• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Date of the letter is November 2014. Might be the start of BATFE pushback on "arm braces".

Attachments

• sigbraceusage.jpg
      sigbraceusage.jpg
      158.5 KB · Views: 1,857

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    That is why you don't ask the ATF anything unless you already know the answer or have the resources to fight for it. Go off reservation and you can eff it up for everyone.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I read it as saying if the firearm submitted is described that the brace is to be used as a shoulder stock, then it is NFA. Meaning, describe the submitted firearm that the brace is to be used as it's manufactured purpose then it is ok.

IANAL or anything close to one ;)

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Notice where it says Short barreled shotgun. He's testing a few shotguns in this video. I'd be willing to bet he's trying to put a sig brace on something other than an ar.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I read it as saying if the firearm submitted is described that the brace is to be used as a shoulder stock, then it is NFA. Meaning, describe the submitted firearm that the brace is to be used as it's manufactured purpose then it is ok.
    Unfortunately, the next paragraph starts talking about individual usage turning it into an SBS.

I don't think this guy was trying to screw everyone, I think he was just trying to get the usual "BATFE says I'm cool" letter for his shotgun. Unfortunately, it's real hard to ignore the other bits, especially when they're coming from the head of the tech branch.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I'm no lawyer and as Forrest Gump said " Im not a smart man Jenny." but that said short barreled shot gun. My guess is who ever that is is trying to submit some kind of shot gun pistol with a sig brace on it.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I'm going to hope this doesn't f up the recent rulings by Atf saying how the weapon is held doesn't affect the classification of the weapon.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    Unfortunately, the next paragraph starts talking about individual usage turning it into an SBS.

I don't think this guy was trying to screw everyone, I think he was just trying to get the usual "BATFE says I'm cool" letter for his shotgun. Unfortunately, it's real hard to ignore the other bits, especially when they're coming from the head of the tech branch.

he's ony the acting head.... that means that the actual head is out of office for some reason... or the job is being filled... which means it needs to spend 14 days on usajobs.gov. hmmm..... that job can't be that difficult at all, someone on here must be qualified

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Anyone who knows about the history of the Akins Accelerator might have guessed this was going to happen because of the gleeful postings of "non-disabled" shooters.

I would not be surprised if the ATF banned Sig Braces on shotguns above .410 gauge because shotguns are generally considered to have too much recoil to be fired one-handed safely. The Taurus Judge is a one-handed, short-barreled, rifled shotgun, but limited to .410.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    On the plus side, an 8.5" mag-fed SBS is about the most awesome thing I can imagine. So, glad he's putting out this version for me to work with. :)

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    The letter also starts off by talking about a forward mounted pistol grip.

When you go to the range, have the letter about the Sig Brace, and if necessary, the letter regarding AFG. That being said, unless you cross paths with the law, you shouldn't need to be worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom