Admin
    May 22, 2005
    In this issue:

1. SB516 - Assault Weapons Ban of 2010 Withdrawn
    2. What are they really trying to do?
    3. Activist's Tools
    4. Workers needed for the MSI Table at Silverado Gun Show Feb 20-21

1. SB516 - Assault Weapons Ban of 2010 Withdrawn

Congratulations folks! Your sustained efforts at making your voices heard have resulted in the sponsor of SB516, Senator Lenett, withdrawing the bill as of Tuesday. We know from first hand knowledge that the incredible pressure, to the tune of several hundred emails and calls a day, brought to bear upon the sponsor of this bill was responsible for the sponsor pulling it. We have just a little time to pat ourselves on the back for a job well done, but we mustn't be complacent and believe that the rest of the session will be as easy. Keep up the great work and put down the other bills that we oppose and voice your support for the others. Remember, we are only as effective as the sum effort of our individual members.

2. What are they really trying to do?
    We have to wonder if these high profile bills that are garnering our community's attention are not a distraction on two fronts. First, they are trying to dilute our efforts on the shall issue and civil immunity bills. Secondly, we think that the AWB and Gun Owner Licensing bills are feints to cover their real intentions which are to pass bills that will make it more difficult for dealers to stay in business, create a registration list of all firearms sold in Maryland and to pass legislation that will ultimately develop into the ammunition logs that we defeated last year. If you compare the language of SB167 with some of the language contained in HB820/SB645, you will see that it is nearly identical with regards to the record keeping requirements. It is important that we continue to exert our influence on all of the bills below.

March 2
    HB776 Criminal Law - Home Invasion Crime of Violence - Support

March 11
    HB354 Public Safety - Possession of Ammunition for Firearms - Penalties - Oppose - backdoor justification for the ammunition logs from HB1446 last year.
    HB683 Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Repeal of Finding Requirement - Strongly Support - Repeals the "good and substantial" clause for the issuance of permits to carry a handgun.
    HB820 Firearm Safety Act of 2010 - Strongly Oppose - We covered our analysis of this bill here.
    HB893 Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Victims of Domestic Violence - Support
    HB905 Criminal Law - Prohibitions on Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Exceptions - Support

SB44 Criminal Law - Use of Firearm in the Commission of a Crime of Violence or a Felony - Oppose
    SB167 Regulated Firearms - Application for Dealer's License - Record-Keeping and Reporting Requirements - Strongly Oppose - our response was covered here.
    SB191 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zones - Oppose - our response was covered here.
    SB274 Criminal Law - Violation of Restriction Against Possession of Firearms - Penalties - No position at this time
    SB563 Public Safety - Possession of Ammunition for Firearms - Penalties - Oppose - backdoor justification for the ammunition logs from HB1446 last year.
    SB645 Firearm Safety Act of 2010 - Strongly Oppose - We covered our analysis of this bill here.
    SB743 Criminal Law - Handguns - Transport in Motor Vehicle by Nonresident - No position at this time
    SB842 Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Another State to Current or Former Member of the Armed Forces - Reciprocity - Support

3. Activist's Tools

HOUSE OF DELEGATES TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU:
    Quick email tool
    Find your delegate
    Pre-formatted mailing labels for the House Judiciary Committee
    How to create mail merge letters using pre-formatted labels

SENATE TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU:
    Quick email tool
    Find your delegate
    Pre-formatted mailing labels for the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee
    How to create mail merge letters using pre-formatted labels

4. Workers needed for the MSI Table at Silverado Gun Show Feb 20-21
    We will once again be working our table at the Silverado Gun Show in Upper Marlboro February 20 and 21. Times for the 20th are 9am - 5pm and for the 21st are 9am-3pm. If you can come out and spend the day working to advance our message, please send us a message at info@marylandshallissue.org and we'll get right back to you.

5. Bill requiring ATVs to be registered introduced in the House and Senate
    HB445 and SB466 have been introduced. These bills would require your off highway recreational vehicle to be titled and force you to pay a tax for the privilege. While this subject is far outside the scope of MSI's mission, we know that it will be of interest to many of our members who enjoy the outdoor sports and we provide this to you for your information. The hearing for the House was yesterday in the Environmental Committee. The Senate hearing date is tomorrow in the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee. You can email both committees using the quick email tool in the Activist's Tools above.

Maryland Shall Issue.org
    P.O. Box 314
    Libertytown, MD
    21762-0314
    ph. 240-446-6782

Mission Statement
    "Maryland Shall Issue is an all volunteer, non-partisan effort dedicated to the preservation and advancement of all gunowners' rights in Maryland, with a primary goal of CCW reform to allow all law-abiding citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon; and to the education of the community to the awareness that 'shall issue' laws have, in all cases, resulted in decreased rates of violent crime."​

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Norton - great stuff. Everyone needs to pass this along and make sure it's visible on every forum. KEEP IT UP. I can't access the Facebook thread from work, but please someone get this info on there.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Norton,

I would like to see, and maybe MSI will, change SB842 from simply support, to strongly support. SB842 is a great start to reciprocity and gets the camels nose under the tent so to speak.

Thanks,

Mark

PS - Great news about the success so far, MSI is doing a great job staying on top of this!

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Shopping for another rifle immediately. One of those evil black ones with all the thingys on it.

Great job everyone, and thanks to MSI for all your hard work and persistence.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Norton,

I would like to see, and maybe MSI will, change SB842 from simply support, to strongly support. SB842 is a great start to reciprocity and gets the camels nose under the tent so to speak.

Thanks,

Mark

PS - Great news about the success so far, MSI is doing a great job staying on top of this!

While we absolutely support it, we feel that the other bills deserve more attention right now for a whole bunch of reasons.

SB842 is a good bill, and you're right - it's a good small step. With that said, there have been many who don't like the idea of creating yet another class of citizen who is more equal than others in the issuance of permits. This type of thing has been discussed at the general meetings and while everybody agrees that it's not a bad idea, nobody could agree that it's a great idea.

The issuance of "support" vs "strongly support" was based on the opinions of MSI's membership, not just what The President and Board of Directors think of it.

Also, the bill's sponsors didn't give MSI any info on the bill ahead of time, nor did they discuss the bill with anybody. Without intimate knowledge of the bill's sponsor's intentions and game plan, it's hard to exert a lot of energy on it this year with all of the anti-gun bills they've launched upon us.

I hope that doesn't come across as sounding bitter, but we got burned last year by one of our bill's sponsors who showed up to the hearings woefully unprepared, and we had spent a lot of time and resources getting as far as we did with the bill.

No doubt our military members have great interest in this bill, and I'd really like to see them step up and take the lead on working the bill through the legislature. They'll take it far more seriously if the people that the bill actually affects are spending time to see its passage rather than the same old' gun guys showing up in support of what they'll see as just another pro gun bill.

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    Great work my former colleagues. I wish you the best in the coming months. The bastards only win if you quit!!

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Norton: You already reported this, but this is merely confirmation, which i received from Delegate Impallaria:

Senate Bill 516 - Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2010

has been withdrawn by its sponsor, Senator Mike Lennett, of District 19
    (Montgomery County).

Hurray for our side!

Rick Impallaria
    Delegate, District 7 (Baltimore & Harford Counties)

TheSwiftOne

Nov 24, 2008
    Swift - crimes of violence and felonies are already illegal. Why do we need another law to make violent assault more illegal if a firearm is involved?

If that is what the bill amounts to I would be neutral toward it. The way I see it, if a person commits a crime give the authorities as much ammo as possible to put them away for a long time. It will help keep me safer and reduce the odds of me having to use my legally owned firearms against their assumingly (yeah, i know, ass u me:rolleyes:) illegally owned firearms.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    If that is what the bill amounts to I would be neutral toward it. The way I see it, if a person commits a crime give the authorities as much ammo as possible to put them away for a long time. It will help keep me safer and reduce the odds of me having to use my legally owned firearms against their assumingly (yeah, i know, ass u me:rolleyes:) illegally owned firearms.

Agree with ya there, but we can't afford give the antis an inch. Especially on redundant bills. They work for you, and legislation like this is a waste of time, and therefore your money.

Martian

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 15, 2007
    PG Co.
    Waiting for the other shoe to drop

I think that, given all the machinations of Bloomberg, the Bradys, and the "public health" bunch, they are going to use the "illegal trafficking" mantra to pass as much anti-2A legislation as possible.

They certainly knew the AWB wouldn't fly, and they seem to be trying to put key bills on the same day as the McDonald v. Chicago hearing at the SCOTUS (March 2), or having them on so many days or at the same time in the senate and house that we can't have a good representation, as others have already opined. They always make us wait until most legislators have left for the day on the really important bills, and even go past the time the last shuttle runs to thin us out.

I suspect they put out the AWB because it always draws such a huge response--they wanted us to gear up for it and waste our resources. They know for a fact that civil immunity, CCW, and anything that smells of registration or banning will draw us in.

It's despicable that legislators would play with citizens who only want to assert their natural rights.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I've had several conversation with folks downtown today and I can tell you that the first hand reports are that the pressure is being felt. Some offices are reporting 200-300 email/phone contacts a day on our issues alone.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    In one sense, I'm kind of glad most of the legislation will be heard on March 11 - I think it will be far easier to get a huge number of people to show up for just one day as opposed to trying to get people to be there several different days.

I'll definitely be there and have an extra seat if anyone from Howard County wants to ride along.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    In one sense, I'm kind of glad most of the legislation will be heard on March 11 - I think it will be far easier to get a huge number of people to show up for just one day as opposed to trying to get people to be there several different days.

I'll definitely be there and have an extra seat if anyone from Howard County wants to ride along.

We need to make a showing on the 11th!

We cannot have too many people show up. For those of you on the fence about attending these hearings... jump off on the Annapolis side. Since it is a work day, the turn out by the "Usual Suspects" will be light. Do not count on others to stand up in your place. Now is the time for everyone to make an extra effort to be there. Let our Representatives see some new faces and to understand that Fighters for Maryland 2nd Amendment Rights are more than just a few well known individuals.

Be sure to introduce yourself to me! :D

-Boxcab

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom