• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    So a friend of my brother's boss just passed away and he had some old guns that the family is trying to sell. One of them is a colt 1911 stamped United States property. I looked up the serial number on the colt website and it shows a mfr date of 1941. It looks to be in fair shape with some possible rust and a little pitting on the slide. The grips look to be wood and are smooth and look like they may have minor cracks. I want to make a fair offer and not rip her off but still want to get it at a good price. What is the usual value range on these types of guns? I am going to try to check it out in person this weekend to evaluate the bore etc.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    800 to 1200 is a minimum for the market price as long as the slide has not been messed with. Too many guys upgraded the sights and cut the slide.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    I think this was put away a long time ago looks original except for the grips. Bluing is probably only 50%

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Condition determines value. Try to let them set the price first and then negotiate. The Blue Book of Gun Values is a good reference for value.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    They are asking me to throw out an offer. They are not gun people. The fact it is C&R will make the transfer easier. I don't want to offer until I see it in person.

over/under

Nov 11, 2012
    Way to many variables. I would say the starting point would be $800-1000 for a mixmaster 1911A1 with a Colt slide/frame. If it is in fact an all original 1941 Colt that is blued and not re-arsenaled and parkerized like later models it will be much more valuable. I'm not an expert, but I do know that values of 1911A1s vary hugely depending on certain barrel markings and inspector stamps.

I would start by pulling the firing stop and confirming that the slide and frame have matching serial numbers.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Where is the serial number found on the slide? I don't think my commercial 1911 has it anywhere besides the frame.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I paid $900 recently for a Colt 1911 (vintage 1918) with lots of wear and tear and a WWII slide on it. I suggest you do an Advanced search of settled auctions on GunBroker and work from there. That will give you comps sold over the last 90 days. That Colt is likely worth $800-1500 in the condition you've described. $500 is insanely low for a Colt 1911A1.

Lew--Ranger63

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Where is the serial number found on the slide? I don't think my commercial 1911 has it anywhere besides the frame.

Not all have a SN on the slide. Colt SN 710001 to about SN 1139xxx have the SN stamped on the back of the slide underneath the firing pin retainer.

Jul 1, 2012
    As several have said already (a) there's a HUGE variance in price based on condition, any specialness to the S/N (i.e. a Navy gun etc), all correct parts, original finish, and all that.
    A 50% original "early" blue gun will hold a good deal of value compared to a 99% arsenal-refurb mix-master.

Be that as it may, a complete functional Colt-mfg'd 1911-A1 that's not torn up - I'm with the others in the $1000 camp (which happens to be Blue Book for a park'd gun at 60%, add 150% premium if it's original blued) if it's got some mixed parts, with a very real possibility of being able to get several (to many) hundred more for it if you need to sell - especially if it's all correct and/or something interesting (like a commercial frame, stuff like that).

Let your conscience be the judge.

an aside -
    In general the Blue Book is a good guideline but not always up-to-date.
    For instance the Colt 1911-A1 prices hadn't been updated in 4-5 years, and just got a bump in 2014 - of $1k (for 98%). That's a big difference.
    The online subscription is the best way to go and is easier to use (and cheaper) than buying the hardcopy - and it gets updated when new info is available.
    It still may be several years between updates, but at least you don't have to go buy another book.
    The online version also tends to have decent pics too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom