• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Ok, so, if anyone knows me, or any of my posts on knives recently, you know that I am a total newb to fine knives. I've always had the cheapest of knives, including my EDC, $18 Gerber tanto folder, that I've carried for the last 3 years. And, up until about 2-3 months ago, I never even considered spending over $30 for a knife. Fast forward to May 4th, 10 days ago. My Zero Tolerance 0770cf arrived. It is a real beauty! :thumbsup: Up until then, I had never handled a knife that sharp. But me, never being satisfied, decided I wanted it even sharper. So, I ordered a Lansky's knife sharpener and polishing hones. One, is a fine grit diamond, and the other is a super fine sapphire. After watching youtube video on using this system:

[ytIDzlvWbHxTc[/MEDIA]
    I began reshaping my edge with the fine diamond hone. After I started to feel a slight lip on the other side, I flipped it over and repeated. When I was satisfied with the angle and edge, I began polishing with the sapphire hone. I didn't use any water or oil, per the video's advice. What I ended up with, cuts through paper without ANY weight pushing it, but it's own weight. That is fricken impressive, for my first grind. And a true testament to the Lansky system.
    BEFORE....
    IMG_0741.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Love the shine near the knife's tip in this "after" picture. Too funny. :lol2:

I think that I actually have the same Lansky sharpening system somewhere in a box at home (with a few other knife related items that arrived from Midway months ago). Wanted to resuscitate the edge on an old Spyderco. Generally rotate between carrying a very sharp Ontario (Xm-2), Kizer, or Kershaw (hey, I like the bottle opener), but wanted to start carrying the Spyderco again (before I weakened and bought another!).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm the odd-ball, always done mine by hand.

They're sharp enough to cut what I need to cut, but dull enough to leave a jagged wound if they had to be pressed into defensive use.

Definitely has a nice shine on that edge though.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I got the delux. I may order a leather stropping hone. I was thinking about getting a universal mount for it, but I like my system better...
    IMG_0754.jpg

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have been looking into getting a real sharpening system. First I was going to go the 1" belt sander with 80 grit/ leather strop belts. After reading this post I may consiter this system.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The vise is a good trick that I've always used. Just remember, the finer you go, the more often you switch sides. I always finish on a crock stick(going down on the edge), then back up on the edge. Skinning/gutting knives I want razor sharp. Fighting knives, sharp enough to pierce but, dull enough to hurt.:D

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I got the delux. I may order a leather stropping hone. I was thinking about getting a universal mount for it, but I like my system better...
    View attachment 150638

instead of the leather hone, I just screwed an old leather belt to the workbench downstairs. Toss some mothers polish on it and it does a fine job. Just move the knife along the strop at a consistent angle and lift straight up. So many people jack up their edges by flicking the edge through the strop and increasing the angle at the very end of the motion.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    instead of the leather hone, I just screwed an old leather belt to the workbench downstairs. Toss some mothers polish on it and it does a fine job. Just move the knife along the strop at a consistent angle and lift straight up. So many people jack up their edges by flicking the edge through the strop and increasing the angle at the very end of the motion.
    That's basically what I did. So cool!

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    The vise is a good trick that I've always used. Just remember, the finer you go, the more often you switch sides. I always finish on a crock stick(going down on the edge), then back up on the edge. Skinning/gutting knives I want razor sharp. Fighting knives, sharp enough to pierce but, dull enough to hurt.:D
    Thanks!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A lansky with stones works for profiling and sharpening, but still need something to strop with. Especially with tough premium steel you can usually bring an edge back to razor sharp a few times by stropping alone, and it doesn't remove metal, so the blade lasts longer. Can be something as simple as a piece of cardboard or leather, you can use polish to help clean up the edge faster, but I always finish on clean leather to clean and buff the bevel, and set the edge straight.

A vise or stand works fine for some, I put the lansky on it's back, blade up on the edge of an old desk, hold it down by hand, and pull the stones down, easier for me to see the edge as it's sharpened, and especially to avoid rounding over the tip. The angle of the rods is one of the downsides to the kit, unless you put them in all the stones you plan to use, and bend them all level, your angle might change between stones, and will take a lot longer at finer grits to hit the entire edge. You can use a sharpie to mark the edge, and see exactly where your stone is hitting the blade, the more mark you take off, the closer to the right angle you are, and once you completely grind away the full width of the mark, you are ready for the next finer stone. Doesn't take a long time to get a good edge, but getting one quickly with the least amount of metal taken off is what will keep your knives sharp all the time, while maximizing their life. you can also experiment with different sharpening methods and finishes. I use an Edge pro, have sharpened a knife down to a mirror polish with chrome oxide paste on a glass blank, but almost always sharpen up to 400 grit silicon carbide, then strop it well, leaves a bit more of a toothy edge that actually lasts longer, cuts much better, and seems to strop back to sharp easier.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    A lansky with stones works for profiling and sharpening, but still need something to strop with. Especially with tough premium steel you can usually bring an edge back to razor sharp a few times by stropping alone, and it doesn't remove metal, so the blade lasts longer. Can be something as simple as a piece of cardboard or leather, you can use polish to help clean up the edge faster, but I always finish on clean leather to clean and buff the bevel, and set the edge straight.
    I still might buy the leather stropper, but, I'm pretty satisfied with the results from my belt, for now. But thank you. It is a consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom