• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Is the GSG-5 rifle considered a regulated forearm in MD?
    thanks.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    no the gsg-5r is not regulated. The gsg5-p and gsg-5pk are regulated as they are considered pistols

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    Try telling that to some dealers in the area. I've been trying to find one in stock. Finaly found one and the dealer said it was a 7 day wait becuse it was a copy of the MP-5. I started to try and explain he was wrong but the price was a bit too high for me to be interested and it just seemed to be easier to let it go.

From what I have read several area dealers are treating this as a regulated rifle.

Is there some form of documentation from MSP we can use to show local dealers they are not required to treat this weapon as regulated?

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Try telling that to some dealers in the area. I've been trying to find one in stock. Finaly found one and the dealer said it was a 7 day wait becuse it was a copy of the MP-5. I started to try and explain he was wrong but the price was a bit too high for me to be interested and it just seemed to be easier to let it go.

From what I have read several area dealers are treating this as a regulated rifle.

Is there some form of documentation from MSP we can use to show local dealers they are not required to treat this weapon as regulated?

sorry there's a line about mile long waiting for the common sense forms. You could direct them to look at the regulated list and the lack of it being on there might convince them that is cash and carry. Or they could be completely retarded and just not sell it thinking its banned

ArmyDV

Krull the Warrior King
    Jan 10, 2009
    I think they are playing it safe, because of:

http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf
    § 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific
    firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that
    firearm:

and since they're considered a copy of the MP5, even though none of the parts are interchangeable... that they're playing it safe.

I am not a FFL...

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I know of one dealer near me that treats the GSG-5 as regulated simply because it has a pistol grip and detachable magazine. Swear to God. He seems to be confused between the old 1994-2004 Federal "assault weapon" definition and the Maryland "assault weapon" definition.

Being that "assault weapon" is a legal term only, and has no technical equivalent, and is defined by the very law(s) that prohibit/regulate their sale or transfer, I can see how a dealer might confuse the Federal definition (which no longer exists) with the Maryland State definition. But, at the same time I expect an FFL to know the laws of the State he's doing business in. I don't want to see good people get in hot water over a legal technicality.

Quattro03

Mar 29, 2009
    Severna Park, MD
    Since I have a private sale pending, I called the MSP Firearms Licensing Division (Pikesville) this week with that very question . I was forwarded to a very helpful Sgt. that said it is in fact regulated...and he was very clear to refer to it as the RIFLE version.

While I might not agree it should be regulated, I simply wouldn't have the time or money to try and defend myself because of a questionable sale (at least in the eyes of our state government)...so better to be safe than sorry as a non-FFL.

Also, the guys at The Armory (Annapolis) and The Gun Rack (Burtonsville) both said they now have to sell it as regulated. Based on the overall market confusion, I think the MSP should put an updated assault rifle list on their website....the current version is dated 2005.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    ...I was forwarded to a very helpful Sgt. that said it is in fact regulated...and he was very clear to refer to it as the RIFLE version....I think the MSP should put an updated assault rifle list on their website...

that's a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it? If he tells you an unregulated rifle is regulated, then he's not being very helpful.

I hear what you're saying. I wouldn't want to take the risk either. But whoever you talked to is either an idiot or the MSP forgot to tell us something. Unless the MSP released information telling us it's not regulated, then it's not regulated.

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    that's a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it? If he tells you an unregulated rifle is regulated, then he's not being very helpful.

I hear what you're saying. I wouldn't want to take the risk either. But whoever you talked to is either an idiot or the MSP forgot to tell us something. Unless the MSP released information telling us it's not regulated, then it's not regulated.

I think the exception to ALL of the rules is that it is a "22 Caliber" rimfire rifle.....Nuff said.:party29:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Last I heard, Freedom armory(being non regulated you can buy one out of state) and Gunconnection sell them as NOT regulated, no interchangeable parts with the HK, and not a copy of a regulated firearm outside of similar looks alone.

The problem with the MD "assault rifle" list is that it was written by asshat politicians that know little to nothing about guns, they simply slapped together a list of sstuff they probably found on google with random BS additions to it that are no longer relevant, and really weren't back then either. The MSP also tries to legislate from the barracks from time to time, in the past, I have been told, I MUST submit a fired casing for a used pistol from an out of state dealer, that an SKS with fixed mag and folding stock was regulated, and an M1 carbine was regulated, turns out none of that is true, and if I called back the next day, another officer would have told me something else, or if I asked for a written letter, they probably would have done more than guess.

There have been others who posted here and at arfcom who said some MSP will tell you it is regulated, others who say it isn't, if I still had to deal with that BS, I would get an explanation in writing from MSP, and post the letter here hoping they don't try to legislate from the barracks of course. In absence of an "official" written ruling however, it is OK to sell as a rifle. When the MSP has to put it in writing, they make darn sure their interpretation is right, probably because it is something tangible that can be challenged where a verbal guess over the phone cannot, and has no real penalty if they answer wrong.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Here is the email I received from Freedom Armory:

Yes we do have them; they are $509.95 plus tax. Pricing is on a cash
    discount basis so check, and debit cards are the same as cash, but credit
    cards incur additional 3%. We can sell to MD resident, but it must be
    transferred through a MD dealer due to a recent ruling by MD State Police
    placing it on the MD handgun list. We can hand you the 22 round magazines
    in PA when you purchase. No sales tax on the gun; there is a $15.00
    shipping fee. If you use Duffy's to receive in MD, they charge $45.00 to
    transfer.

Thanks,
    Janette
    Freedom Armory

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Just glad I got mine before everyones brains melted. Seems people can't tell the difference between a rifle and pistol classification. Is the gsg-l or gsg-lr listed on the regulated list now? or does it say gsg-p and gsg-pk as it did before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom