• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    First, these are military surplus, but not C&R. I'm putting this thread in C&R instead of the Handgun forum as some of you shop other mil surplus (and some flavors of Makarovs are C&R).

These have recently sold out at Classic.

They are now available at AIM at similar prices. The Select Grade sold out as I was posting ($300).

Shooter grade is available for $260 ...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...=Shooter Grade Bulgarian Makarov 9X18 Handgun

I have no idea why they list as not selling to MD. Classic was shipping to MD and the Bulgarian Marakovs are on the roster (listed under one of the Arsenal categories).

I got a Select Grade order in under the line (within minutes of receiving the email - I started the post after my order), and have one from Classic sitting at my FFL. Might decide to leave one there and sell it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hope so. My order went through, and I'm a good customer, so I hope they will listen to reason. I approached it nonconfrontationally, bringing to their attention the oversight on the webpage that should be corrected.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I got one from Classic, a VG/Exc with handpick. It's purdy.
    Crappy pics, but it has very little wear at all.

The grips are horrible. I think these were just stuck on for import to replace cracked ones or something. I have a proper set on the way from APEX.

Attachments

• Mak1.jpg
      Mak1.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 342
    • Mak2.jpg
      Mak2.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 339

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks great. I ordered the Good with hand pick from Classic (was too late for the VG/Excellent). Mine's sitting at the FFL, and I haven't looked at it as yet. Hoping the AIM order for the select/excellent grade comes through, so I can compare the both soon.

Odd how Classic had it and sold out, and then AIM listed it. I wonder if the importer cycles its releases through distributors. Like Classic, AIM got a very small batch of the higher grades. Sold out in less than 10 minutes after the email alert.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Despite the note on the AIM webpage, they are selling and shipping these to Maryland. Mine arrived today. I don't know why they haven't corrected their ad. Pics later after the visitation.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here are pics of the Bulgarian Makarovs (just out of the box) at Gunrunners.

The one with the red zip tie in the barrel is from AIM and was sold as a select/excellent condition with a hand pick.

The other one is from Classic Firearms touted as a shooter/good to very good condition with a hand pick.

Without clean up, the Classic looks very good, with maybe slightly less bluing (more obvious at the muzzle) and the red fire indicator on the safety switch faded/gone. The bore was clean and the import stamp looked slightly less sloppy on this gun vs the other.

The AIM pistol looked very good to excellent. It's not quite as clean as the P64 that I got from AIM, but still very nice.

I decided to only do paperwork on the AIM pistol and will probably put the one from Classic on consignment at Gunrunners. If I never ordered the one from AIM, I would have been very satisfied (at least cosmetically) with the Makarov from Classic. I do wonder if the AIM handpick did any good. I guess it's at least license to complain more when something doesn't conform with expectations.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
      DSC_0001.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 266
    • DSC_0002.jpg
      DSC_0002.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 279
    • DSC_0006.jpg
      DSC_0006.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 270
    • DSC_0008.jpg
      DSC_0008.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 264

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yeah, but at least the reviews on the function and engineering of the Bulgarians seem to be pretty positive. Some have even compared to the East German Makarovs, but I don't know if it's warranted. I am looking forward to shooting mine. :D

When the ComBloc pistols start to go over $400, even for an all steel gun in great shape, it's not as appealing to me as I'm not collecting for investment, but more to have a collection with different representative firearms to educate my kids (eventually), friends, etc and of course myself in their function as a firearm and mechanical operation.

I've been keeping an eye on the old Walther PPs (mostly in 32 ACP) at Simpson Limited and elsewhere, and these prices are pretty stunning as well.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I got a proper pair of grips for mine (brown w/ star) from APEX. They came today and look great.

Those grips they come with are just bad.....

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Baffling suggested the same. I'll take a look. Post pics after you update yours. :thumbsup: Also looking at some CZ-82 grip options that some have mentioned here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom