• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I just put money down on a new RIA 1911. Only thing is the gun was submerged, to put it lightly, in cosmoline. Anyone have any other ways to clean it off besides completley stripping it apart and wiping down with WD40? I think I can use a can of gun scubber.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I just put money down on a new RIA 1911. Only thing is the gun was submerged, to put it lightly, in cosmoline. Anyone have any other ways to clean it off besides completley stripping it apart and wiping down with WD40? I think I can use a can of gun scubber.

Brake cleaner or one of those "steam sharks" followed by wd40 or submerge in thinner. But honestly, just take it apart. 1911 is a piece of cake.

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    I just went through it with mine.

Tear it apart and use gun scrub, hot water, and wd40

Attachments

• stuff 006.jpg
      stuff 006.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 364

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    +1 for the steam cleaner. melts it right off and some hot soapy water can get whatever's left behind. then some kind of eezox or other protection lube

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Probably a bad idea, but I used plain gasoline to clean up my SKS. It worked very well.

In the past week someone else had a posting about using gasoline as a solvent. A number of years ago I spent some time at Bayview Medical Center - the regional burn unit. I got to know alot of burn patients. Like the therapists said, "just put gasoline in your gas tank - not for anything else". You really don't want is to learn about gasoline the hard way. Suffering from burns is both physically and emotionally painful and you'll have to deal with it the rest of your life. My injury was not burn related. But I learned from talking to all the patients. There are much safer solvents to use for cleaning.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I used mineral spirits and a bucket. Take gun apart, drop parts in bucket and let sit for a while. When you take them out you can just wipe the stuff off and your done cleaning it. Make sure you oil it well afterwards though cause the mineral spirits take all the oils off as well.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I used mineral spirits and a bucket. Take gun apart, drop parts in bucket and let sit for a while. When you take them out you can just wipe the stuff off and your done cleaning it. Make sure you oil it well afterwards though cause the mineral spirits take all the oils off as well.

I totally agree with 3rdrcn with using the mineral spirits to clean that crap off. We used mineral spirits to clean cosmoline off of these huge chains that were used to drive the escalators in the Metro when they were new, and the big steel main railes used to guide elevators. The chains came with so much of that crap stuck to them that it still took quite a while to get them clean. Mineral Spirits will remove any lube on the parts that you're cleaning, but so will just about anything that's used to get this stuff off.

Either way you do need to lube your gun up real good once you use something strong enough to clean that off. If you don't oil what you cleaned down immediately, you may get a little surface rust if left untreated. And no-one wants that to happen to such a nice piece as a 1911 or any gun for that matter.

No matter what you use, make sure you are in an open area so you can breathe without pulling the fumes into your lungs. And make sure you protect your hands as well. Not only will these chemicals remove the oils from your hands and cause them to crack real bad (if what you use will get the cosmoline off, it's some bad stuff) but these chemicals will also get into your blood-stream which will cause numbness in your hands after about 15 minutes of use. It may not mess with you immediately, but later on you'll wish you took some type of precaution. (ask me how I know after years of being around this stuff)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I just hosed and rubbed my mosin wiht WD40 until it all came off. What a bonding experience!

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    soak it in diesel for about ten minutes, spray it with pine sol let it soak a few minutes, rinse with hot water then dry with compressed air and lube it up.

case XX

Jun 19, 2008
    AA County
    I like simple green and water to clean my guns followed by the lube of your choice if I am doing a full tear down. Boiling water works best but is more trouble so often I don't bother with it. Can't say that I have tried it on cosmo but I would expect it to work well, it's cheap and has tons of uses around the house and in the garage. It is also biodegradable which can't be said of most of the chemicals commonly used for cleaning purposes, at least not the ones that work.

case XX

Jun 19, 2008
    AA County
    Never thought of that, ever have rust problems?

Nope, just dry well after cleaning and prior to reassembly. That's where the boiling water helps, due to the heat involved the water evaporates quickly but again I frequently don’t bother with the hot water.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    +1 for the steam cleaner. melts it right off and some hot soapy water can get whatever's left behind. then some kind of eezox or other protection lube

I love the smell of Eezox in the morning. I think I'll go apply some right now.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    w00t! I used the search and found this. now my question:

Getting the cosmo off wood...like on my MN 91/30?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom