• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    OK so the wifey left me to run the rig and got a lot of spare time on my hands waiting on her and the family to catch up with the moving truck. Got to thinking on my build. Among other thoughts and Web browsing where to get my lpk from narrowed it down to a couple places but I'm having trouble figuring out what I should do for the mil spec or commercial spec sop mods. So I would like to ask anyone who has them to please tell me some pros and cons of both styles. It's a debate and am interested in all opinions. Also those with experience using both specs please weigh in why you like or dislike either specs. Thank you in advance

Someone who's wife will not like the fact I had this type of time on my hands cause I'll find things I want to get know or deals that will never be seen again lol

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    ok so.

ok so.

ok so.

ok so.

ok so.

mil-spec and commercial spec just refers to the diameter of the buffer tube. you just have to match the two. it really doesn't matter which you go with. mil-spec likely will give you more options, but most stock styles are made for both.

but seriously, stop using "ok so" to start every sentence. it's ridiculous.

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    Sorry I was bored. Still am. Writing is not my best thing I'd rather be at a range and / or doing bullet coefficient's than wait on them to catch up in the moving truck. Thanks for the input. Was just wondering if there was a big difference or not. Think I'll just stick mil spec then. Again sorry about the ok so begining must be something to do with the old lady that never happened till I started dating her and apparently it presents itself when I'm bored. I'll pound that into my head

P.S. She is a California escape pro 2A.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    This is definitely one of those choices that really doesn't matter. Like AF said just be sure to match the stock with the tube and you will be good to go. Mil-spec does seem to be more popular so there will be more used options on the secondary market.

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    A mil-spec extension will be made of 7075-T6 aluminum. It will have thin walls and be lighter and stronger. It is made to a specification.

A commercial extension is usually made of 6061-T6 aluminum. It is thicker because it is a softer aluminum. Its length and actual specs are up to the manufacturer.

There are more stock options for the real extension than the "commercial". If you are buying one, get an actual M4 spec extension. You will get a known quantity.

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    ok so.

ok so.

ok so.

ok so.

ok so.

mil-spec and commercial spec just refers to the diameter of the buffer tube. you just have to match the two. it really doesn't matter which you go with. mil-spec likely will give you more options, but most stock styles are made for both.

but seriously, stop using "ok so" to start every sentence. it's ridiculous.

1 I have respect for you cause DA has respect for you and says your a good guy.
    2 if the way my question to the forum annoyed you then why not ignore it
    3 in all fairness I'll flip a coin to see if I care your annoyed heads I don't care tails I don't give a rats ass.......... let's see tails
    4 coin toss for do I care if I get banned for stating my mind and you report me heads not a smidgen tails just a little......... ok so heads
    Oh by the way I didn't need a MD quarter but I still used one anyway
    I appreciate the response and was looking for any difference between the two but I am assuming that there is not much different besides the metal used.
    If at any time in the future you find a post that may be annoying or offensive just Im me and you don't have to bother answering.
    I'm going to use the md quarter once again will I use ok so.... again heads no tails most defiantly just to mess with Grammer nazi's............... sorry members it was tails. ok so Maryland screwed you again.

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    This is definitely one of those choices that really doesn't matter. Like AF said just be sure to match the stock with the tube and you will be good to go. Mil-spec does seem to be more popular so there will be more used options on the secondary market.

Thank you for replying

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    A mil-spec extension will be made of 7075-T6 aluminum. It will have thin walls and be lighter and stronger. It is made to a specification.

A commercial extension is usually made of 6061-T6 aluminum. It is thicker because it is a softer aluminum. Its length and actual specs are up to the manufacturer.

There are more stock options for the real extension than the "commercial". If you are buying one, get an actual M4 spec extension. You will get a known quantity.

Thank you for the information

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Why you gotta bring polar bears into it man? They never did you no harm.

Lol...seriously though. Did you see how the OP was apologetic in his first post to you and then he went and made a second post all but wishing death on you.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    For the record....The difference between mil-spec and commercial extensions is not the metal. Yes, most commercial extensions are 6061 but so are a lot of mil-spec extensions. Any company worth a damn will tell you what kind of aluminum its made of. You will pay a little more for the 7075 extension and they are truly Mil-Spec.

You will notice when vendors sell 6061 extensions, they will use the term "Mil-Spec Diameter". That is because its the same size as mil spec but it does not meet the military specifications.

An example would be the PSA build kits. They use 6061 Mil Spec Diameter extensions in them to keep the price down.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits.html

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    Lol...seriously though. Did you see how the OP was apologetic in his first post to you and then he went and made a second post all but wishing death on you.

If i wanted death I would have started quoting from the Bible. Since I really don't think it would matter to much if I quoted something other than a waste of an hour or so on Sunday. Especially someone who wears a horse head.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    aw geez. that stings. :lol2:

there's a lesson to be learned about burning bridges. you'll figure it out sooner or later. :thumbsup:

side note: you're really ****ing weird. think about who's saying that, and the weight of the statement should begin to surface.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    ok, so I am confused................ Good reply then ball busting reply? All in all this is a good group of people on this forum and trolls get run off and banned pretty quickly. The replies you got about mil-spec vs commercial were spot on in regards to the tube dia. and material. I was confused about that myself for awhile, then I bought my Ergo stock that came with the tube :D

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I have respect for you

(proceeds to be a completely disrespectful dick).

<snip>

Grammer nazis

Grammar. And you should capitalize Nazis, it was a proper name of a political party. If you're going to try and insult someone, you could at least use proper ****ing English.

Maryland screwed you again.

Not really, I'm not a Maryland resident.

And don't worry, I won't let your ******** attitude reflect upon the rest of the firefighting community. I know they're all good people who occasionally get a bad apple once in a while. Obviously you need to get your doctor to change your prescription, because it doesn't seem to be working. That is, of course, assuming you haven't gone off your meds completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom