• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pc1256

Jan 21, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I called United gun shop in Rockville today and ask about is the M&p 15 Sport edition, they said those are no longer legal in Maryland?

I thought these were legal as cash and carry because their HBar?

Someone educate me, I'm new to firearms.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    They are not explicitly labeled an HBAR from S&W, so some shops won't take a risk. It does have a heavy barrel profile though, so it is legal. Just have to find a shop to sell it to you.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I called United gun shop in Rockville today and ask about is the M&p 15 Sport edition, they said those are no longer legal in Maryland?

I thought these were legal as cash and carry because their HBar?

Someone educate me, I'm new to firearms.

:crazy: They must have changed their minds. I almost bought one from them and several other members DID buy one from them back in January.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    My understanding is that the M&P Sport (#811036/811037) was previously regulated and is not considered HBAR, therefore it is now banned. There are a few more threads regarding this very issue. BTW, it's an awesome rifle for the price.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    You might find this thread useful:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=142949

Per Smith & Wesson (of course, what would they know about it?), the Sport does NOT have a heavy barrel.

This was the response when I asked S&W about heavy barrels last July. While it states the model number 811037 is MD compliant, that means prior to 1 OCT 13 it met MD requirements. It does not say it meets requirements post-1 OCT 13. The only heavy barrel models are models listed in the performance center section of their catalogue.

Dear Customer,
    The only M&P's that have heavy match grade barrels are the Performance Center Models. The Sport model does not have a heavy barrel. The Maryland compliant M&P Sport is sku#: 811037.
    If further assistance is required please reply accordingly.
    Sincerely,
    Jennie

Granted this info is now dated, and S&W "may" have changed their construction, but IMHO, email from S&W CS puts enough doubt in my mind that even if an FFL says it is heavy barrel, I'm not going to risk it. Others may not be as risk adverse as I am.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    strange, when I thought about buying one from united back in January they initially said NO. Then they got back to me saying they called S&W and verified it was an HBAR and good to go :thumbsup:

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Smith has a new sport rifle with a heavy barrel. Perfectly legal in MD.

Smith & Wesson Item # 811036

I have them. I have inspected them with the hand guards off and they are definitely a heavy barrel profile, though not a oversized "varmint or target" type. They are in fact nearly identical to the Colt HBAR barrel profile.

This rifle is essentially a M&P 15T (state compliant rifle) with no quad rails, no forward assist and no dust cover. It does not have the fixed mag or bullet button that the CA guns bear.

MSP has told us rifles do not need to be stamped HBAR to qualify. The dealer must only be able to articulate that they have confirmed by inspection that it is a heavy barrel profile.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    pick something else?

pretty sure any of the IP's (engage, scott's, 2a sales, etc.) will be able to help you find something you enjoy.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    MSP has told us rifles do not need to be stamped HBAR to qualify. The dealer must only be able to articulate that they have confirmed by inspection that it is a heavy barrel profile.

Just out of curiosity, have they stated what constitutes a "heavy" profile? There's a lot of varmint-profile stuff out there, and many variants among and between. Is it basically just a non-pencil or non-govvy profile barrel?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Just out of curiosity, have they stated what constitutes a "heavy" profile? There's a lot of varmint-profile stuff out there, and many variants among and between. Is it basically just a non-pencil or non-govvy profile barrel?

To be honest, they were somewhat vague. The standard we use for comparison is the current Colt rifles that are actually stamped HBAR.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Smith has a new sport rifle with a heavy barrel. Perfectly legal in MD.

Smith & Wesson Item # 811036

I have them. I have inspected them with the hand guards off and they are definitely a heavy barrel profile, though not a oversized "varmint or target" type. They are in fact nearly identical to the Colt HBAR barrel profile.

This rifle is essentially a M&P 15T (state compliant rifle) with no quad rails, no forward assist and no dust cover. It does not have the fixed mag or bullet button that the CA guns bear.

Pretty sure this is the main one in question. Its the one I almost bought.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Should be fine if HBAR and not named Bushmaster. Try a different shop

No AR15 style guns are named Bushmaster. There is a company called Bushmaster but they are not the gun that is banned. An HBAR AR15 clone made by the Company Bushmaster is 100% legal. The rarely seen Bushmaster Assault rifle made by some company I can't remember the name of, is banned.

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    I stand corrected. My understanding is the current interpretation by msp is that all Bushmaster brand rifles are disallowed in the peoples republic. Even though the one in the law was from the 90's. They broadened the interpretation post 10/1. Has this changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom