Frederick, MD: Multi-State CCW Course (Utah, Florida, Virginia)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marksmen Masters

Firearms Training Academy
    Jul 12, 2010
    Loudoun County, VA
    Marksman Masters Firearms Training Academy is pleased to offer Maryland residents the ability to participate in our Multi-State Concealed Firearms Permit Courses. We offer monthly training in Northern VA (Loudoun County), as well as frequent classes in Frederick, MD. The next Multi-State CCW Course for Utah, Florida and Virginia CCWs will be held on Monday evening, 16-August from 6-10pm in Frederick, MD. The cost of the course is only $130 and includes all fingerprint and application services. For more information and to register, please visit www.HelpMeShoot.com

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Nope, you can get a FL permit by simply watching the MD gun safety video... It's pretty lax.

I don't think they are accepting the Maryland safety card anymore as they have a live fire requirement. They were rejecting the Maryland card and had a minimum of an NRA course as a requirement, which has a live fire segment for any of the pistol courses. They may have started accepting the Maryland card again, but I know there were a few folks who got rejected for it in the past here.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I don't think they are accepting the Maryland safety card anymore as they have a live fire requirement. They were rejecting the Maryland card and had a minimum of an NRA course as a requirement, which has a live fire segment for any of the pistol courses. They may have started accepting the Maryland card again, but I know there were a few folks who got rejected for it in the past here.

When? I used my Indiana Hunter's Education card (online test for like $15) as my proof of training. I could've used competition results, but i was easier to supply and copy, and they accepted it no problem. This was September of 2009 I got mine.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    When? I used my Indiana Hunter's Education card (online test for like $15) as my proof of training. I could've used competition results, but i was easier to supply and copy, and they accepted it no problem. This was September of 2009 I got mine.

Can't remember when they did it, I'm thinkin it was late last year or the beginning of this year. Look around in the Florida CCW posts and you'll find it though. The Indiana hunter education is not the same as the maryland on line training vid, I don't know why they stopped accepting the Maryland one but I seem to recall them saying they required live fire to one of the guys here. Don't remember all the details but I do remember guys getting rejected here using the Maryland card.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Doesn't Florida require a live fire session for their permit?
    Nope, you can get a FL permit by simply watching the MD gun safety video... It's pretty lax.

The following is taken directly from Florida's web site. The reason some of the Maryland training certificates are not accepted is that they do not carry a signiture from an instructor unlike the old certificates that were singned by an instructor. The on-line certificates do get through from time to time but not always. I have spoken to several people who this has happened to and just as many that got their permits. Keep in mind if you use the on-line Maryland certificate it could be rejected. They take any States Hunter education Certificate. As for live fire, I missed the last line of the paragraph which clearly shows that live fire must be observed by the instructor. Thanks for pointing it out in the next post Jim. Mdeng

Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;​

Last edited:

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    The following is taken directly from Florida's web site. At this time there is nothing indicating that live fire is required. ]

Perrin - that is not true anymore as of 12/09. If you are using a gun safety class from an NRA instructor, you must undergo a live fire component and the instructor must maintain that record. Its sucks, but its true.

The application criteria requires the applicant read Chapter 790 of the Florida statute before applying. The application states:

You are required by law to read and become knowledgeable of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes, relating to weapons and
    firearms, prior to submitting your application for a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. A copy of Chapter 790, Florida
    Statutes, is included with the application material for you to retain.

and then 790.06 (H) says.....

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one
    of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety
    course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
    Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms
    safety or training course;
    3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course
    or class available to the general public offered by a law
    enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public
    institution or organization or firearms training school,
    utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle
    Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training
    Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and
    Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or
    training course or class offered for security guards,
    investigators, special deputies, or any division or
    subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a
    firearm through participation in organized shooting
    competition or military service;
    6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in
    this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless
    such license has been revoked for cause; or
    7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course
    or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle
    Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the
    courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor,
    school, club, organization, or group that conducted or
    taught said course or class attesting to the completion of
    the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any
    document which shows completion of the course or class
    or evidences participation in firearms competition shall
    constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph;
    any person who conducts a course pursuant to
    subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7.,
    or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such
    courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she
    observed the student safely handle and discharge the
    firearm;

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification. I knew I had heard that Florida was requiring live fire. I never worried about it because we always use the NRA Basic Pistol course as certification for Florida.

So, not to stir up stuff, but to the original poster, how are you conducting a Utah, Florida and Virigina CCW course in just 4 hours in the evening? It takes us approx. 5-6 hours to conduct just Utah with no live fire. Are you conducting a live fire session?

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    So, not to stir up stuff, but to the original poster, how are you conducting a Utah, Florida and Virigina CCW course in just 4 hours in the evening? It takes us approx. 5-6 hours to conduct just Utah with no live fire. Are you conducting a live fire session?

I'd be interested in hearing that too. I'm always looking for ways to be more efficient in our training sessions.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Almost 2 weeks and still no answer to my question or any further responses????? Also, I think and introduction on this forum is appropriate before you start posting your courses.

Bryan Fletcher

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Almost 2 weeks and still no answer to my question or any further responses????? Also, I think and introduction on this forum is appropriate before you start posting your courses.

Bryan Fletcher

Looks like the OP was their only post on the forum. Maybe they haven't been back since then?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Looked up his web site and according to his course outline and the small disclosure at the bottom of the course description, his course does not meet the Florida requirements. He may have changed his course though and could be doing a first step pistol kinda course now as well.

He has not been back to the web site since July 12 when he posted his post, just fishin for some customers I guess.

From the web site:
    While this course will review the basic safety fundamentals related to firearms, this course is not a live fire course and all discussions of firearms related laws is restricted strictly to Utah BCI.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Looked up his web site and according to his course outline and the small disclosure at the bottom of the course description, his course does not meet the Florida requirements. He may have changed his course though and could be doing a first step pistol kinda course now as well.

He has not been back to the web site since July 12 when he posted his post, just fishin for some customers I guess.

From the web site:
    While this course will review the basic safety fundamentals related to firearms, this course is not a live fire course and all discussions of firearms related laws is restricted strictly to Utah BCI.

Found out a LOT more info about this "offering" and it may be stopped here very shortly. Utah is VERY protective of their courses. I'm not going to mix words, it's deceptive. Be above board, answer questions posed and how about a specific location?? In case anybody questions, I do have a vested interest in this but I also have a vested interest in not letting my fellow MDShooters get suckered into something.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Found out a LOT more info about this "offering" and it may be stopped here very shortly. Utah is VERY protective of their courses. I'm not going to mix words, it's deceptive. Be above board, answer questions posed and how about a specific location?? In case anybody questions, I do have a vested interest in this but I also have a vested interest in not letting my fellow MDShooters just suckered into something.

I think you already know we're on the same page bro! Read more about the courses on his web site.

Take Bryan's class. He's a great guy, it's worth it and he obviously knows his stuff! :party29:

He sucks and couldn't hit a barn if he was locked inside.:D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    He sucks and couldn't hit a barn if he was locked inside.:D

:lol2:

Oh snap Bryan, your gonna have to see what your S.A. will do against his Wilson. :innocent0

Nevermind the men behind the triggers. Everyone knows 1911's shoot by themselves into one ragged hole, and just let the operator enjoy the ride. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom