NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    In this issue:

1. Assault Weapons Ban Introduced in the Maryland State Senate
    2. Activist's Tools

1. Assault Weapons Ban Introduced in the Maryland State Senate

Well folks, just when you thought that there might be some hope that the anti-gun faithful members of the Maryland State Senate had learned their lesson about proposing nonsense bills like bans on so-called assault weapons, they prove otherwise.

Senator Mike Lennett (D), District 19, Montgomery County has introduced SB516, the Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2010. His co-sponsors are a veritable Who's Who of the anti-gun wing of the Senate.

Now's the time to head this thing off before the hearing is even scheduled and let the members of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee know that Maryland citizens will not tolerate such an egregious infringement on their rights in the name of political grandstanding.

SB516 Facts:

•Expands the definition of the assault pistol ban to encompass all firearms designated as assault weapons.
    •Anything determined to be a copycat of the named firearms would be included. Given the Maryland State Police's very liberal interpretation of what constitutes a copycat, we see this list encompassing any firearm that meets the required criteria of looking scary.
    •Includes semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines that also have threaded barrels.
    •Includes semi-automatic shotguns with folding or telescoping stocks that also have a pistol grip or thumbhole stock
    •Bans forward pistol grips.
    •You must REGISTER your firearms before December 10, 2010 so that you have the luxury of being able to keep the firearms you already own.
    •Naturally, this bill does not apply to governmental agencies, but they do give you the option of rendering your firearm permanently inoperable.

Here's what we need you to do:

•Contact your Senator and let them know that you oppose SB516.
    •Contact the members of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee and let them know that you oppose SB516
    •Spread the word to your fellow gun owners. Reinforce to them that this is not really just about "assault weapons". It is about launching the first strike in a continual erosion of the ability to own any firearms in Maryland. We must stick together.
    •All of the information you need in order to make mail contacts can be found in the Activist's Tools below.
    •Use the phone list below to make phone calls to the member of the Judical Proceedings Committee. Tell them that you oppose SB516.
    •Remember to stick to the facts when making your contacts. Avoid over emotional rhetoric that only fuels their stereotypes of our community.

Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee Phone Numbers
    Senator Brian Frosh - 1-800-492-7122 ext 3124
    Senator Lisa Gladden - 1-800-492-7122 ext 3697
    Senator James Brochin - 1-800-492-7122 ext 3648
    Senator C. Anthony Muse - 1-800-492-7122 ext 3092
    Senator Jennie Forehand - 1-800-492-7122 ext 3134
    Senator Jamin Raskin - 1-800-492-7122 ext 3634
    Senator Larry Haines - 1-800-492-7122 ext 3683
    Senator Brian Simonaire 1-800-492-7122 ext 3658
    Senator Nancy Jacobs 1-800-492-7122 ext 3158
    Senator Norman Stone 1-800-492-7122 ext 3587
    Senator Alex Mooney 1-800-492-7122 ext 3575

2. Activist's Tools

HOUSE OF DELEGATES TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU:
    Quick email tool
    Find your delegate
    Pre-formatted mailing labels for the House Judiciary Committee
    How to create mail merge letters using pre-formatted labels

SENATE TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU:
    Quick email tool
    Find your delegate
    Pre-formatted mailing labels for the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee
    How to create mail merge letters using pre-formatted labels

Maryland Shall Issue.org
    P.O. Box 314
    Libertytown, MD
    21762-0314
    ph. 240-446-6782

Mission Statement
    "Maryland Shall Issue is an all volunteer, non-partisan effort dedicated to the preservation and advancement of all gunowners' rights in Maryland, with a primary goal of CCW reform to allow all law-abiding citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon; and to the education of the community to the awareness that 'shall issue' laws have, in all cases, resulted in decreased rates of violent crime."​

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Thanks for kicking out this update as fast as you did! I know you had a lot on your plate today, especially with HB207 being heard in Annapolis. Thanks again for all that you do. :thumbsup:

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Thanks for kicking out this update as fast as you did! I know you had a lot on your plate today, especially with HB207 being heard in Annapolis. Thanks again for all that you do. :thumbsup:

+1000 :party29:

This is why I'm so happy to be a part of this community - you guys help so much to keep me informed and aware of what's going on in MD politics. I too thank you for everything you and MSI do. Sorry I couldn't make the most recent Open Holster Rally in Annapolis.

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    Just sent emails to all on committee, In case you don't have tis resource here's a link to check out. http://www.gunfacts.info

None of the information comes from pro gun groups, so it might hold up better in debate.

Part of my email:

ASSAULT WEAPONS

“Assault weapon” is an invented term. In the firearm lexicon, there is no such

thing as an “assault weapon.” The closest relative is the “assault rifle,” which is a

machine gun or “select fire” rifle that fires rifle cartridges.1 In most cases,

“assault weapons” are functionally identical to hunting rifles, though cosmetically

similar to military guns.

Myth: Assault weapons are a serious problem in the

U.S.

Fact: In 1994, before the Federal “assault weapons ban,” you were eleven (11) times

more likely to be beaten to death than to be killed by an “assault weapon.”2 In the first

year since the ban was lifted, murders declined 3.6%, and violent crime 1.7%.3

Fact: Nationally, “assault weapons” were used in 1.4% of crimes involving firearms and

0.25% of all violent crime before the enactment of any national or state “assault

weapons” ban. In many major urban areas (San Antonio, Mobile, Nashville, etc.) and

some entire states (Maryland, New Jersey, etc.) the rate is less than 0.1%.4

Fact: Even weapons misclassified as “assault weapons” (common in the former Federal

and California “assault weapons” confiscations) are used in less than 1% of all

homicides.5

Fact: Police reports show that “assault weapons” are a non-problem:

For California:

• Los Angeles: In 1998, of 538 documented gun incidents, only one (0.2%)

involved an “assault weapon.”

• San Francisco: In 1998, only 2.2% of confiscated weapons were “assault

weapons.”

• San Diego: Between 1988 and 1990, only 0.3% of confiscated weapons were

“assault weapons.”

• “I surveyed the firearms used in violent crimes...assault-type firearms were

the least of our worries.”6

1 Department of Defense Small Arms Identification and Operations Guide

2 FBI Uniform Crime Statistics, 1994

3 FBI Uniform Crime Statistics, Preliminary Summary, 2004

4 Targeting Guns, Gary Kleck, Aldine Transaction, 1997, compilation of 48 metropolitan police

departments from 1980-1994

5 FBI Uniform Crime Statistics, 1993

6 S.C. Helsley, Assistant Director DOJ Investigation and Enforcement Branch, California, October 31, 1988

Last edited:

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    E-mail sent to my state senator and representative. Copy as follows - feel free to cut/paste and send as well:

Dear <name>…

It has come to my attention that legislation has been introduced into the Maryland State Senate that would further intrude on our 2nd Amendment rights – Senate Bill 516. As a citizen of Carroll County, I strongly oppose this legislation. It is my hope and wish that you will vote to end this nonsense, as well as any future attempts at limiting the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens in this state. Furthermore, I would hope that future legislation would overturn the current restrictions of 2nd Amendment rights that are unlawfully placed upon on the citizens of Maryland, and that are enjoyed and upheld by many other states. I look forward to viewing your voting record on 2nd Amendment matters. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Apone (well, not really, but you get the idea)

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Today, their phones should be clogged with our incoming calls.

We need to shut the switchboard down.

Simply call and say, "I want to register my opposition to SB516".

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Today, their phones should be clogged with our incoming calls.

We need to shut the switchboard down.

Simply call and say, "I want to register my opposition to SB516".

When you do this, will they ask for any information. And if they do, should we give them said information???

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    When you do this, will they ask for any information. And if they do, should we give them said information???

They will ask for information. Give it to them. This has go to be above board all the way.

They will oftentimes ask if you are a constituent. Some refuse to listen to anyone who is not.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    For those who didn't see this in the other thread, just making it a little easier for you to call the right folks on this bill:

Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee

Brian Frosh - Chairman of the committee AND a co-sponsor of this bill!
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3124 (toll free)
    e-mail: brian.frosh@senate.state.md.us

Lisa Gladden - Vice Chair
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3697 (toll free)
    e-mail: lisa.gladden@senate.state.md.us

Jim Brochin - 2A friendly!
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3648 (toll free)
    e-mail: jim.brochin@senate.state.md.us

Jennie Forehand
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3134 (toll free)
    e-mail: jennie.forehand@senate.state.md.us

Larry Haines
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3683 (toll free)
    e-mail: larry.haines@senate.state.md.us

Nancy Jacobs - 2A friendly!
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3158 (toll free)
    e-mail: nancy.jacobs@senate.state.md.us

Alex Mooney
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3575 (toll free)
    e-mail: alex.mooney@senate.state.md.us

Anthony Muse
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3092 (toll free)
    e-mail: anthony.muse@senate.state.md.us

Jamie Raskin - co-sponsor of the bill!
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3634 (toll free)
    e-mail: jamie.raskin@senate.state.md.us

Bryan Simonaire
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3658 (toll free)
    e-mail: bryan.simonaire@senate.state.md.us

Norman Stone - 2A friendly!
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3587 (toll free)
    e-mail: norman.stone@senate.state.md.us

Co-sponsors not named above

Mike Lenett - lead sponsor!
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3151 (toll free)
    e-mail: mike.lenett@senate.state.md.us

Joan Conway
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3145 (toll free)
    e-mail: joan.carter.conway@senate.state.md.us

Ulysses Currie
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3127 (toll free)
    e-mail: ulysses.currie@senate.state.md.us

Nathaniel Exum
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3148 (toll free)
    e-mail: nathaniel.exum@senate.state.md.us

David Harrington
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3745 (toll free)
    e-mail: david.harrington@senate.state.md.us

Verna Jones
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3612 (toll free)
    e-mail: verna.jones@senate.state.md.us

Delores Kelley
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3606 (toll free)
    e-mail: delores.kelley@senate.state.md.us

Nancy King
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3686 (toll free)
    e-mail: nancy.king@senate.state.md.us

Richard Madaleno
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3137 (toll free)
    e-mail: richard.madaleno@senate.state.md.us

Nathaniel McFadden
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3165 (toll free)
    e-mail: nathaniel.mcfadden@senate.state.md.us

Paul Pinsky
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3155 (toll free)
    e-mail: paul.pinsky@senate.state.md.us

James Rosapepe
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3141 (toll free)
    e-mail: jim.rosapepe@senate.state.md.us

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I've sent the Senate Judiciacy committee by 100% opposition to this horrible bill.
    I have called Senator Alex Mooney's office today and made my statement
    against this horrible bill. Eveyone flood the phone lines and emails to your senator.

updated email today
    Senator Stone wholeheartedly agrees with you and he OPPOSES SB 516. Thank you for your email, JoAnne, Legislative Assistant

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    If this gun ban passes, I will not be cooperating.
    I will NEVER cooperate with any type of gun registration/confiscation scheme EVER.
    I don't want to move to Virginia, I was born and raised in Maryland.
    We must fight this and we must win!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Protect me from myself...

More so, protect me from hurting the cause...

The first one I sent to Pugh and the second one I want advice before I send it to Frosh:

Dear Honorable Pugh,

I am in opposition to "SB516, the Maryland Assult Weapons Ban of 2010". Preventing the ownership of these guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens will not make the state of Maryland safer.

I believe *strongly* that our forefathers wanted the people armed to protect us from everything from bears, thieves, gangs, oppressors both foreign and domestic. The security at my work place is not only the job of the Security Department, but everyone's job. The "law-abiding Maryland residents" are exactly the right people to keep and bear arms.

Thank you,

Dear Honorable Frosh,

As a Maryland resident I am in opposition to SB615, the Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2010. Preventing the ownership of these guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens will not make the state of Maryland safer.

I believe *strongly* that our forefathers wanted the people armed to protect us from everything from bears, thieves, gangs, oppressors both foreign and domestic. The security at my work place is not only the job of Security Department, but everyone's job.

The term "Assault Weapon" is not in the firearm lexicon. The "assault rifle" that you might be getting it confused with is a weapon that our military troops use and is a rapid fire gun often called a machine gun. Those assault rifles are Class III weapons requiring a special license, thus very trackable. Many hunting rifles now days have the cosmetic appearance to the military weapon, but are not machine guns.

I hope you can learn more about the weapons of today and the laws already established and that would free up more of your time. Please consider the real meaning of the second amendment, as well, when deciding on new laws.

Thank you,

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I think the other thread is more current in general, but thought I would update this point here also: Deborah at Mike Miller's office just called me to say he is OPPOSED to SB 516.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom