• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    ooohh, me likey.... "Hello Maryland? The Constitution here. Listen, you've got some work to do, and a fight ahead of you if you keep ****ing with me."

hehe, I can smell freedom in the air. Even though the Dems are in office....
    My feet are cold.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Damn, I just read it, does this mean NY is now shall issue and that the restrictions in NYC may be found by NY state courts to be unconstitutional too?
    Wow!

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Damn, I just read it, does this mean NY is now shall issue and that the restrictions in NYC may be found by NY state courts to be unconstitutional too?
    Wow!

thats what im thinking. should be quite a few cases coming forward in the near future

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    thats what im thinking. should be quite a few cases coming forward in the near future

BUt I think Alan Gura has already filed one with NYC and I think it was right after the Heller decision was released. That means it might be decided in out favor in a lower court soon maybe.
    What a trip.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    isn't supreme court like 1 step above traffic court in NY ? isn't court of appeals the law of the land there ? I'm a former New Yorker and i remember somethoing about this from grade school...

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    isn't supreme court like 1 step above traffic court in NY ? isn't court of appeals the law of the land there ? I'm a former New Yorker and i remember somethoing about this from grade school...

kinda. Not all states have the same judicial structure of the Fed.

courtstructure_civil.gif

You want to see an interesting state go look at Louisiana. Roman Law vs. English Common.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    can someone give me a quick blurb on what "incorporating the 2nd amendment" means?

Washington DC is a federal district, so the Heller case overturning the handgun ban based on the Second Amendment applies to the federal government. However, since there were a few cases in the past about the Second Amendment after the 14th Amendment was passed (the Amendment applying definitively the 5th Amendment's wording to the states and not just applying to the federal government) which claimed the RKBA was not an individual right which the states could not restrict because it was not a right included under the 14th.
    However, there are three things about this, one is that the previous cases dealt with the "collective" or "colective/individual" right of the militias aspect of the 2A meaning that the states had a right to regulate their own militias however they see fit, but the Heller case was sepcifically asked about the individual right to keep and bear arms when NOT in a state militia so thereby answering a question never asked before and not adressed in the post 14th Amendment court cases about the 2A.
    THe other question is if all civil rights in the Constitution are aplicable at the state level period, but this has been pretty much well settled by association to the 14th Amendment (and other means) to apply to things like the First Amendment and more importantly in my book it has been found to apply to the Third Amendment. A state infringment of the 3rd Amendment by a state militia (unfederalized national guard at the time) was found, so the incorporation of the 3rd Amendment to the states can be the same incorporation of the 2nd in my unqualified opinion.
    The third part is.....well, I forgot while writing this post and maybe I will remember later.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    This is great news! I'm sure it will be appealed, but an overturn is not automatic after Heller.

If you want to help get the ball rolling in Maryland, join us on August 1st for the "Open Holster" protest in Annapolis. See the "Events forum".

-Boxcab

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom