• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aalmy

Jun 29, 2011
    Maryland
    Hey guys,

New to the forum and I have had my heart set on getting an AR-15(specifically a Stag Model 8) and know that I have to be 21 and have a Gun safety card in order to purchase one. The problem is I am 19. Would it be legal to have one of my parents purchase the gun for me and then have me use it at the range and to legally transport the gun or should I be looking for a non-regulated gun such as a mini-14 as a replacement?

Thanks,
    Alex

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you are under 21, whenever you would use the rifle, you would have to have parental supervision.

It's a good choice to go with an unregulated rifle. You will have plenty of fun with it in the mean time.

aalmy

Jun 29, 2011
    Maryland
    What about transport to and from the range, would that be legal? Without supervision. Also does it have to be from the person who purchased the rifle or anyone 21 and older?

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    Do you have any suggestions? I'm looking for a piston AR in particular. I guess I could always add a piston too, i.e. Adams Arms.

Specific reason for wanting a piston? you'll be just as well served and (usually) spend less coin with a DI gun.

RRA makes a good hbar if i remember right.

aalmy

Jun 29, 2011
    Maryland
    Specific reason for wanting a piston? you'll be just as well served and (usually) spend less coin with a DI gun.

RRA makes a good hbar if i remember right.

Reliability, ease of cleaning... don't want to start the DI vs Piston debate currently haha, but thanks ill check out RRA

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    If you are under 21, whenever you would use the rifle, you would have to have parental supervision.

It's a good choice to go with an unregulated rifle. You will have plenty of fun with it in the mean time.

This is not exactly true. For handguns and all regulated firearms in Maryland, it is true. However, for bolt rifles and other non-regulated rifles, you need only be 18 years of age to purchase and/or use.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    get a nonregulated hbar di gun now. when you're 21 get whatever piston upper you want for it if you haven't seen the light by then.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This is not exactly true. For handguns and all regulated firearms in Maryland, it is true. However, for bolt rifles and other non-regulated rifles, you need only be 18 years of age to purchase and/or use.

Even though I didn't make myself clear, I was talking about the AR the OP wants to purchase :o

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hey guys,

New to the forum and I have had my heart set on getting an AR-15(specifically a Stag Model 8) and know that I have to be 21 and have a Gun safety card in order to purchase one. The problem is I am 19. Would it be legal to have one of my parents purchase the gun for me and then have me use it at the range and to legally transport the gun or should I be looking for a non-regulated gun such as a mini-14 as a replacement?

Thanks,
    Alex

Get something not regulated... There are plenty of cool firearms that you can get that are not regulated. I'd probably save up for something beltfed, but that's just me.

The mini-14 is not a bad starting point and gives you a .223 caliber platform to work with. As others noted, the HBAR versions of the AR are not regulated.

Other really cool non-regulated firearms are out there. Including many in .223 caliber. If your heart is set on the AR, then there is only one choice (without getting into a debate about what is or is not regulated) and that is the HBAR.

Mark

My top choices of not regulated firearms, no particular order.

1. Vz-58
    2. Mini-14
    3. FS2000
    4. FN-49
    5. Keltec RFB
    6. Keltec SU-16c
    7. HK SL-8
    8. SKS
    9. RPD
    10. 1919A4

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Watch how you word that question.

"Would it be legal to have one of my parents purchase the gun for me and then have me use it at the range and to legally transport the gun or should I be looking for a non-regulated gun such as a mini-14 as a replacement?"

I know what you're trying to say but having your parents buy a gun for you would be committing a "straw purchase".

Sounds like you need a H-BAR for the time being to shoot and when you turn 21 buy yourself a 16inch upper and make it (tacti-cool).

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Watch how you word that question.

"Would it be legal to have one of my parents purchase the gun for me and then have me use it at the range and to legally transport the gun or should I be looking for a non-regulated gun such as a mini-14 as a replacement?"

I know what you're trying to say but having your parents buy a gun for you would be committing a "straw purchase".

Sounds like you need a H-BAR for the time being to shoot and when you turn 21 buy yourself a 16inch upper and make it (tacti-cool).

I think there is some sort of allowance for family members buying firearms as gifts for other family members and it isn't a "straw purchase". Maybe someone will chime in with more info.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I think there is some sort of allowance for family members buying firearms as gifts for other family members and it isn't a "straw purchase". Maybe someone will chime in with more info.

He can't legally own a regulated firearm till he turns 21, so it would be straw purchase. He can't own a gun defined as an assault weapon, and have it registered to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom