• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Perhaps its just me, but I rather see a collection like this go to a Museum, like those operated by the NRA, rather than being sold off to various bidders.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Old Elmer Keith had a great collection and the family is auctioning it off. I knew about his love for six guns, especially his old No. 5 Colt SAA, but he had some nice hunting rifles, including a Sharps, and some very rare percussion revolvers. Check it out!

http://jamesdjulia.com/auction/373-march-2015-firearms-auction-tradition-continues/?session=1
    If you read his autobiography, "Hell, I was there!" you get a good idea of what he used and what he preferred - he had quite an accumulation of stuff.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Perhaps its just me, but I rather see a collection like this go to a Museum, like those operated by the NRA, rather than being sold off to various bidders.

I believe it was in a museum up in Idaho, Salmon maybe? It might have been part of a Cabela's store. From what I hear, the Keith family decided to auction off the firearms, etc.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I think that this is only part of the collection, and the other part is being auctioned by a different house that's handling the more common and low-end (very relatively speaking) pieces. I'll be quick to add that the "low end" stuff would still make most of us here drool.

I agree, but it's also like someone coming up to one of us and asking us to donate our entire inheritance to a museum. It doesn't seem to make sense if we inherited a house, stocks and bonds, or cash, but we feel comfortable thinking that way when it involves a collection of rare artifacts ... especially when they belong to someone else. I assume that his children and grandchildren have mortgages, college to pay for, etc., like the rest of us.

But, yes ... it sure would be nice if that collection could be kept together.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I think that this is only part of the collection, and the other part is being auctioned by a different house that's handling the more common and low-end (very relatively speaking) pieces. I'll be quick to add that the "low end" stuff would still make most of us here drool.

I agree, but it's also like someone coming up to one of us and asking us to donate our entire inheritance to a museum. It doesn't seem to make sense if we inherited a house, stocks and bonds, or cash, but we feel comfortable thinking that way when it involves a collection of rare artifacts ... especially when they belong to someone else. I assume that his children and grandchildren have mortgages, college to pay for, etc., like the rest of us.

But, yes ... it sure would be nice if that collection could be kept together.

I wouldn't have any problem if the collection was kept by the family. But to be sold off to strangers across the country/world? Possibly never to be seen again. (or possibly damaged later on)

A collection like this isn't like the other items you mentioned, it has a historical value. I'd rather have more people be able to enjoy those firearms for many decades than for them to end up in the hands of a few collectors and enjoyed by a vastly smaller audience.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    For all we know, the Keith Family may no longer be gun people. He died 30 years ago, maybe the surviving family only has distant memories of him.

It's like inheriting a coin or stamp collection for people who don't collect either. You don't want it, you don't like it, you don't really know what you have other than it can be turned into a lot of money to buy a second home, a boat or a college education.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    A collection like this isn't like the other items you mentioned, it has a historical value. I'd rather have more people be able to enjoy those firearms for many decades than for them to end up in the hands of a few collectors and enjoyed by a vastly smaller audience.

OK ... then let's look at it another way. Why not sell all you own, mortgage your home, etc., and buy as much of the collection as you can--then donate it to a museum?

Or maybe ask each of your friends to buy all they can, and donate to the same museum ... see how high that idea floats.

My point is not that it wouldn't be great to see the collection kept intact and be accessioned by a museum. It's only that we tend to be far more generous with other people's assets than our own. It might be that his heirs simply can't afford the luxury of making such a generous donation.

Let's just hope that some of the pieces being sold off eventually find their way to the safekeeping of a good museum--but even that's no guarantee that they'll be protected forever and not disappear from view. Have you noticed some machine guns on GB now that were sold off to the public by the Evergreen Museum because they are in financial difficulty? How about the huge archive of US Military records that caught fire several years back, with losses of hundreds of thousands of records? That was supposed to be a very safe place.

BTW

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Just heard a report on the Elmer Keith auction. The Old No. 5 Colt SAA sold for $70K and the Jim Corbett rifle went for $230K! Geez, I could have sold the house and maybe bought both.

Jul 1, 2012
    Damn I missed that one in the original auction. The seller has a lot of positive feedback, but I wonder how often he has Hitler's luger for sale.

I know the guy pretty well and bought/sold/traded with him quite a bit.
    I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him, easy to work with etc etc.
    He's honest and one of the more knowledgeable dealers out there especially in the area of Lugers, PPKs, and other German pistols. Not so much Colts.
    His "crew" run a lot of the GB listings so there are sometimes exaggerations and mistakes - many of the GB items are consignments so they start off with what the consignor tells them.
    On his website at least he offers a full money-back lifetime guarantee the gun is as represented. Not sure about the GB.

He did have a Goering presentation Luger a few months ago, but so far none from Hitler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom