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    For deer, I would say it is uncommon to swap parts. For varmiting, I would say it is more common, but not necessary. The thing is, they are different "sports." And there is a lot of personal preference too. While a stock 700 Varmit may be fine for one guy, another may not like the feel. Another factor is How far will you be shooting? In brush, not likely very far. Here in MD I bet 150 yds is more or less max, and most any new bolt gun can handle that. The weight difference may be an issue to you. Go hold the different rifle you are considering. see what the difference really is. You won't get a true feel unless you carry it for hours while hunting, but that is really only something you can decide for yourself. To some the extra weight is worth it.

According to my uncle, who has been hunting MD for 30+ years, get a bow/crossbow, and a shotgun. then you can hunt the entire season. If you are set on a rifle, I would say get a 700 in whatever configuration wet's your willy. it will still kill a deer, likely more accurately than most shooters. get good glass, and practice with it at the range.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I also read in other gun forums around the web that the people that were buying this Varmint rifle from DSG, they suggest immediately replacing the crappy stock that it comes with. So im going assume they know what they are talking about, and i have to ask myself why would i buy a gun, then immediately replace the stock. is this common?

The stock is fine for basic hunting. People are replacing the stock because they want a long range shooter and the stock is not conducive for this as it's too flexible. Snag a .308 version if you can find it, and you'll have a great deer/varmint rifle. If you want to shoot out to 1000 yards, switch out the scope.

Jim

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Most counties in central Md are shotgun only, you may want to look at a rem or Mossberg pump with an additional rifled barrel

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    I have shotguns just no good reliable hunting rifle.

I would say 0-300 yards max.

Is there big advantage to the larger barrel?

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    i dont want to give the impression that im stuck on this 700 varmint. cause im not. just trying to get info on that rifle plus other good possible ones.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Alot depends on calibers. Some calibers like .243 & .308 fall between Varmint & Deer hunting. The biggest difference between a varmint model and a "deer" model is the twist rate of the rifle. The varmint model rifles usally have a twist rate to stabilze lighter varmint weight bullets - where as a deer rifle will have a twist rate to stabilze the heavier bullet offerings. Firing the wrong weight bullet in either may have a diappointing result, and in some cases the bullet can literally come apart in flight.

Rem 700's Varmint models, usally have a different twist rate from standard BDL's & ADL's CDL's etc... Look on the barrel of a Varmint model, and look on one for big game & target- the twist rate is different.

Ive not seen any dedicated factory 700 Varmint models offered in a deer caliber - with the exception of the 308 - but again the twist rate in that model are geared for the lighter weight bullets for varmints.

There are plenty of 700's geared towards deer. Just about any chambered model in 30-06, .270 etc is more appropiate for deer.

If you are doing alot of walking - a heavy barreled 700, and laminate stock is a very heavy carry. Ive carry one for groundhog hunting - walking and stalking - and it can be heavy afterawhile. But the accuracy is superb - so I dont mind.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Personally, I'd just get a .30-06 rifle with the standard barrel and use it for both if I only had one rifle. Buy the varmint rifle later.

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    did you find out if the $100 off works on firearms? If yes, kindly inform me know where you got one!

The $100 off is a gift certificate. so that wont help ya.

but i did get a coupon and was really excited to use it in addition to my gift card. The coupon was $150 off a purchase of $500. So that was the plan.

So i got this catalog in the mail.
    DSGcover.jpg

Inside was this grouping of coupons.
    photo%2525201.JPG

the last coupon in the group is this one.
    photo%2525202.JPG

So I went up to DSG to make my purchase.

to my surprise this coupon could not be used towards the purchase of a gun or ammo.

I was pretty surprised cause if you look at the cover of the coupon, it only has gun and ammo on the cover of the coupon. I just thought it was poor advertising.

After reading the back of the coupon it does say that gun and ammo is excluded.
    photo%2525203.JPG

I have decided to write a letter. Not so much to complain but to point out this bad advertising/ poor choice of imagery on a coupon not intended for the sell of a gun or ammo.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    for deer, .308, 30-06 and .270 are all great calibers. tried, trued and tested, and tons of ammo everywhere, from cheapo blasting at the range to top quality hunting bullets.

though some folks like the nice look of wood or even laminated, i always get synthetic stocks, you can beat the crap out of them in the woods and it doesn't matter. plus should hold zero a little better during bad weather.

tikka is a nice gun and comes with a 1" accuracy guarantee. the detachable box magazine is nice. it's light which is great for toting it around in the woods, but will give you more recoil (which you feel at the range, NOT when you're hunting as you're all amped up).

rem 700 series also has a great reputation. i really like browing stainless stalker a-bolts, super smooth actions. they also make x-bolts i haven't tried out yet.

don't cheap out on the scope! suggest 40mm objective at the smallest, 50 is better (eg 3-9x50). larger objective gives more light which lets you see that nice buck a little better at last light. Nikon monarch series great glass at very reasonable prices.

practice, practice, practice and don't take shots on deer you can't or don't make at the range.

do not get a muzzle brake. none of these calibers kick a whole lot and you don't want to wear muffs in the field so you can hear the action, and with a brake you'll go deaf pretty soon.

good luck!

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    If you are doing alot of walking - a heavy barreled 700, and laminate stock is a very heavy carry. Ive carry one for groundhog hunting - walking and stalking - and it can be heavy afterawhile. But the accuracy is superb - so I dont mind.

What he said....Believe me you don't want to be lugging one of these friggin' tanks throught the woods. They look pretty but they'll break your back. I'd look for a Model 700 Mountain rifle chamberd in .25-06, .270 or .30-06.

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpg
      IMG_1060.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 623

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    The bigger question is

Where will you be using this rifle for deer?

I hunt in a Rifle County but find my single shot H&R slug gun a better choice. Small property, heavy woods, and the developers have moved in, I just feel A slug was the right choice

30/06 is a good caliber with cheap ammo available for paper shooting.

Hunting has such a short time frame. I would go with the synthetic stock so you do not have to keep it pristine condition in the bad weather.

As much as my synthetic stock 870 get abused it still looks clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom