• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    The other old weapon about which I have questions is my father-in-law's old Marlin. I don't believe this has been fired in over 40 years.

This Marlin Safety Rifle has patent dates of 1887 & 1889. The serial number is 442XX. The 27" octoganal barrel is chambered for .44W.

The receiver is nicely engraved; scroolwork on the right side, scrollwork and a deer on the left.

I want to shoot this rifle! But first, I want someone knowledgable to go over it and tell me it's safe to fire. (I'm thinking about getting into Cowboy Shooting.)

I alos need an assessment as to whether this rifle is just too old and valuable to fire.

I'll take opinions and recommendations for a gunsmith familiar with such a weapon.

Thanks.
    DJH

Attachments

• DSCF0125.jpg
      DSCF0125.jpg
      92.5 KB · Views: 723
    • DSCF0126.jpg
      DSCF0126.jpg
      75.1 KB · Views: 672
    • DSCF0124.jpg
      DSCF0124.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 665
    • DSCF0127.jpg
      DSCF0127.jpg
      89.9 KB · Views: 670

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Call Gun Connection, talk to Ron, he'll want to see it. He's a fellow lever gun junkie and I suspect this would be right up his alley. That is a BEAUTIFUL rifle Sir.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    From where you live I would suggest sending Clandestine a PM and see if their shop, Scott's Gunsmithing, up in Glen Burnie will look it over for you. I would imagine even if it checks out okay your best bet for the health of the weapon would be to stick to low power loads as were the standard when the rifle was made. There is a lot of reduced pressure cowboy action ammo available out there nowadays.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Two words: black powder. It's designed for it and the .44 WCF case has thin walls that expand, seal the chamber and reduce blow-back and fouling. And you can't get any more period correct!

I can't find an exact year of manufacture, but I'll bet it's early 1900s, pre-World War One. What a gorgeous piece it is!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What a gorgeous piece it is!

Many of our members are willing to show us gorgeous family heirloom guns here, but I think this may be the prettiest I've seen. It truly is a magnificant looking weapon.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Many of our members are willing to show us gorgeous family heirloom guns here, but I think this may be the prettiest I've seen. It truly is a magnificant looking weapon.

I can't agree more. That rifle is a true beauty!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Your rifle is very, very special. Check out this example:

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/marlin-1889-rifle-44-40-collectible.htm

That one is $1950.00 for a standard production carbine, no checkering, no "fancy" walnut, no engraving, no pistol grip, no tang sight, no half-magazine.

Here's mention of another, plain round barrel in .38 caliber, for $3750. (On another site, I saw it stated that .44 WCF commands a 15% premium.)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_t...1889_38-40_marlin_safety_octagon_barrel_rifle.

The question now is, where can you find a qualified appraiser?

I don't think you want to use that one for Cowboy Action Shooting.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Stunning. One of the most beautiful rifles I have seen, and hands down the most beautiful lever action I have seen outside of a museum.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You have an amazing old rifle Sir, that's what you have. Lever actions seem to be very much prized by the right collectors.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Scott's in Glen Burnie has this gun and another old (1908) S&W pistol. The bore on the Marlin looked good. Scott's is cleaning both weapons up. I can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom