May 22, 2005
    MSI_Banner.jpg

In this issue:
    1. Second Amendment Foundation Files Suit In Maryland
    2. SAF Moneybomb
    3. Brian Murphy Campaign Announcement
    4. Meeting August 8th

1. Second Amendment Foundation Files Suit In Maryland

The Second Amendment Foundation has filed a suit against the Superintendent of the Maryland State Police and the Maryland Handgun Permit Review Board. The suit challenges the provision of the Maryland permitting process that requires applicants to demonstrate cause in order to be issued a permit to carry a firearm.

You can see the SAF press release here.

The complaint can be viewed here.

The Baltimore Sun has an article on the suit here.

The SAF has taken on what will likely prove to be the definitive case on the 2nd Amendment's application to Maryland in our lifetimes and we salute them for this undertaking that will shake the very foundations of this state's discriminatory policies. We'll continue to support them in any way possible and will keep you apprised of the case as it advances its way through the labyrinth of the court system.

2. SAF Moneybomb

In an effort to show our continued appreciation of the SAF's fine work in restoring the rights of Maryland citizens, MSI is going to financially support their efforts. To that end, we will be mailing them what will we hope be a big fat check on Monday August 9. How much will that check be? That depends on you!

As has been our longstanding policy, we only ask you for money during the membership renewal period in September and when we have a specific project that we are financially supporting. We know how annoying it is to be bugged constantly for a handout for ill-defined purposes so we don't engage in that sort of business model.

This is one of the times where we must stand up as a community and demonstrate our commitment to supporting those that are supporting us. In this case, we want to support the SAF.

We will announce the amount of the check at the MSI general meeting on August 8th.

What we need you to do: We know many of you have already joined the SAF or sent an independent donation and salute you for your efforts. We want to send a message that Maryland gun owners can unite behind them with one voice. Thus, any donations that we receive between 7/29/10 when the suit was announced and midnight 8/7/10 will be sent in one sum to the SAF in support of their continued efforts. Any amount makes a difference! Even a $5 or $10 donation is amplified many times when we all speak together.

Donations can be made on the website.

3. Brian Murphy Campaign Announcement

Several of you have asked us about the press release issued by the Murphy for Governor Campaign late this week in which MSI affirmed our support for his position on the reform of the permitting process.

Very simply, MSI supports those that support our mission statement and our goals to make Maryland a shall issue state.

Thus far, the Murphy campaign is the only one in the gubernatorial race to take a position on the 2nd Amendment and is, thus, the first to receive an affirmation of that position from MSI.

If the other gubernatorial candidates wish to issue similar pledges to do away with the current discriminatory system, we'll be happy to issue similar statements affirming their position.

4. Meeting August 8th

The next meeting of Maryland Shall Issue will take place on Sunday, August 8th at 2:00pm at Anne Arundel Fish and Game in Annapolis. We will have a brief business meeting followed by several candidates who will address the group and take questions regarding their positions on our issues. We're still confirming participants, but will have the list out to you this week prior to the meeting.

We'll also be accepting dues payments for the 2010-2011 term which runs from October 1 through September 30. Anyone who pays at the meeting will have their membership run until September of 2011. Regular dues are $10 and Executive Membership dues are $50. EMs have input on policy decisions and are allowed to vote for the board of directors and officers. If you wish to apply for EM status, you will need to submit a brief letter of application to the board at info@marylandshallissue.org.

Maryland Shall Issue, Inc.
    P.O. Box 314

Libertytown, MD 21762-0314
    240-446-6782​
    Mission Statement: Maryland Shall Issue is an all volunteer, non-partisan effort dedicated to the preservation and advancement of all gunowners' rights in Maryland, with a primary goal of CCW reform to allow all law-abiding citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon; and to the education of the community to the awareness that 'shall issue' laws have, in all cases, resulted in decreased rates of violent crime.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    One question on the group donation. Would we still get the SAF membership if the money was sent through MSI? For instance, I was planning on doing the $150 to become a life member. If I sent it through you guys would I still get the membership or is this basically designed for people donating directly for the lawsuit cause?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Great idea on the bulk check. When you get close to the date post the amount so far at that time and maybe we can get a round-up rally going! Noone likes to see odd amount checks!

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    One question on the group donation. Would we still get the SAF membership if the money was sent through MSI? For instance, I was planning on doing the $150 to become a life member. If I sent it through you guys would I still get the membership or is this basically designed for people donating directly for the lawsuit cause?

I'm not sure how we'd be able to keep track of all of that. We're just going to send them one bulk check to represent all of the donations we get this week.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    For the record one more time, the statement supporting Murphy's position on administratively "fixing" the methodology off permit issuance is just that....support of his position.

If another candidate wishes to make a similar statement, they will get equal support.

Unfortunately, I see nothing on either of the other two major candidates' pages that indicates any support for the RKBA. I would like it to be otherwise.

As of August 2nd, nothing from the Ehrlich campaign. If a candidate doesn't take a stand on our issues, it's a little hard to support him.

Pardon me if I don't hold my breath waiting for the statement from the O'Malley campaign :rolleyes:

From the Ehrlich page August 2, 2010:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
      Picture 1.jpg
      85.5 KB · Views: 378

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Is it just me or shouldn't the MSI meeting be slammed this weekend with the recent developments?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Is it just me or shouldn't the MSI meeting be slammed this weekend with the recent developments?

Might have to turn people away. The building is only rated for around 110 people or so.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Thank you to everyone for their donations thus far! I think that you're going to be surprised at how much we are going to be able to send to SAF on Monday.

(and no....I won't announce it until Sunday :rasp:)

If you've not had a chance to donate to the effort, you can use the link in the Update at the top of the thread.

Squaredout

The Widows Son
    Mar 25, 2010
    Thank you to everyone for their donations thus far! I think that you're going to be surprised at how much we are going to be able to send to SAF on Monday.

(and no....I won't announce it until Sunday :rasp:)

If you've not had a chance to donate to the effort, you can use the link in the Update at the top of the thread.

Don’t laugh but I just was able to figure out how to make a pay pal payment. It was my first time using it. I made my first ever transaction to MSI. It was a small amount but I think any amount helps.:party29:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Don’t laugh but I just was able to figure out how to make a pay pal payment. It was my first time using it. I made my first ever transaction to MSI. It was a small amount but I think any amount helps.:party29:

EVERY bit does help. I know that when I first got involve years ago I had no money to give, so I gave a lot of time since I had plenty of that. Things have shifted a little for me now so I give a little time and a little money...

Feels good to be a part of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom