• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    About a year and a half ago I bought this cheap and cheesy Savage MK-II at Wally World for $117. I didn't own a bolt .22, had room in the safe and bucks in my pocket so it followed me home. I put a cheap Simmons 4x32 scope on it, took it to the range once and said "cool - I have a cheap and cheesy .22 that works OK." Since then it's been in a back corner of the safe.

With the Labor Day weekend going on I knew the range I frequent would be very crowded yesterday. Rather than try to chase brass I wanted for reloading I opted for a basic menu of .22's. I gave the Savage another chance to impress me and laser bore sighted the scope Friday night to hopefully get it "close".

To my surprise it was darn close to on target with Thunderbolts at 75 yds yesterday. With a little tweaking CCI Minimags put me in the center. I'm thinking maybe if I feed it good ammo, give it some range time and practice, it’s at least worth what I paid for it – even if it is cheesy. So it did its job and impressed me. :)

Anybody else shoot one of these little "Walmart Cheapies" What have your experiences been?

Attachments

• Savage MKII R.jpg
      Savage MKII R.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 389
    • Savage MK-II Target 09_05_10.jpg
      Savage MK-II Target 09_05_10.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 382
    Last edited:

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    the Savage MK II's are hardly POS--try it with match level ammo and you will find that it will match a lot of rifles costing three and four times as much. the only weakness on the older models is the trigger and I hear the accu II triggers have corrected this. I have a 900TR and have used it on the woods walk and out shot folks using scoped rifles at the various distances. the 900TR comes with match peep sights and a 25" bull barrel.

Nov 17, 2008
    the Savage MK II's are hardly POS--try it with match level ammo and you will find that it will match a lot of rifles costing three and four times as much. the only weakness on the older models is the trigger and I hear the accu II triggers have corrected this. I have a 900TR and have used it on the woods walk and out shot folks using scoped rifles at the various distances. the 900TR comes with match peep sights and a 25" bull barrel.

I have the FVT MarkII. I agree, hardly a POS. Mine has ghost sights, and is a lot of fun and really accurate. The single shot version is actually available at an amazing price from CMP (http://www.odcmp.com/Programs/JrRifles.htm#Smallbore).

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

JSW, thanks. I agree this rifle isn't really a POS so I edited my post. It's a surprisingly accurate "Walmart Cheapie".

Synthetic stocks on bolt rifles don't do much for me. That's not my taste. I can't see putting upgrade money into this inexpensive .22 than I already have. But it's definitely earned some more range time with me. I like how it shoots.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    900TR

comes from the factory set this way, except for the rear sling attachment.

Attachments

• P9090039.JPG
      P9090039.JPG
      58.1 KB · Views: 363

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    lyman peep in rear and Anschutz globe with replaceable inserts up front. I use it for off hand practice at 100 yrd. even with my old eyes and off hand it can put them in the center. shooting the woods walk with it I missed once, pulled to the left.

plamarre1

Sep 8, 2010
    N.Y.
    The Mark 2 F is far from a cheapie. Where I'm at we have a lot of feral cats that are a real problem. I have made quite a few head shots from 75 to 100 yards with no scope. I couldn't ask for a more accurate 22. Try different ammo. I use cci velocitors and when they aren't available I use winchester super x with no problems.

amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    Savage MK II

I too have one of these and it is super accurate. And with the Remington CBees it is super quiet. I actually am going to supress it whenever I get my paperwork back. :party29:

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Well i think after seeing this tread and after all the responses I got in my Marlin VS Savage thread i think I found my bolt 22lr.:thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Well i think after seeing this tread and after all the responses I got in my Marlin VS Savage thread i think I found my bolt 22lr.:thumbsup:

I had my Walmart Savage out again last weekend and it performed even better than its last range trip. It's not doing 1/4" groups at 100 yds, but I don't expect that from it or me. But it's a helluvalot of cheap plinking fun.

I followed your other thread, so, which did you find better for you?

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I had my Walmart Savage out again last weekend and it performed even better than its last range trip. It's not doing 1/4" groups at 100 yds, but I don't expect that from it or me. But it's a helluvalot of cheap plinking fun.

I followed your other thread, so, which did you find better for you?

I haven't bought it yet but the Savage for now and maybe a Marlin later. .22lr is my favorite caliber.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Old thread that I'm re-energizing.. I saw the MK II with SS barrel on Cabelas.com for 239.00 with AccuTrigger.

I'm looking for a bolt trainer to teach the kids but also to work on my natural point of aim, breath control etc.

Does anyone know of a retailer around that has this in stock and what kind of price they are asking?

Nov 17, 2008
    Old thread that I'm re-energizing.. I saw the MK II with SS barrel on Cabelas.com for 239.00 with AccuTrigger.

I'm looking for a bolt trainer to teach the kids but also to work on my natural point of aim, breath control etc.

Does anyone know of a retailer around that has this in stock and what kind of price they are asking?

Take a drive up to Cabelas in PA. I believe you can purchase non-reg long guns in tristate area. CHeck some of the other threads on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom