• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    After a bunch of reading, I'm backing Charles Lollar. I feel out of all of the candidates, he is giving a straight forward message. I think the 2A community could do well with him:

Gun Rights: Restore & Protect, Not Infringe
    I’m a Pro-Second Amendment Marine.
    I’m a Pro-Second Amendment American.
    I own firearms and my wife and daughters are trained to use them responsibly.
    I believe in our Constitution and in our God-given rights, one of which is to defend ourselves and our loved ones from enemies - both foreign and domestic.

I also believe the government has no right to remove or infringe on our right to keep and bear arms and/or make it nearly impossible for law-abiding citizens to responsibly carry a firearm or obtain a conceal-carry weapon permit, if they choose to do so.

I’m disappointed that the O’Malley Administration and our legislature enacted the Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (formerly SB-281). In fact, I publicly spoke out against this law before it was passed at a number of 2nd Amendment Gun Rights rallies in Annapolis.

The only people this law protects are the hardened criminals who will ignore it while the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Maryland citizens are infringed upon and further restricted. And, while this law bars people who have been involuntarily committed to a mental health institution from possessing a firearm in Maryland, there is no national database to ensure this prohibition is enforced in other states.

This is an example of Maryland heading in the wrong direction and a tendency in Annapolis to pass laws that “hurt Maryland first” instead of solving a problem. It’s beyond reason to think criminals use state-licensed firearm stores to purchase weapons they intend to use to commit crimes. It’s also beyond reason to think law-abiding citizens are safer by limiting the magazine capacity of a gun purchased in Maryland when criminals are free to illegally purchase any high-capacity black market weapon off the street. It’s time to stop treating legal Maryland gun owners like criminals.

A NEW WAY FORWARD:

As governor,

I will propose legislation to REPEAL Maryland’s Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (formerly, SB-281) if the courts do not invalidate it, and restore Second Amendment rights to Marylanders.

I will propose legislation to make Maryland a “shall-issue” conceal-carry permit state.

I will support national efforts to develop a secure comprehensive database maintaining pertinent information, available at the point of purchase, to prevent firearms sales to anyone having been identified as having been involuntarily committed to a mental health institution. If we can stop dangerous people from boarding a plane, we can overcome the legal challenges of finding a way to prevent people with a serious mental illness from purchasing a weapon anywhere in the United States.

I will charge the Maryland State Police with maintenance of a temporary repository of firearms-related records for review purposes only with set guidelines for purging such information after background checks have been performed. The identity of legal gun owners as well as those ineligible to possess a firearm in Maryland should be maintained in the strictest of confidence.

I will continue all efforts to preserve and protect the safety and well-being of the general public through the continued utilization of background checks and waiting periods for certain weapons while empowering law enforcement officials with adequate resources to provide background checks in an expeditious and timely manner.

I will continue to ensure those convicted of violent crimes are NOT permitted access to firearms.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    With his most recent straw poll win, I think that he has a chance at taking the spot. I hadn't given him much consideration until recently and think he could push to the top and have a chance of winning against the other side.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    So he keeps saying "I will propose legislation" to accomplish all his goals including repeal of FAS 2013 and making MD a shall issue state. With a Democrat legislature IT AIN'T HAPPENING! He never says that he will direct the Superintendent of MSP to accept personal defense ad G&S. Every thing he proposes requires legislative action.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    So he keeps saying "I will propose legislation" to accomplish all his goals including repeal of FAS 2013 and making MD a shall issue state. With a Democrat legislature IT AIN'T HAPPENING! He never says that he will direct the Superintendent of MSP to accept personal defense ad G&S. Every thing he proposes requires legislative action.

Wait, you mean the executive branch can't unilaterally change laws? Has the White House been informed?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    With the exception of his additional stance in repealing FSA 2013, he's been a pretty consistent 2A supporter.

The biggest thing that I see here is that he states he will propose legislation to repeal.....

He is realistic in that he can't repeal something that is law. He realizes that he must fight for this but that he can't actually change it himself.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    He can change the definition of G&S but has consistently dodged saying he will do that. Yes laws can be changed by back room give and take deals between the Governor and Mike and Mike. "You want this bill to not get vetoed, you push through legislation to do away with the HQL" do this piece by piece and FAS 2013 disappears one piece at a time. Lollar's approach is a no starter.

Mr H

Banana'd

As much as I like Lollar personally, and am completely convinved he'll work to be true to his commitment??

I honestly don't think he's done enough research to understand exactly what he will and won't be able to do if elected. He seems to be missing some sorely needed pieces of the puzzle.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    whereas I like his stance on msp keeping temporary records, thats a big plus.

however, executively he could do much more than just "proposing legislation" and mental health laws are quite strict already. any stronger and the slippery slope kicks in. anthing legislative dealing with mental health and firearms in md will get decorated like a christmas tree by the anti 2A democrats.

in respect to gun rights only, his stance is not as strong as other candidates. I welcome stronger statements from him, but he needs to get his message out fast, and not through his network of dedicated proxies. I need to hear him saying it.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    The biggest thing that I see here is that he states he will propose legislation to repeal.....

He is realistic in that he can't repeal something that is law. He realizes that he must fight for this but that he can't actually change it himself.

As much as I like Lollar personally, and am completely convinved he'll work to be true to his commitment??

I honestly don't think he's done enough research to understand exactly what he will and won't be able to do if elected. He seems to be missing some sorely needed pieces of the puzzle.

Agreed, but ...

It starts at the top. The MSP operates at the behest of the governor, just ask OWE'Malley. If they want promotions, pay raises, bennies, ask the Gov.

AFA researching what he will or won't be able to do, it's as easy as making it as painful for the legislature as he possibly can. All we need to do is take away their ability to overide vetoes at a minimum, or give him enough 2A headcount come November that he can call the shots without fear of a backlash.

Bottom line ... we need to do our job too. Lollar (or any alternative to Brown or Gansler) is just one person. Make them earn their keep come November.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Does it matter with the head start Brown and Gansler have on him with advertising? I know it's still a ways from November, but does the general public even know this guy exists?

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    I rarely vote for someone on just one issue, but I believe Charles Lollar is well on track with protecting our 2A rights, as other Republican Candidates are. I'm mostly supportive of him because I think he can WIN! He has stood out from the pack and worked very hard in Montgomery and PG County as well as Baltimore. This is the tactic that can win. Most of the other candidates have not put that effort forward. So if we want a pro-2A guy to win, I'm putting my chips on Charles Lollar. Here was his speech at Guns Across America: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaCmcZjPwoo

Mr H

Banana'd
    With respect to 2A...

All 4 remaining "R" candidates have been in contact with the several groups across the state, so they are at least interested, somewhat conversed, and possibly adept at knowing what we are asking for.

That piece is less in question than it was even 2 weeks ago.

IMO, we are now looking at the factors of which one is not only best for the cause, but with the best chance to win.

Personally?? I'm not putting any of my metaphorical eggs in one straw poll basket.

There's still time.

Last edited:

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    While I agree that currently, both Hogan and Craig are statistically in better shape, I still think that he represents me the best on multiple issues, with 2a being one of them. I do believe that he would stand a chance in the general.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    None of them will stand a chance in the GE unless they start getting their names out on the tv and radio waves asap.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom