• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    I know the old Ranch Rifles were poor with accuracy compared with the new generation ones. But how does the old LE/Government only GB models compare? Sounds like they are a different animal and they can be found relatively cheap from Police and Dept of Corrections trade-ins. Otherwise, im going to look into the new 580 series Ranch Rifles. My only gripe is that they dont have a flash hider plus the GB models had bayonet lugs. Not that these things are necessarly useful for my purposes, they do make the gun look cool though. I know theyres the tactical series, but I want the longer 18" barrel over the 16" and I kindve want a wood stock.

Thanks

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    They have made GBs for a long time and they are based on different models. Mine is a 580. All the 580 GBs that I have seen have a black plastic stock but a wood stock is very easy to find and less than $100.

The main advantage of the GB is the threaded barrel. If you decide to thread a ranch in the future it will cost you. I think I saw a guy offering it on Gunbroker for $120.

I like mine but really don't shoot it much since I started getting into ARs last year.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    They have made GBs for a long time and they are based on different models. Mine is a 580. All the 580 GBs that I have seen have a black plastic stock but a wood stock is very easy to find and less than $100.

The main advantage of the GB is the threaded barrel. If you decide to thread a ranch in the future it will cost you. I think I saw a guy offering it on Gunbroker for $120.

I like mine but really don't shoot it much since I started getting into ARs last year.

Im actually the opposite. I have ARs, but want a Mini 14 to complete the lineage of M1 style rifles in my collection. Plus, want a gun in 5.56/ .223 thats more of a classic style gun and not a AR. But, still love the AR dont get me wrong.

I thought 580 was the new series which included the Ranch Rifle etc. I see Ruger has a LE/Military catalog and I looked at it and it seems alot of it is the same as the civilian now. The "Patrol Rifle" they offered is basically the Ranch Rifle with a synthetic stock. Does not have flash hider or threaded muzzle. The "Tactical" is the same as the civilian tactical model and does have flash hider, but its only a 16" barrel. They dont have a 580 GB model from what I see.

So, I guess im trying to compare the old GB model that had a bayonet lug, flash hider, 18" barrel, wood stock, and I believe stainless metal. The ones you usually see that used to be used by thr Department of Corrections.

Thanks

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I've got an old blued Ranch rifle and a newer tactical in stainless.

The tactical is actually 14" and some change with a pinned flash hider for 16". The barrel is a little thicker too.
    Ruger did make a few tacticals in 16" with the flash hider, but it looks like they don't now.
    I think the shorter tactical is more accurate. Don't know if it's the heavier barrel or the somewhat better sights (neither one has great sights).

Love mini's.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I like the lineage of mini as well. I'm going to take another look at my rifle when I get home but I'm pretty sure it is a 580 model. Definitely a GB and in stainless. The receiver us also dovetailed for scope mounts where the old ranch rifles were not

Anyway I'll make sure and get back to you

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The newer rifles with the tapered barrel are fairly accurate. Also the new ones will fit in the older series wood stocks. I have my 16" tactical 581 series in an older factory wood stock.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Is there a way to get the 14in with pinned flash-hider in stainless with a wood stock ?

They don't make a 14". The tactical is 16". As for the stainless/wood combo, you can by a new stainless tactical model and then buy an older wooden stock for it off ebay/gunbroker.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I do have a 580 GB. Made 2003-4 only. 16" barrel and the older style rear sight.

It does not have the new style barrel. They started the 580 series with the old barrels and finished it with the new. 581 series and up are all the new series barrel.

When people talk about minis not being accurate they mean 2" groups at 100yds. 5 shot groups. The first 3 within 1/2 inch. Not really that bad. The 16" barrel will take 1/2" off that group.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    How much work is it to swap the stock ?

None at all. Just take the rifle out of the one stock and place it into the new one. All you need is a screw driver to open the trigger guard. Make sure the wood stock you buy still has the metal hardware inside.

Mine:
    13431605565_8f480f3e31_z.jpg

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    They don't make a 14". The tactical is 16". As for the stainless/wood combo, you can by a new stainless tactical model and then buy an older wooden stock for it off ebay/gunbroker.

Ruger specs for the tactical are 16.12" including flash hider. Not measuring the flash hider, but the total actual barrel length should be around 14.5 ish.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ruger specs for the tactical are 16.12" including flash hider. Not measuring the flash hider, but the total actual barrel length should be around 14.5 ish.

I believe that this guy and the 18-inch Ranch, both have 1:9 barrel twists, something to consider when testing ammo and trying to tweak accuracy.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

The 16.12" is just the barrel length. The flash hider is not included in the length and it is not pinned.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    I think im gonna go with one of the new 580/581 series Ranch Rifles that have all the current upgrades. Is a Accustrut still worthwhile on the new rifles or no?

Thanks

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    ….Make sure the wood stock you buy still has the metal hardware inside.

^^ This. Most people strip the metal parts off the stock when they swap from the stock wood. You should be able to re-use the metal parts from any existing factory stock, though.

I think im gonna go with one of the new 580/581 series Ranch Rifles that have all the current upgrades. Is a Accustrut still worthwhile on the new rifles or no?

Thanks

The 581 needs the newer SOCOM style accu-strut. The original accu-strut won't fit the tapered barrel.

I put one on mine (along with an Amega Ranges scout rail). Not sure if it actually does anything, but it looks pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom