• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    On Friday, January 30, around 6pm, during the WFMD (930am Frederick,MD) local news break. Radio person story line went something like this…Sheriff Chuck Jenkins is working to allow sheriff’s to issue CCW permits in Maryland…Chuck – I think it will be well received in this area…I am working with others on language to bring to the general assembly…It will need the support of other sheriff’s to get this through. This was my rough recollection of the news. I was looking for other posts on this subject but saw none. Those who are more in the know might (please) check this out and us locals can encourage cooperation through our local sheriffs.

Did anybody else hear of this? I’d like to offer a subdued YAHOO!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    While it's great that this sheriff is supporting CCW, we don't want a system that turns into California, where you have elected sheriff's who's views range from shall issue to no way. We all know that ignorance and fear would elect anti-ccw sheriff's in the areas that need CCW the most. We need one standard for the state.

Now like I said, it's great that he's in favor of this, but he should be supporting the bill about to be introduced.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Why not have him get in contact with the people that are working collectively on all of the bills that we are working on this year.

There is a concerted effort of the major gun rights groups in this state to work together. The last thing the general assembly wants is to hear from some other "faction" within the community.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    From what I know about our Sheriff here in Harford County (Jesse Bane) he would most likely support an effort like this as well.
    :thumbsup: Bane was a stong believer in 2A Rights!

These Local LEAs can use the revenue this would generate! ;) Less begging at the feet of the GA! ;) And a much better chance in reducing that 4 to 6 month wait to 2-3 weeks!!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    If were going to do the local sheriff's, then we have to make sure we model it like PA. The county sheriff's issue the permits, but there is a strong set of state guide lines in terms of eligibility, including the 45 day must issue law. (If they can't find a reason after 45 days, then they have to issue the permit.)

On the flip side, California has weak state guidelines, so a sheriff in one county can be virtually shall issue, and the next can be no issue and we all know the no issues will be in the areas they are most needed.

Terpfan

Aug 24, 2008
    Howard County
    It sounds like he is trying to get local enabling legislation. They won't bite on that. The law will need to change statewide, but it should. I think members of the Prince Georges and Montgomery County delegations are starting to switch their opinions on the issue.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    It sounds like he is trying to get local enabling legislation. They won't bite on that. The law will need to change statewide, but it should. I think members of the Prince Georges and Montgomery County delegations are starting to switch their opinions on the issue.

Please do ...This state is in need for the CCW Law to be changed ...

a fool would go out without packing..

beaglefan

Nov 29, 2008
    Essex md.
    It would be a good start and the anti's would be left scratching their heads when crime goes down in those areas and the streets don't run in blood.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    This combined with the HB 3?? for domestic violence CCW are both steps in the right direction. THough both not perfect it should increase awairness of CCW in this state and make it known that we bascally dont have it and need it.
    Though I would apply for one if I knew it wasn't a waste of time and money I would not always carry. Its one of thoes things I believe in that everyone (who is within the law) should be able to carry whenever they feel like it (I know the exceptions of school etc, thats an iffy point and would need to be re-defigned if we became a Shale state)
    People need to realise out there that the crime, espicially in this economy will go up and the 5o can not stop it. We should have a right to defend by all means nessary, but we also need that bill to defend/protect us from unnessary lawsuits from criminals.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    If were going to do the local sheriff's, then we have to make sure we model it like PA. The county sheriff's issue the permits, but there is a strong set of state guide lines in terms of eligibility, including the 45 day must issue law. (If they can't find a reason after 45 days, then they have to issue the permit.)

On the flip side, California has weak state guidelines, so a sheriff in one county can be virtually shall issue, and the next can be no issue and we all know the no issues will be in the areas they are most needed.
    I was going to say, it has to be something because I don't want to be a victim of good old Baltimore County.

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    I contacted Sheriff Jenkins and he also wants Maryland to pass a Castle Doctrine. I think he would be a good person to testify for us. He will respond to e-mail if anyone else wants to send a note.

Once we know the bill number for Dan Riley's bill we should let him know that we would appreciate his support. I bet he could get some other sheriff's to join our side.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008

Just remember that PA wasn't like that for a long time. It was basically arbitrary - some sheriffs would, and some wouldn't. I grew up in a (relatively) rural area, but the local CLEO just wouldn't issue them - period. Or it depended on whether you were connected or not.

I do know that when PA passed their "shall issue" law, Dad and my brother were waiting on the steps of the police station.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Just remember that PA wasn't like that for a long time. It was basically arbitrary - some sheriffs would, and some wouldn't. I grew up in a (relatively) rural area, but the local CLEO just wouldn't issue them - period. Or it depended on whether you were connected or not.

I do know that when PA passed their "shall issue" law, Dad and my brother were waiting on the steps of the police station.
    I guarantee you, that will be me!

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I contacted Sheriff Jenkins and he also wants Maryland to pass a Castle Doctrine. I think he would be a good person to testify for us. He will respond to e-mail if anyone else wants to send a note.

Once we know the bill number for Dan Riley's bill we should let him know that we would appreciate his support. I bet he could get some other sheriff's to join our side.

Maryland has a so-called castle doctrine law in the criminal code. You have no duty to retreat within your home.

HB332 is already being presented in the Judiciary Committee on February 12. This bill will protect you from civil action...being sued....in the event that you have to defend your family.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It would be in the sheriff's interest to be in contact with some of the groups that he will need support from for such a bill :innocent0

marylandshallissue.org

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom