• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NOBE shooter

Aug 12, 2013
    North Beach, MD
    Just submitted my application for a HQL and wanted to get people's suggestions on what my next gun should be?

I have pistols already, a S&W Sigma 9mm, and a Beretta PX4 in .40. You all know it is Maryland, so I won't be carrying. Mostly just for fun.

I'll either get a 1911 or a revolver, and what I don't get now, I will eventually. Just wondering what people think.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    1911 all day long unless you're going to ring for a Colt Python. The feel of a 1911 in the hand is awesome. Beware, they are addictive!

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    You really need to do your research and shoot a few of each type before you decide. While I would vote for a 1911, you might prefer a revolver as you already have a couple of semi autos. Whatever you do, don't cheap out. If you choose not to afford $800 - $1100 on a 1911, then don't buy anything at all. Just keep saving until you feel comfortable with spending that much. You won't be disappointed if you by a Colt and they retain their value as well if not better than any of the others.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Under 1K, I would look at a S&W 686 for a revolver and for a 1911, I would look at the Ruger SR1911. I own both and they are great guns for the $.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I had a S&W Model 27 .357 that I thought was the end all be all........until I got a Colt 1911. I wasn't and still am not a big fan of semi auto pistols, but the Colt 1911 and I seem to work well together.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    That decision is all preference. Plenty of good entry and custom options and they both have benefits. Just have to weigh those and see what wins. Of course, there's always the getting-both option. :)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Apples and oranges. They're both very good to own. They're just very different animals.

Give some thought to just exactly what you want your next purchase to be used for. Maybe post that answer. It may spark some thoughts to help you to decide what to buy when.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    How about a Colt New Service revolver in 45LC? Or one in 45ACP, with half-moon clips? And you won't even need a HQL for it.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    What is your budget? I bought the 1911 first, and I bought a Colt. But, everyone needs a .357 too. Both, are quintessential to every collection. Ruger revolvers, are supposed to be over built. There is no ammo sensitivity, but, it's not a S&W. Springfield Arms makes some fantastic 1911's, but, it's not a Colt. If you're like me, no matter how good the competition is, I would never be happy, until I bought a S&W or a Colt.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Revolver prices seem to be increasing quicker than 1911 prices. A major name revolver in a good caliber would deserve a good look. The 1911 market has so many tiers it could wait as number purchase.

Last edited:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Both.............but if they have an HQL its not a bad idea to buy something from S&W or Colt while the getting is good.

Stocking up on quality, mid line 1911s is also a good call. Aside from the usual grumbling my Rock Island Match has been running awesome 500rds and counting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since the OP did not disclose a major Jonesing for a 1911 on purpose, then a revolver is the obvious next step . The real question is DA or SA .

No mention of Handgun Hunting on the near horizon, .38 or .357 ( shooting mostly .38 ) would be default centerfire choice. Small frame snubs are niche guns for carry , and not much for fun.

If you were asking on the Smith-Wesson Forum , you would be overwhelmingly told everybody needs an M&P ( the revolver, not upstart semi ). And indeed a M10 or M64 would be a good choice. But alikewise most K frames or L frames. Personal preference for how they feel in your hand ( or if their looks strike you) .

Meanwhile at team Ruger, you'll find much lover for GP100's. Personally I'll never forgive them for being the excuse for Ruger to discontinue the Security/ Spedd/ Service Six line. An SP101 is my ( and many people's) definition of the smallest revolver to have the shooting qualities of a "normal" revolver. Keep in mind if needing somthing for shooters with small hands , or if CCW is on your horizon , and wish minimal effort concealment.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    For a 1911 Colt is definatley the way to go. Yes there are plenty of other good to very nice lower priced models out there, and no disrespect to them, just owning a Colt, well....makes a difference. For a revolver, there are so many to choose. Yes a Colt PYTHON would be nice...hahahahaha, but don't forget an older "K" Model 19. You can still find them basically like new for under $800. The nicest revolver I have ever shot. Not that I am a revovler expert, but this one a friend had, who worked for the FBI, and had a trigger job done on it, was.....sweet. But like someone suggested, try shooting both.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TO BOB A

Why would you NOT need a HQL with a Colt SAA New Frontier? I am not aware of this, but then again, there is MUCH I am not aware of :-)

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If you can find a good deal on a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP 100 get one. Revolvers are becoming hard to find all the time. 1911"s can alway be found at any time. OP -you haven't mentioned a price range so it's hard to say what 1911 to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom