• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    and in a good way.
    I have had my eye out for a custom 03 sporting rifle for some time, most are poorly done and beat to hell. Spied a Gunbroker auction from Pasedena Gun and Pawn that looked to be exactly what I was looking for.
    Drove down today to take a look and ended up buying it. Supposed to have been built in the 80's and really is top notch quality wise. Beautiful walnut with perfect sharp checkering, perfect bluing, upgraded safety and Timney trigger.
    1980's McGowen barrel in 35 Whelen Improved, should be a real thumper. Will have to get dies and fire form the cases.
    Receiver dates to 1918 and is a high number so good to go.Fits in well with my original 03 and 03a3 and is a very nice example of what could be done with a military surplus action.

Attachments

• IMG_2292.jpg
      IMG_2292.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 835
    • IMG_2293.jpg
      IMG_2293.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 904
    • IMG_2291.jpg
      IMG_2291.jpg
      52.6 KB · Views: 832
    • IMG_2296.jpg
      IMG_2296.jpg
      48.1 KB · Views: 829
    • IMG_2299.jpg
      IMG_2299.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 835
    • IMG_2300.jpg
      IMG_2300.jpg
      69.8 KB · Views: 819
    • IMG_2305.jpg
      IMG_2305.jpg
      33.2 KB · Views: 841

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I've got to meet this guy Bubba. This rifle looks great. One of the best sporter jobs I've seen. As soon as you get the loading going let's see how she shoots.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Holy guacamole! That rifle is a beaut!

Thinking back on a couple of 03 sporters my Dad had, (his were pretty basic - still had the original barrel and front sight) and thinking about how accurate people always claimed them to be, I wondered why there weren't more sporter rifle builds, and even tactical rifle builds on the action. I looked it up, but the general consensus was that these days, there are better platforms to use.

Whatever. I don't care what anyone says, that's a rifle to be coveted right there! (Is there a commandment about "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's hunting rifle"?)

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    That's absolutely beautiful amazing checkering. I would have bought that in a heartbeat. I've started collecting smith corona sporters myself. The age of the (well done) sporter is part of the history of these arms as well.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Genuine craftsmanship can be appreciated in many forms ... some of them where you wouldn't expect it. At that level, it's artwork. I was prepared for something like this ...

Attachments

• MoSux.jpg
      MoSux.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 676

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    That rifle can't fall under the bubba category. It looks beautifully done and with good taste.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    and in a good way.

I have had my eye out for a custom 03 sporting rifle for some time, most are poorly done and beat to hell. Spied a Gunbroker auction from Pasedena Gun and Pawn that looked to be exactly what I was looking for.

Drove down today to take a look and ended up buying it. Supposed to have been built in the 80's and really is top notch quality wise. Beautiful walnut with perfect sharp checkering, perfect bluing, upgraded safety and Timney trigger.

1980's McGowen barrel in 35 Whelen Improved, should be a real thumper. Will have to get dies and fire form the cases.

Receiver dates to 1918 and is a high number so good to go.Fits in well with my original 03 and 03a3 and is a very nice example of what could be done with a military surplus action.

I have a very similar Redfield scope (3-9x40 widefield accu-trac lo-pro) that is from the late 70s or early 80s). I used it on my .280 rem until I replaced it with a new Leopold and moved it to my son's Tikka .243. I've killed several pigs using that scope and find it to have excellent optics. The only reason I swapped it out is that I wanted something with a little more magnification. They are great scopes.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    That's absolutely beautiful amazing checkering. I would have bought that in a heartbeat. I've started collecting smith corona sporters myself. The age of the (well done) sporter is part of the history of these arms as well.

Yup, the golden age of the 03, Krag and 1917 sporters was between the wars, some pretty incredible rifles were built by master smiths. A collector and author, Michael Petrov, who unfortunately recently passed, has 2 books out, Custom Gunmakers Of The 20th Century Volume 1 and 2. Incredible rifles that are highly collectable in their own right, I always have my eye out for one but so far no luck finding one I can afford.
    I think the stock on my rifle started out as a rough Richards Micro Fit stock that was expertly finished by the woodsmith. Finishing and checkering do not come cheap,probably 400.00 in checkering and another 400.00 in finishing, paid 700.00 for the whole rifle so it looks like a real good deal.
    A negative for a lot of shooters would be the caliber, 35 Whelen Improved,basically a Wildcat of a Wildcat,dates from the 20's and 30's,luckily standard 35 Whelen can be fired in the rifle and will fireform the case to the Improved.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I have a very similar Redfield scope (3-9x40 widefield accu-trac lo-pro) that is from the late 70s or early 80s). I used it on my .280 rem until I replaced it with a new Leopold and moved it to my son's Tikka .243. I've killed several pigs using that scope and find it to have excellent optics. The only reason I swapped it out is that I wanted something with a little more magnification. They are great scopes.

The scope is super clear and as brand new, seems to be very well made.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I wouldn't consider the caliber to be a detractor. Maybe to some, but I'm a hand loader, and since the case is a necked-up 30-06, getting usable brass would be pretty easy. To me, I see the 35 Whelen Improved to be a major plus - a great cartridge for just about anything on the North American continent. Maybe not for grizzly, but then, I'm not sure I'm planning a grizzly hunt any time soon.

Do you suppose that's the original bolt handle, just polished up, or do you think someone had a new bolt handle put on it?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I wouldn't consider the caliber to be a detractor. Maybe to some, but I'm a hand loader, and since the case is a necked-up 30-06, getting usable brass would be pretty easy. To me, I see the 35 Whelen Improved to be a major plus - a great cartridge for just about anything on the North American continent. Maybe not for grizzly, but then, I'm not sure I'm planning a grizzly hunt any time soon.

Do you suppose that's the original bolt handle, just polished up, or do you think someone had a new bolt handle put on it?

Bolt has been heavily worked, I think bolt handle is original,just bent,contoured and polished, safety has been converted to low scope thumb safety. Does not look like any corners were cut building this rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_2308.jpg
      IMG_2308.jpg
      65.7 KB · Views: 534
    • IMG_2309.jpg
      IMG_2309.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 618

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member