• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Alrighty... I was snooping around for my first case of 5.56 on palmetto (great prices!) but I have a quick question for you who know too much...

[I'm building my first AR and I'm stoked for the lowers to come in on this group buy!!!]

On to the question...

What in the world is the difference between M193 and M855 ammo??

ARFCOM said "Both rounds are effective when used what they were designed for.
    M193 Unarmored targets up to 460 meters using a battlesight zero of 250 meters
    M855 Targets wearing body armor up to 600 meters. Point target 550 meters and 800 for area targets

The accounts of M855 being less effective on unarmored troops is remedied by shot placement and being prepared to use multiple rounds to do the job."

Which really don't answer my question...

Which would you buy and why?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/500.php
    or
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/1101.php

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    The twist rate of the barrel is the most relevant question.

Although a 1-7 twist can shoot 55 grain all day long and do it well
    it is intendend for heavier bullets like the 62 grain M855.

If you're shooting steel don't shoot M855 green tip steel penetrator rounds...unless you wanna tear up the steel targets.

Buy both and see what shoots better in your rifle.....some friends had problems with the M193 popping primers so for whatever that's worth I just bought 1000 rounds from Palmetto. :innocent0

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    1/7 twist BCM 16" upper. The prices are off by $10 so I figured it didn't matter too much?

You're good to go with either, so it comes down to what you're using it for. Zombies get steel core, targets get lead core. It doesn't hurt to have both available.

Some ranges do not allow steel core projectiles. That could be a factor for you.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    The twist rate of the barrel is the most relevant question.

Although a 1-7 twist can shoot 55 grain all day long and do it well
    it is intendend for heavier bullets like the 62 grain M855.

If you're shooting steel don't shoot M855 green tip steel penetrator rounds...unless you wanna tear up the steel targets.

Buy both and see what shoots better in your rifle.....some friends had problems with the M193 popping primers so for whatever that's worth I just bought 1000 rounds from Palmetto. :innocent0
    So M855 will destroy steel targets? Hmmm, I guess my minds made up if I want to buy steel targets to shoot on my friend's farm. Hmmmm...

not impressed by m855.
    What did you want from it that you weren't getting?

You're good to go with either, so it comes down to what you're using it for. Zombies get steel core, targets get lead core. It doesn't hurt to have both available.

Some ranges do not allow steel core projectiles. That could be a factor for you.

Zombies get steel core?? That's what I REALLY needed to know :D:thumbsup:

Cresap/Hap Baker/Myrtle Grove will probably become my best friends until MSAR and Continental build indoor rifle ranges... Do those three allow steel core?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    M855 has much worse fragmenting abilities than M193.
    M855 is slightly more expensive than M193.
    M855 CAN have WORSE penetration ability up close than M193 (for velocity reasons).

If you don't use it for HD/SHTF, then it won't really matter. I must say though, M855 is a bad choice for zombies when compared to M193.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    r3t1awr3yd said:
    So M855 will destroy steel targets? Hmmm, I guess my minds made up if I want to buy steel targets to shoot on my friend's farm. Hmmmm...

What did you want from it that you weren't getting?

Zombies get steel core?? That's what I REALLY needed to know :D:thumbsup:

Cresap/Hap Baker/Myrtle Grove will probably become my best friends until MSAR and Continental build indoor rifle ranges... Do those three allow steel core?
    If you going MG. Make sure don't get the m855( steel core). The frown on that. Or better yet, just about every public range. Just FYI.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Cresap is a no go for green tip ammo.

BTW, not all M855/SS109 ammo has a green tip. There was some British Radway Green surplus a few years back with no green tip.

One European ammo maker actually used black paint for their M855 ammo, meant for civilian sales.

Heasdstamps and checking actual bullet construction, cutting a bullet in half, is sometimes needed.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Realistically, this is going to be used as range ammo, so just get whatever is cheaper (which is probably XM193). Also, as others have pointed out, a lot of ranges don't allow steel-core ammo, including many of the ones in the area, so you'll be able to shoot XM193 in a lot more places as well. The choice is a no-brainer to me.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    m193 - 55 grain will fragment SS109 will not. m193 is steel target friendly. At most ranges the m193 will be more accurate as it doesn't have a three piece bullet head.

Good luck

Jerry

Hitman4509

Dec 7, 2010
    PG Co
    The great thing about Palmetto is that you can mix and match up to 1000rds of .223/5.56 for the same $12 shipping. If you are looking for target rounds, get more m193. I would get a few boxes of m855 though and load up a few magazines with it, cuz you just never know what you're going to have to shoot at/through if shtf. Also, if you're looking for a decent, moderately priced HP round, check out their Prvi Partisan Match grade. You can get a 200rd sleeve of 75gr for around $90 last time i checked.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    The great thing about Palmetto is that you can mix and match up to 1000rds of .223/5.56 for the same $12 shipping. If you are looking for target rounds, get more m193. I would get a few boxes of m855 though and load up a few magazines with it, cuz you just never know what you're going to have to shoot at/through if shtf. Also, if you're looking for a decent, moderately priced HP round, check out their Prvi Partisan Match grade. You can get a 200rd sleeve of 75gr for around $90 last time i checked.

I didn't know about the mix and match for the same cheap shipping. YOU sir, just made up my mind for me :D:thumbsup:

I'll check out that match grade round too. Thanks :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom