• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    Hello,

I'm moving to MD in about 6 mos & am trying to figure out if what from my collection I can legally own & shoot without breaking the confusing laws:

Ruger Mini14, non-folding stock from 1980 with 16.5" barrel (custom)?

Bushie AR15 from pre-2012 with DI system?

M4orgey 16" Adams Arms piston full stock rifle?

Any lever action or pump action pistol caliber carbine?

I went to the MD state police site & it seems that my 20" Hbar Colt-copy (80% lower I machined back in 2011) & how are 80% self-made receivers treated?

All handguns must be registered, yes?

I've searched on line & found conflicting info. I don't think I'm using the site search properly; when I entered "is Mini 14 legal in MD" I got pages of non-Mini14 threads.

Thank you for the help.

Feb 28, 2013
    Hello,

I'm moving to MD in about 6 mos & am trying to figure out if what from my collection I can legally own & shoot without breaking the confusing laws:

My condolences. No one should have to come to the A/H of the country. But I'll give your situation my best shot.

Ruger Mini14, non-folding stock from 1980 with 16.5" barrel (custom)?

That's fine. Only Mini-14's with folding stocks are banned.

Bushie AR15 from pre-2012 with DI system?

Bushies are considered banned because of the vaguery in the name on the list. But you had yours before the ban, so yours is fine.

M4orgey 16" Adams Arms piston full stock rifle?

This one may be iffy. The MSP has been saying lately that certain piston AR's are ok. I don't recall yours bein' one of 'em.

Frankly, they should say a blanket "yes" to the entire design.

Any lever action or pump action pistol caliber carbine?

Those are fine.

You only have to worry about the ones that resemble anything military.

I went to the MD state police site & it seems that my 20" Hbar Colt-copy (80% lower I machined back in 2011)

That should be fine.

& how are 80% self-made receivers treated?

Not sure about those. We've had some discussion on 'em a while back.

All handguns must be registered, yes?

Yes, within what I believe is 90 days of establishing residency.

I've searched on line & found conflicting info. I don't think I'm using the site search properly; when I entered "is Mini 14 legal in MD" I got pages of non-Mini14 threads.

One of the site quirks, I'm afraid. It happens.

Thank you for the help.

Glad to be of service.:)

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    Thank you. I'll just avoid any handguns or ARs. I don't want to find myself in the "we're confiscating this until you prove it was made whenever or until you can prove you legally own it..." I'm sure MD cops & staties are honest, reasonable folk who give the benefit of doubt to the law-abiding citizen. But I am acquainted with all sorts of folks, LEO & otherwise, so I'll keep it simple.

It's a temporary move, so I'm looking for toys to maintain sanity by plinking.

The rest will stay in the home safe.

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    Are Saiga rifles ok, or are they "too AK?"

Nevermind--MD considers it an AK. Thank you search function!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    You are going to get a bunch of different answers to those questions, I would disagree with several. That said, IANAL.

I was under the impression that anything prior to october 1 2013 is kosher and handgun "registration" is voluntary.

You need to check with a lawyer. There are several good ones on the site.

It's up to them to prove the date of ownership not you. They don't screen new residents for firearms. The law only affects the law abiding, they don't go looking for law breakers. Stay within the law and you will be fine.

What part of maryland are you traveling to?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I don't want to find myself in the "we're confiscating this until you prove it was made whenever or until you can prove you legally own it..."

I was about to write much the same thing. There's no uniform standard and rulings tend to be haphazard. Too many people fault MSP instead of very poorly-written, unworkable law. Hence the ongoing lawsuit against the law (FSA 2013).

You are going to get a bunch of different answers to those questions, I would disagree with several.

And I'll probably disagree with some of your responses. All thanks to the lunacy of FSA 2013. Let's hope the lawsuit succeeds, as it should.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The FSA2013 (yes it's dumb) requires any REGULATED firearm you possessed before Oct 1, 2013 must be registered with the MSP within 90 days of establishing residency.. This includes handguns.

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...andRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx

IANAL

From the bill

[FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]5–143.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) (1) A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]PERSON WHO MOVES INTO THE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]S[/FONT][FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]E WITH THE INTENT OF[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]B[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ECOMING A RESIDENT SHALL REGISTER ALL [/FONT][FONT=&quot]REGULATED FIREARMS[/FONT][FONT=&quot] WITH THE[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]S[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ECRETARY WITHIN [/FONT][FONT=&quot] 90 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]D[/FONT][FONT=&quot]AYS AFTER ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    The FSA2013 (yes it's dumb) requires any REGULATED firearm you possessed before Oct 1, 2013 must be registered with the MSP within 90 days of establishing residency.. This includes handguns.

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...andRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx

IANAL

From the bill

But I think the operative phrase is "...with the intent of becoming a resident." In his case, he said the move was temporary, and he also implied that he will continue to have a residence (with a gun safe) elsewhere. So I would think (and I'm also not a lawyer) that he'd be clear of the requirement to register his regulated firearms.

JoeR

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    I'll be in Annapolis. I'm there for 1 yr for work/training & am not planning to move permanently.

I suspect residency laws re: intent to become a resident is at issue--having lived in several different states, including NJ, some states consider you a resident after 90 days.

Sounds like I need a lawyer....

ETA: work requires me to be within 20 minutes of work--so I don't think commuting would work.

Last edited:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    are you getting a new drivers license?

If no, no registration.

It takes a certain number of visits "home" to maintain per diem and non resident status. Will you be maintaining an out of state mailing address in your official state of residence?

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    Not planning to get a new license at this point--my residence is in New Hampshire & I have an employment opportunity here in NH, so changing my license doesn't make sense--but what does MD law say about non-resident handguns?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    But I think the operative phrase is "...with the intent of becoming a resident." In his case, he said the move was temporary, and he also implied that he will continue to have a residence (with a gun safe) elsewhere. So I would think (and I'm also not a lawyer) that he'd be clear of the requirement to register his regulated firearms.

JoeR

that's the issue as I see it too.

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    Ironic--I have NH resident & Maine non-resident CCWs which allow me to carry in many states--but Mass, NY, NJ, MD, etc--no. Yet my NH driver's license is honored in the entire US & Canada...

Sorry--this is a WTF?!? moment....and I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom