• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oliverz

May 19, 2009
    Baltimore
    I've tried doing some searching for this question, but haven't seen it specifically addressed. I apologize if I should have searched harder...

I'm looking to get my c&r, you guys are making me sooo excited about it. :party29:

I understand that you must have your c&r firearms shipped to the address that your c&r is registered at. My problem is that I now live in a row home in Baltimore city. Not the best place to have a gun left on the front steps. Maybe this is a silly question, but can I just pick up firearm packages at the local UPS distribution center? Like if no one is home to sign for it they will take it back and I can go pick it up there?

Also, if I need to move to another address in a year, how difficult is it to change your c&r address?

Thanks all!!

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    I have picked up at the depot once in the past but only after they made two trips to my house when nobody was home. Not sure thats the norm.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've picked up at the depot alot.

The key is to make sure shippers use the signature required option. That way you get the yellow slip.

Just call the number and tell them you are picking it up when you get the slip and you get it that same day.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    When you get a tracking number and the package is actually in UPS's hands call 1800 PICKUPS, give them the tracking number and request that it be held at a distribution facility. It will either be held in Cockeysville or the Halethorpe area. They normally only allow you to pick them up in a 1 hour window at night (cockeysville is from 8-9)

**edit** that man above me is sneaky... berry berry sneaky....

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I have tried several times to have a package held for me.. Both Fedex and UPS require an initial delivery attempt before any modification to route.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Depends on the Shipper. By law they can only ship to C&R address. I have had some that will not tell ups to hold but have to wait for a missed delivery (make sure you insist that theres an adult signature - that should help avoid the drop and runs). Others will hold - you just have to plead. These guys worked with me the best on that - http://www.ssmedwi.com/Pistols page 2.htm

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    More than likely it will be Age 21+ Signature required and they will not leave it on your door step. Once they attempt delivery and you get home and see the note on the door call them and let them know you will be coming to pick it up that night. They will say your package will be available to pick up from 8-830 in Street, MD. Be there early. You and 100 other people are going to stand in line to pick up packages in a 30 min time window.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I've tried doing some searching for this question, but haven't seen it specifically addressed. I apologize if I should have searched harder...

I'm looking to get my c&r, you guys are making me sooo excited about it. :party29:

I understand that you must have your c&r firearms shipped to the address that your c&r is registered at. My problem is that I now live in a row home in Baltimore city. Not the best place to have a gun left on the front steps. Maybe this is a silly question, but can I just pick up firearm packages at the local UPS distribution center? Like if no one is home to sign for it they will take it back and I can go pick it up there?

Also, if I need to move to another address in a year, how difficult is it to change your c&r address?

Thanks all!!
    The address on your license is the location of your collecting activities, but you can recieve your C&R at any location.

§ 478.50 Locations covered by license. The license covers the class of business or the activity specified in the license at the address specified therein. A separate license must be obtained for each location at which a firearms or ammunition business or activity requiring a license under this part is conducted except:
    (a) No license is required to cover a separate warehouse used by the licensee solely for storage of firearms or ammunition if the records required by this part are maintained at the licensed premises served by such warehouse;
    (b) A licensed collector may acquire curios and relics at any location, and dispose of curios or relics to any licensee or to other persons who are residents of the State where the collector’s license is held and the disposition is made.3
    The mailing address is the address the ATF uses to contact you.
    THe license address is the location where you have to keep a copy of your bound book and records.

Change of address seems easy, but do it well in advance.
    § 478.52 Change of address.
    (a) Licensees may during the term of
    their current license remove their business
    or activity to a new location at which they
    intend regularly to carry on such business
    or activity by filing an Application for an
    Amended Federal Firearms License, ATF
    Form 5300.38, in duplicate, not less than
    30 days prior to such removal with the
    Chief, National Licensing Center. The ATF
    Form 5300.38 shall be completed in accordance
    with the instructions on the form.
    The application must be executed under
    the penalties of perjury and penalties imposed
    by 18 U.S.C. 924. The application
    shall be accompanied by the licensee's
    original license. The Chief, National Licensing
    Center, may, in writing, require
    the applicant for an amended license to
    also file completed ATF Form 7 or ATF
    Form 7CR, or portions thereof, in the manner
    required by § 478.44.
    http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/27cfr_part478.pdf

YOu can order a form F 5300.38 from right here: http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    The address on your license is the location of your collecting activities, but you can recieve your C&R at any location.

The mailing address is the address the ATF uses to contact you.
    THe license address is the location where you have to keep a copy of your bound book and records.

Change of address seems easy, but do it well in advance.
    http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/27cfr_part478.pdf

YOu can order a form F 5300.38 from right here: http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

Most businesses will not ship to a different address than is on your license so this really doesn't matter. It's a CYA thing and a way for them to make sure you are the one ordering it the best they can.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Most businesses will not ship to a different address than is on your license so this really doesn't matter. It's a CYA thing and a way for them to make sure you are the one ordering it the best they can.

True, but you can purchase from private parites from out of state as well and they may not have the same issues. Also I guess if you have a good rapport with the company and are a known customer, they might not have a problem.
    I knew an 01 FFL who recieved shipments at his house sometimes and not his place of business.

oliverz

May 19, 2009
    Baltimore
    A quick question on obtaining the form; I saw a couple of BATF phone numbers on another c&r thread (a couple of months old) and the suggestion that it was quicker to obtain a form through calling rather than the online form. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the great help here guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom