• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    I was told by an IP that we need an HQL for a AR-15 lower receiver transfer? I thought this wasn't the case.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Just transferred a STRIPPED lower at Glen Burnie MSP Barracks...
    NO HQL required for stripped lower...AKA "Other" in MSP parlance...

R

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    That's what I thought! Can you point me to where that is mentioned somewhere, so I can show them tomorrow when I try to go fill out my 4473?

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    The issue with that would be they already have it..... I've done good business with them before. They had a young kid behind the counter and the owner wasn't there. I'll go back and try tomorrow, but was hoping to get some verbiage to point to incase the owner is singing the same tune...

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    So- turns out that I got the form wrong. The 4473 is the ATF form and they could give a shit less. MSPs form (77R) is what the issue was. This shop claims that MSP is telling them that they can only classify reciever transfers as HBAR or PISTOL. If you chose pistol, they are making you have an HQL, even though BrewDoc's reference to the website specifically states it's not needed.

Unfortunately for me, the reciever is already in their possession, so it's either pay $50 to transfer it to another FFL, that doesn't req HQL, and then pay their transfer fee on top of it......or just go pay the $50 + live scan fee and just get the HQL......

REALLY kinda of pissed that I'm essentially getting forced into my HQL at the expense of my reciever transfer....for a RIFLE

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    How much do you have in the lower? Probably just easier at this point to find a shop with one in stock. Cut your losses. Deal with someone that knows the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Work the Math......if it's their "other" and you already paid for it, what's the "re-stock" fee?? (another scam). HQL can be expensive with some folks dropping over a hundred clams.......if it were I (after doing the Math) I would seek another FFL.
    Unless things have changed agin, stripped lowers were classified as "Other" on the 77R. And that's the way mine just cleared ( Oct 22) it was listed as "OTHER"......

R

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    If I were you, I'd tell the current FFL to call it an HBAR. cut your losses. then get another lower at a different FFL if you want a pistol or SBR. Be sure to talk with the FFL before ordering the lower and nail down their transfer/sale policies regarding lowers.

FWIW, I've used Bollingers to transfer four post 10/1 lowers, no HQL needed (still require a 7-day wait, tho). JoeBobs had a deal recently on their billet lowers for $109 if you bought three....very nice deal! Although, basic Anderson lowers can be found for ~$50 from several places.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    So let me get this straight??? Is the MSP somehow stating to the FFL in question that you cannot build an AR pistol from a post SB281 stripped lower without an HQL. I have my HQL and am just curious. Would that not dictate that the AR pistol being built would need to be on the HG roster??? This state is totally FUBAR!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom