Appeals Court Strikes Down Several Of D.C. Handgun Registration Laws…

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The DC law test was a small thing. That is open book and frankly if anyone could not score a 60% on that you would not want them to have access to a piece of twine or a two wheel bicycle -- or a ballot!

The issue with the law test is: where is a shred of evidence that such tests on a jurisdictions laws have any affect whatsoever, an iota, in reducing "gun violence"?

The constant reregistration was the major issue. Essentially DC had been saying over a 30 year ownership of a firearm they were forcing you to pay $90 FFL premium* plus $38 ten times $380) or $470 more than citizens in practically every other jurisdiction -- per firearm.

own a bolt 22, two self defense handguns (and if you are married you have to have two because your wife cant touch yours), a skeet gun, and say your dad's old 38, stored disassembled, and that is near $2500 in excess fees.

I noted in a prior post DC had streamlined their process recently (all being redone for single $13 to $38) -- but as in the major reductions of harassing laws in 2011, the small summer 2015 changes on registration were only done the MPD and council because of the pending suit.

*when I say $90 premium, what I mean is a normal FFL is $30-$40 and DC's is $125

six6nine9wpk

Jan 27, 2015
    The DC law test was a small thing. That is open book and frankly if anyone could not score a 60% on that you would not want them to have access to a piece of twine or a two wheel bicycle -- or a ballot!

The issue with the law test is: where is a shred of evidence that such tests on a jurisdictions laws have any affect whatsoever, an iota, in reducing "gun violence"?

The constant reregistration was the major issue. Essentially DC had been saying over a 30 year ownership of a firearm they were forcing you to pay $90 FFL premium* plus $38 ten times $380) or $470 more than citizens in practically every other jurisdiction -- per firearm.

own a bolt 22, two self defense handguns (and if you are married you have to have two because your wife cant touch yours), a skeet gun, and say your dad's old 38, stored disassembled, and that is near $2500 in excess fees.

I noted in a prior post DC had streamlined their process recently (all being redone for single $13 to $38) -- but as in the major reductions of harassing laws in 2011, the small summer 2015 changes on registration were only done the MPD and council because of the pending suit.

*when I say $90 premium, what I mean is a normal FFL is $30-$40 and DC's is $125

What are they doing about the FFL fee?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    FFL fees are not set by the Govt. That's up to the FFL. He has no competition, hence outrageous prices.
    I don't know if I would call the fees outrageous. If he is the only FFL in the city he bears the risk of lawsuits from gun crime victims (despite laws against it). His operating costs are likely higher than someone in the suburbs, everything from rent to insurance is more expensive in the city. He is in a largely anti gun city so his client base is limited and perhaps most importantly the vast majority if not all of his business is transfers which aren't exactly a great way to pay the bills. I wouldn't open a FFL business in DC for the reasons stated above even if I could successfully charge $250 per transfer. The relatively small reward is not worth the huge risk.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What's he paying MPDC for rent? Insurance? utilities?

Chances are any victim of a gunshot in DC wasn't shot with a gun Mr. Sykes sold.

Did his prices go down when he moved from SE to 300 Indiana Ave?

IIRC, Mr. Sykes only does transfers for guns purchased out of state. He can't be held liable for transferring a firearm bought elsewhere. seems to me his costs have gone down since moving to 300 Indiana Ave., not up.

just my opinion.

six6nine9wpk

Jan 27, 2015
    What's he paying MPDC for rent? Insurance? utilities?

Chances are any victim of a gunshot in DC wasn't shot with a gun Mr. Sykes sold.

Did his prices go down when he moved from SE to 300 Indiana Ave?

IIRC, Mr. Sykes only does transfers for guns purchased out of state. He can't be held liable for transferring a firearm bought elsewhere. seems to me his costs have gone down since moving to 300 Indiana Ave., not up.

just my opinion.

It was 200 in SE......

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• rent.JPG
      rent.JPG
      30.6 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread