Buying a pre '64 Winchester '94. What's a fair price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    This rifle was listed as Superb! 98%. It's serial numbers place it as a '63. Anyway, my question is, if you were in the market for this rifle, what would you be willing to pay? What's a fair, market value for it? etc. etc. From the pictures supplied, it looks beautiful. Also, the bore and rifling is supposed to be near perfect as well. Just looking for some reassurance. Just to give a background, I've got a Henry Big Boy 44, a JM marked Marlin in .357. This will complete my lever collection in 30/30.
    image.jpg

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a 1962 in close condition and I have been offered $1000 for it. I turned it down as it was a family inheritance, but the values are all over the place.

What is the asking price of you don't mind?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick

Looks like a big crack in the stock at the wrist, from what I see the metal looks good, but a good original buttstock will be hard to find for under $200. If the stock wasn't cracked I think a fair price would be about $600-$650. As is I would not pay more than $400. I have been looking for a stock set for a mid 50's1894, that someone did treestand art on, and have not found a good stock set for it 2 years for under $250. There is a decent buttstock with on ebay for $165 right now, but it has one big mark on it.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Did you pick that up at today's Redding Auction, it looks like their hang tag?
    I'm glad that's not a crack.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks like it's in decent shape. I think $650-700 is more than fair if in very good condition. There's still a lot of pre-64 Model 94s available. I thought that they would be hard to find when shopping, but so many were produced/sold, that I found a lot of options. There is a $200-300 premium over the later produced rifles (esp from 1965 to the mid 1970s, many of which are in the $350-450 range).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Is that a good thing? Was it done that way from the factory? I paid $895.
    If it's in superb condition, as you comment, that's fine. It's sometimes hard to place value on something close to a museum piece (prices can be in a wide band). It's very close to what one would pay for a new Miroku built Model 94 with grade 1 wood, and this one is American built with a machined receiver.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    If it's in superb condition, as you comment, that's fine. It's sometimes hard to place value on something close to a museum piece (prices can be in a wide band). It's very close to what one would pay for a new Miroku built Model 94 with grade 1 wood, and this one is American built with a machined receiver.
    Machined? I thought it is forged?:confused:

Never mind, I just read it was "it was a machined forged receiver."
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/win_pre_64_M94.htm

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Id think $800 to $1,000 would be about right. The only thing that would really top it would have been if it was WWII era production which are a little scarce.

Nice gun.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Finally look at the pics from a computer in the morning. The larger shots look nice! :thumbsup: Better than the condition of my 1938 Model 94 (which was initially dated using inaccurate Winchester resources to 1941 but this online tool indicates is a 1938, explanation here and here). The wood is possibly upgraded too.

I'm tempted to put mine up for valuation there, but need to take better pics first. It looks pretty similar but is in better condition than this one from 1938 (also misidentified to be from 1940), suggesting that I got a deal (which is probably easier to find for guns in the very good condition range vs higher categories).

Btw, I saw the GunBroker ad in which you bought yours, and double checked the serial number (with the same tool), and it checks out as a 1963.

Below are some pics of a couple of the last pre-64 Model 94s ... real beauties (enhanced by great photography) with grade 3 wood ... note the serial numbers relative to yours too ...

(from: http://www.pbase.com/stusmithphoto/antique_firearms ; Stuart Smith photographer)

115909355.F9ywxNyy.TwinMdl94Winchesters5647.jpg

115909354.aDlXabzW.TwinMdl94Winchesters5609.jpg

115909358.3ntTWIBD.TwinMdl94Winchesters5708.jpg

115909361.hKKEpljR.TwinMdl94Winchesters5723.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads