• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Alright, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but why aren't there more bullpup rifles out there being mass produced? I've always loved the system, you can have a longer barrel for accuracy sake, but the whole of the gun is considerably shorter.

The ones that are out there (aside from the kits for aks, sks' and the like) usually fetch a pretty fair penny. Is that because they are so much more expensive/difficult to produce in large numbers?

Sorry again if this seems dumb, I'll admit I don't know a ton about bullpups, but it just seems odd that they aren't more popular...

No demand because they're FUGLY,if you're talking about "kits".But I would take a Steyr AUG in a heartbeat.

I have a friend has a 10/22 and SKS,and I like them.And like you said they are shorter,this always appealed to me.But the prices are alittle more than what I'd like to spend.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I also love the bullpup design, my E4 is the most comfortable, ergonomic rifle I own. And it has virtually no muzzle climb, even when fired rapidly. But many military services tend to be conservative, like conventional designs, and convincing them to adopt something radically different is usually very difficult.

Bullpups are not perfect either. As has been stated, the triggers tend to not be very crisp due to the linkage needed for the trigger assembly. You tend to have brass being ejected right next to your face (disconcerting if you're not accustomed to it). Lefties can't use them unless they are ambidexterous (though most modern ones are, so not a big issue). The muzzle blast can also be very close to your face depending on barrel length.

That said, I fully intend to get a PS90 next year and SBR it. :)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have switched to the bullpup carbine as my primary HD guns about a couple of years ago.They have replaced a couple of AR15 SBRs . My favorites are the STG-556 and the PS90.

A lot of people do not like them because of the spacegun look. Let them shoot it and they slowly see the logic behind the design. I'm not a bit surprised that many countries are adopting the " bullpup" as their main combat rifle.

Attachments

• bullpups16.jpg
      bullpups16.jpg
      93.9 KB · Views: 1,175

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I never cease to be amazed at your collection scarqb.

I've personally never shot a bullpup, but even a novice like me can see how great the design is.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I believe SCARCQB was simply showing all the different variations of bullpups out there, not claiming that he owned all those. lol

Very neat montage SCAR.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    My only issue with the design is the location of the magwell. I hate having to change out mags from that location. If it wasn't for that and the bad trigger design I would be a bigger fan.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    The one thing I am worried about this design is that the chamber where combustion happens is right next to your face. If something were to go wrong say goodbye to your head. At least with a conventional design you have a better chance of not getting killed. This is just opinion mind you, if someone can convince me otherwise that right there is the main reason why I would not want one. I can get over the other stuff but that right there is the reason why I cannot fathom getting one.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Gun owners tend to be conservative people. Conservative people don't like shiny new machines that look like they belong in a Sci-Fi movie. Therefore, gun companies don't want to take the risk of marketing these guns in the US. The few that do charge top dollar because there's almost no competition in the bullpup market. This just turns mainstream shooters off and they instead turn to conventional guns. Gun companies notice this and want no part in a high risk, low volume market.

Personally, I'd love to have a bullpup, but there are few choices and they've expensive. I just can't justify an "oddball" rifle that costs twice as much as my Rock River and doesn't offer a big overall improvement. I'm just trading flexibility and familiarity for better ergonomics and theoretically better reliability.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Some are mine, but not all of them.. but have shot them all.

I currently own several bullpups. STG556,AWC m1a, steyr AUg/ USR, PS90 ( std and SBR), Norc 86S, BM 17 and a Valmet. The Chinese CQ86 and Tavor is owned by my brother who lives in Canada ( yes.. they are friggin legal up there). I'm currently selling blood and a left kidney to fund a Keltec RFB... Owned an FS2000...traded that for the 86S.( rare)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Heres a couple of kalashnikov inspired bullpups

The Norinco 86S(7.62x39) and the Valmet M82( 5.56):thumbsup:

Attachments

• Norinco86S.jpg
      Norinco86S.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 850
    • ValmetM82.jpg
      ValmetM82.jpg
      29.9 KB · Views: 834

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Pecker check....
    7.5"AR ( stock retracted)
    16" STG 556
    16" AR ( stock retracted)

As you can see.. the STG556/AUG is almost as short as a 7.5" AR15 SBR ( the stock extended to the second position) , but retains the 16" barrel. This maintains velocity for maximum ballistic performance and significantly reduces blast ( the 7.5 sounds like a flashbang indoors). The AUG platform also uses an adjustable short stroke gas piston system that does not introduce heat or fouling into the action( The FCG is plastic). This system is just now being adapted into the AR platform. This has been a strong-point of the AUG since its introduction in the mid 70's.

The rifle is also extremely balanced with the center of gravity right on the pistol grip. A user can fire the rifle like a pistol if need be. The rifle can also be adapted to left hand shooters with a simple bolt swap and switching the ejection port cover.

Longer barrel equates to better accuracy/ ballistics. SBR short but no need for a tax stamp.

The trigger is not horrible.. but takes a while to get used to ( I had the same feeling when I changed from a single action 1911 to a safe action glock). Trigger tamer upgrade resolves that issue. mag changes can be tricky at first, but speed comes with practice. Field stripping the carbine is simple. Barrels can be removed and re-attached or swapped out in mere seconds. Try that with an AK or AR.

Bullpups are now being used by many countries:
    Israel- Tavor TAR21
    UK- SA80
    France- FAMAS
    Croatia ( same people that brought you the SA XD pistol) VHS Rifle
    China- Type97
    South Africa- Vektor CR21
    Austria, Australia, Saudi arabia, Malaysia, -AUG
    Singapore- I forgot???? Brain fart at the moment

Attachments

• shortrifles.jpg
      shortrifles.jpg