• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    You are one optimistic guy. I like that line of thinking. But I think for that to happen in 9 months we would need a trifecta:

#1 McDonald to be incorporated "Substantially" and requiring strict scrutiny of all anti-2A laws

#2 Palmer to be decided on 2A-friendly terms at the Circuit level with no Supreme Court intervention (possible)

#3 MD lawmakers to not drag their feet and force years of lawsuits before complying with the law.

#1 and #2 are out of MD purview. But you can bet the liberals in the MD House and Senate will fight and drag things out, unless someone somewhere starts making money from suing governments that "infringe civil rights".

My guess is a cottage industry of lawyers forms to fight (and profit from that fight) governments for our newly (un)recognized civil right.

Which means Frosh will probably jump sides.

With this line I think you have been around cool aid too long.
    Above that, you could be right, and I'm listening to see the outcome.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    You are one optimistic guy. I like that line of thinking. But I think for that to happen in 9 months we would need a trifecta:

#1 McDonald to be incorporated "Substantially" and requiring strict scrutiny of all anti-2A laws

Given. 99.44% sure on this 'Fundamental' right to be incorporated against the States. Substantial Due Process (SDP) due to being a Fundamental Right (Heller precedent). The only wildcard in my book if this will be Heller 2, or will the SCOTUS address the 'Bear' in addition to the 'Keep'. Self Defense as a RIGHT will be addressed outside the home. They'll back away from concealed carry, but will rule Bear/Carry as protected in the 2A, which they didn't do in Heller. Too many innuendos in McDonald & Heller on this, it should be addressed in my opinion. If they are going to incorporate the 2nd, they'll address all of it that wasn't addressed in Heller, particularly the Bear/Carry aspect outside the home. The right of Self Defense does not end at your property line. Do this once and let the Circuit Courts take it from there.

#2 Palmer to be decided on 2A-friendly terms at the Circuit level with no Supreme Court intervention (possible)

Icing on the cake but not required...if the entirety of the 2A is Incorporated via SDP. SDP will require Strict Scrutiny be applied on all laws written against that Fundamental right. Strict Scrutiny starts with the assumption that any such law is first Unconstitutional. The State must argue that compelling state interest exists, they must prove these interests. With 40 plus or minus states allowing shall-issue ccw or open-carry, their likely arguments will fail quickly. The burden of proof will be on the state to justify any law against this right.
    http://www.conservapedia.com/Substantive_due_process

#3 MD lawmakers to not drag their feet and force years of lawsuits before complying with the law.

We need to start greasing the wheel now. Composed letters and/or petitions to the Attorney General are a start. To the General Assembly second. Make them see the writing on the wall, express the costs to the state in fighting what are unconstitutional laws. I wish I could get a number on what Richard (Dick) Daley is costing the tax payers in Chicago for a lost cause...

NRA, SAF, MSI, Cato are groups/institutions that have already contributed greatly in these causes. Hell...between Palmer or California's Sykes v. McGiness, one could almost write a case against MD on these alone regarding carry laws.

#1 and #2 are out of MD purview. But you can bet the liberals in the MD House and Senate will fight and drag things out, unless someone somewhere starts making money from suing governments that "infringe civil rights".

My guess is a cottage industry of lawyers forms to fight (and profit from that fight) governments for our newly (un)recognized civil right.

Which means Frosh will probably jump sides.:rolleyes:

My point is that this outcome seems pretty obvious, at least to me. 2010 is going to be a great year. We should plan the fight for post-McDonald before the decision in the June timeframe. Some form of carry (whether open or concealed) should hopefully be very easy to secure.

This locomotive is gaining some steam...

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I am with you (and so is a decent portion of the non-gun-toting legal establishment, according to the blogosphere).

I'd really like to see McDonald address the "bear" aspect, but I think we'll need to wait on Palmer. We will probably get more hints and innuendo, all aimed by the majority at "steering" future cases (Palmer).

I think the argument over the meaning of "bear arms" is a lot more clear than "the militia and the comma", but I think the anti's will fight it tooth and nail anyway.

So I handicap it as being in 2011, with the caveat that I want to be wrong and for you to be right. Dinner on me if you call this one right...

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Working in the .Gov establishment and seeing how slow good things go (as opposed to 'bad' things, maybe even bad things), I (like Patrick) look to 2011 for MD positive outcomes.

I, like Patrick again, really hope that Krucam is right. I'd be in for splitting the cost of dinner and a couple of drinks. :)

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Great catch.

Interesting that Gura said a "Good Win" would minimally include a fundamental view of the "right to keep and bear arms". Seems obvious, but I'm not sure what he hopes for in the "bear arms" part of the clause. He didn't directly argue the bearing aspects.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Stevens has been a thought leader on the Court and marshaled some decisions by getting fence sitters to go his way -- notably Kennedy. He's a big loss for the more liberal wing of the Court. I really don't know who can take his place.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Expect June 29th as the release date for McDonald. June 30th is the official last day but I figure there will be a big retirement party in the office that day.

-Boxcab

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    Stevens has been a thought leader on the Court and marshaled some decisions by getting fence sitters to go his way -- notably Kennedy. He's a big loss for the more liberal wing of the Court. I really don't know who can take his place.

From what I saw on Fox, apparently some dumbasses think Hillary should be on the court, how freaking scary is that!!! :tinfoil:

krucam

Ultimate Member
    The letter behind his name means squat to me, its still a scary freaking prospect, stuck for 30 odd years of that creepy bitch on the court... ugghhh, I just threw up a little.

No offense and my remark was probably my being in the political minority here...

I do agree that she would not be that ideal of a judicial appointee for a number of reasons. The rumor was stupid from the get go...

Back to McDonald....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom