Anyone have experience with the new AAC Ti-Rant cans?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I'm looking at them now. They are new, and I'd probably go for the 9mm first and then try to save for the 45 down the line (I do not have a 45 now, so it's double savings I need to do).

I'd be putting this on a Glock 19 or 17 with an after-market barrel.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I have recently used an AAC TiRant 9 on a Sig P226 Elite Dark. It's great. What else can be said? The can is super light and very well made. I shot subsonic rounds outdoors without muffs and it was pretty quiet.

But it's not "hollywood quiet". You still get a decent "clack" sound from the gun when you shoot it. Don't expect to get the hollywood "zoop, zoop" (which must be more akin to a silenced .22).

As you may have read, the TiRant 45 just started shipping again. Apparently, it was held up by a big military order (or so AAC says on its blog site). You can get the TiRant 9 now, but the wait for the TiRant 45 is a question mark at the moment.

I've also shot the AAC Evo45 (predecessor to the TiRant 45) on a P220. To my ears, the sound level between the suppressed 45 and suppressed 9 was very similar. But I did NOT shoot them back to back, so I may be way off there. (Others may disagree?)

I'm just thinking that if suppressed 9 and suppressed 45 are comparable loudness, it might make sense to go with the 45 as it's got more power, especially compared to subsonic 9.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Thanks guys. I'm glad some of you have done my research for me. :)

I saw how light it was, and AAC has a good rep.

Where are you guys ordering from? I previously bought a can from Bryon at Major Malfunction. If anyone knows of an MD place with the Ti-Rant 9 in stock, I could save a few weeks waiting on the Form 3 transfer.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Thanks guys. I'm glad some of you have done my research for me. :)

I saw how light it was, and AAC has a good rep.

Where are you guys ordering from? I previously bought a can from Byron at Major Malfunction. If anyone knows of an MD place with the Ti-Rant 9 in stock, I could save a few weeks waiting on the Form 3 transfer.

Thanks again.

+1 on Major Malfunction. You will have a hard time finding someone that will beat his prices and/or availability especially in MD.

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Call Engage Armament and see if they have any, that's where my Tirant 45 is at. Whatever you do dont deal with Polite Society, very hard to communicate with and they take forever to ship even after the form 3 has been approved.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    My last silencer purchase had the form 3 take three weeks, but it was busier back then (last summer). I will start with Engage and then hit the net.

Thanks for the warning on Polite Society. Hate when they do that.

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Yep that's me. It has a little extra thump to it. And it kicks back a lot of crap, but it might be because the host gun (hk tactical) was dirty. I haven't found any poi shift but I was at 35ft at the range and it was dead on. I like it, I like it alot.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I'm also looking at the Silencer Co. Osprey 9. Engage will be getting some soon. It has a larger internal chamber and an eccentric design for a lower profile -- no sight interference. They are a new company but offer a lifetime warranty (assuming they stay open, which looks likely).

Same price (AAC dropped the TiRant price to match these guys, which says AAC thinks SilencerCo has a good product).

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Yeah I met the SilencerCo guys at Shot Show earlier this year. Very cool cans, the 9mm cans are full auto rated. Very interesting design and cam/lever mechanism as well. They picked up where AAC left off with their Blackbox it seems. Silencer Co definitely gives AAC a run for their money as far as sound reduction and design go.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Patrick, I am mulling over the same 2 cans. Could it be a Calvert County thing? I have a suppressed 9mm AR and a bunch of 158gr. ammo, and a threaded Sig P226, but no 9mm can for it yet.

Got a $750 price quote on the TiRant 9 from Major Malfunction. Didn't get an Osprey 9 price from him. He has both ready to ship right now. I was talking to 2a about doing my transfer. Seem like nice guys with fair prices as close as you can get to Calvert.

My host P226 has trijicon sights and it aprears neither can will clear those, but the Osprey will holster and looks different so I am leaning that way. I would love to try them before buying but I don't know how to acomplish that before impatience gets the best of me. I am pretty sure neither will be as quiet as my AR 9mm integral, but close would be good enough not to disappoint.

Never been to Engagement Arms before. Is it worth finding? Do they have an indoor range to use while you wait for your ppw?

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    I like *Engage Armament* (not Engagement Arms). Its in the basement of a Model Train store. They have great Customer Service and on saturdays they have Daisy in the shop. I go to them for all my Class III stuff.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    BoatBio: Never been to Engage Armament (thanks, Ak44 for the correction). I only spoke with them on the phone.

Byron at Major Malfunction called me about 30 minutes ago. The Ti-Rant is now out of stock but incoming in the next 30 days. I was distracted and completely forgot about the Osprey so have no idea on stock or price. Engage had them coming "soon", though.

I am thinking of heading to Engage today to check them out. I have no idea if they have a range. Sounds like they do not, based on other descriptions and their website.

And I do think there is something in the Calvert County water. Maybe the fact most of us drink from wells attached to an aquifer than runs under the Calvert Cliffs Reactors?

sigs4me

Sep 19, 2009
    They do not have a range. Ted is the owner, and Tom is his sales manager.

Indeed they do not have a range but for some customers that are waiting for the ATF Tom will bring their suppressors up to Gilberts so they can shoot them until they can take delivery.(Pretty sure you would need to be a member of Gilberts for this to take place..

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Update: Just now bought a SilencerCo Osprey 9 suppressor from Bryon Gaston at Major Malfunction. Price was $699 (no tax) plus $19 shipping. Retail on this model is $850 everywhere else.

I settled on this model because it's eccentric design does not impede sights and it will fit into existing holsters I have because it is designed to have the same side/top clearances as the gun. And the fact AAC dropped their Ti-Rant prices to match SilencerCo tells me they think the quality is good, too.

Bryon has them in stock and is shipping to my FFL as soon as the Form 3 clears.

The nice folks at Engage said it could be a while before they got either the Osprey or the Ti-Rants. And they were $150 more plus tax, although the fact that Bryon had them in stock was more of a deal maker.

I will give Engage a chance on the next purchase, but it sounds like they are doing good business either way.

This will go into my trust. Will let you all know how it goes when it finally clears ATF.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom