• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    Hey Shooters
    I have to run to Auto Zone to get some break cleaner for the cosmoline, cause its loaded. But i wanted to get some opinions on what I got. bought a chinese, but I think I got a 1957 Tula. I have posted a picture but theyre not too clear. It looks like an AO####and then a backwards N. There is a star but no arrow in it on the left side of the receiver any ideas?

as always thanks. and some feet pictures to follow when i get back with some break cleaner to clean it up.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    You might have doubled your money. Please clean her up, don't mess with the finish on the stock or the rifle. Post some over pics.... See any refurb marks? Stock sn match? Do all other serial numbers match?

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    YellowSled you seem to know your C&R, Im thinking about break cleaner, there is a lot of cosmoline gunked on it. Ill free it from the stock and mineral spriit the stock? the dust cover and butt plate dont match.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Butt plate is not numbered, sad that the cover is not matched. Does hurt the value a bit, but you still have a winner there.

I prefer wiping down with paper towels to get the excess, then using the hot water method on the metal parts.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Skip the chemicals. Boil some water and go pour it over the gun. You will be shocked how well it works. The cosmo literally runs off. The boiling water heats the metal up enough that it will instantly make the water evaporate so there isn't any rust issues.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    You're going to get a lot of opinions here about "the best" way to clean your rifle. I'm just not going to get into that debate again, but will say that you definitely need to remove the wood from the metal and clean them differently.

Keep hot water, brake cleaner, etc., away from the stock. Only use mineral spirits and paper towels or soft cloths on that (and don't store the greasy rags where they would start a fire if they spontaneously combust).

I'd personally stick with mineral spirits (charcoal lighter fluid is the same thing) on the metal work, too, but boiling water will work.

There's nothing wrong with using brake cleaner to blast out the last remnants of cosmo from the metal.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Here's mine from Classic, did I do ok?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 790

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I did some research I guess this is known as a letter series SKS. It is the "I" series. Stock matches, so does bolt, piston, bolt carries, trigger guard. No real clear marking accept for the Tula star on the left side of the receiver. Pistol looked almost brand new. I am happy with what I got.

Thanks for all the help shooters as I am venturing down the C&R road. I got a Mosin Hex, M44 and now this. Wish I waited and got a laminated M44, but well see what the future holds....

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    FYI, from what I read IO imports called all the distributors and told them to check and send back the Russian ones :(.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom