• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    My first impression is that I should have bought another RUGER....or Rock Island, or S&W, or a frickin HiPoint, lol...

Gun was cleaned and lubed before going to Freestate.

I took 10 mags with me, and 4 different ammo types...200 rounds total.

Mags were MecGar black & shiny ones, Ruger stainless ones, and Chip McCormack 8 and 10 round stainless ones.

Ammo was 50 rds of Freedom Munitions, 50 rds of Federal Aluminum, 50 rds of Perfecta, and 50 rds of Federal American Eagle...

Loaded up all the mags...

Gun would NOT chamber any first round from any magazine.

Actually jammed the 1st round against the lower portion of the feed ramp on a half dozen rounds, making them junk and much shorter from forcing the bullet into the cartridge...

I took half the rounds out of each mag, and some fed the "1st" round, and some didn't...It got better but very aggravating and by the end of the trip, still would not chamber the 1st round ouyt of a FULL magazine.

These magazines work flawlessly in my SR1911, since DAY ONE.

I know the Remington seems like it is much tighter fitting, as far as the slide to lower is concerned, but I surely didn't expect the gun to be all but un-useable for half a magazine full.... :tdown:

It is also much more uncomfortable shooting than my SR1911. The Ruger shoots very easy for a 45. This one feels like a 45 subcompact...actually was hurting my wrist.

Going to try again...maybe tomorrow. I'm going to strictly use just the included Remington 7 round mags (since I did NOT try them yet), and see what happens...

I do know, that right NOW, I 100% regret this purchase...:sad20:

Why would this pistol require such a "break-in", and NONE of my other handguns have EVER needed more than a box or two to be "good" to go?

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    This is the first negative thing I've heard/ read/ watched about the R1. Call Remington? Send it back?

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    This is the first negative thing I've heard/ read/ watched about the R1. Call Remington? Send it back?

That's why I bought it. Never heard a bad word about them. Like I said, I'm going to try again, and only use their mags, and see what happens. There was no difference in what was happening between the different mags or different ammo, which makes me think it either has a problem, or I can only use their mags, which would be very dumb IMO. I thought 1911 Government model mags all interchange, and there's nothing in the owner's manual to contradict that.

I'm surprised. They usually get solid reviews. Keep us posted.

Like said above, that's why I bought it. Never read a bad word.
    I plan to go again tomorrow, and will surely post back.

Even good stuff can be a Friday afternoon or Monday morning assembly :)

This is like a Union Strike, SCAB made gun, lol.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Call Remington. At least give them a chance to make it right. Obviously you'll need to have them schedule a pickup, on their dime. Depending on what they find, it's reasonable to expect them to send back the same gun well-tuned or else a brand new gun.

It happens with every manufacturer. One of my Ruger SA revolvers out of the box was a complete turd. Ruger sent UPS to my door to get it and had it back in my hands about 10 days later in perfect working order with a slick action.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    My first impression is that I should have bought another RUGER....or Rock Island, or S&W, or a frickin HiPoint, lol...

Gun was cleaned and lubed before going to Freestate.

I took 10 mags with me, and 4 different ammo types...200 rounds total.

Mags were MecGar black & shiny ones, Ruger stainless ones, and Chip McCormack 8 and 10 round stainless ones.

Ammo was 50 rds of Freedom Munitions, 50 rds of Federal Aluminum, 50 rds of Perfecta, and 50 rds of Federal American Eagle...

Loaded up all the mags...

Gun would NOT chamber any first round from any magazine.

Actually jammed the 1st round against the lower portion of the feed ramp on a half dozen rounds, making them junk and much shorter from forcing the bullet into the cartridge...

I took half the rounds out of each mag, and some fed the "1st" round, and some didn't...It got better but very aggravating and by the end of the trip, still would not chamber the 1st round ouyt of a FULL magazine.

These magazines work flawlessly in my SR1911, since DAY ONE.

I know the Remington seems like it is much tighter fitting, as far as the slide to lower is concerned, but I surely didn't expect the gun to be all but un-useable for half a magazine full.... :tdown:

It is also much more uncomfortable shooting than my SR1911. The Ruger shoots very easy for a 45. This one feels like a 45 subcompact...actually was hurting my wrist.

Going to try again...maybe tomorrow. I'm going to strictly use just the included Remington 7 round mags (since I did NOT try them yet), and see what happens...

I do know, that right NOW, I 100% regret this purchase...:sad20:

Why would this pistol require such a "break-in", and NONE of my other handguns have EVER needed more than a box or two to be "good" to go?

Wow... Bummer... I hope you get the problem remedied. (pun not intended)

It really sucks to have this happen...

Check your feed ramp and pull the slide and barrel.

Check the rear of the top of your magazines. Some have a round recess at the back and some have a box shaped recess. This does make a difference where the slide picks up the round on forward travel with some 1911 pistols.

Also, some magazines are designed to sit higher in the well. Check that with the slide removed. Insert a rem mag, see how high it sits at the top... Then check one of your other mags to see if it is the same.

Best wishes.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Thanks. I'm sure they'll make it right. That'll really suck if all my other mags won't work in this particular gun.

When the round gets grabbed from the mag, it almost looks like it forces the nose down, which then jams the whole gun.

I'm going to try chambering and clearing rounds with the 2 Remington mags, and then pending what happens then, call them and see what they want me to do .

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's reasonable to expect a full-size 1911 to work with both types of mags. If Remington makes a 10-round mag for it, maybe get one or two of those to see if it's a universal 10-round mag issue.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    It's reasonable to expect a full-size 1911 to work with both types of mags. If Remington makes a 10-round mag for it, maybe get one or two of those to see if it's a universal 10-round mag issue.

All but 2 of the CMC mags were 8 rounders. But I agree, I would think a Government 1911, mag would fit and work in a Government 1911...we'll see.

:stupid: :rofl:

I've had my Remington since they came out and it's never had a hiccup. Remington will make it right.

I'm sure they will...just was part of a great day...then broke down in my old clunker Chevelle on the way home...3rd time in as many weeks. I'd have definitely shot the dang car up.....but it wouldn't chamber a round...lol.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Surprising to me as my R1 has been flawless with either the factory mags or Wilson Combat Elite Tacticals (8's) feeding Freedom, WWB, SD rounds whatever.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sounds like a trip to Remington may be in order. Also....

Low magazine height as indicated. Try the mag catch out of the SR1911 if you don't send it back. If it improves get an EGW high shelf mag catch...works. You have to fit it or have it fit but it is well worth it.

Remove the slide/barrel assembly and wipe off the frame feedramp. Look at the bottom of the window the slide stop hold open lug goes through when assembled. The bottom of the feedramp should be somewhere close to that - about .400". If it is considerably closer a return to Remington is in order.

Also, 8 round mags built on the 7 round mag length are notorious for soft springs. They need to cut the spring to get in the 8th round in. Extra power spring or a mag made as an 8 rounder would be more appropriate. I typically convert most of my early eight round mags to 7 rounders when they start to misbehave.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom