• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    Both offer modularity with webbing but I like the idea that I could put a hydration bidder in the vest vs having a second piece of kit to drag around. Anyone find value/benefits one over the other? Don't want to look like a mall ninja, just want to have what I need when training

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    Go chest rig. Easier on and off without the added weight of armor. Chest rigs are made to go over top of concealed or exterior armor if you add that at a later date. I have both, prefer chest rig.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You wont like a full chest rig in hot weather.

IMHO you should layer your equipment so it can be shed or configured for the weather and attire.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    US Grunt gear, High Speed Gear, & Blue force gear all make great kit. I like the Blue Force Gear chest rigs. Light weight and easy to pack. Plate carriers are great if you have armor. Warbelts are a great all in one. Lots of different equipment can be attached to them and a good one can support a good amount of weight. I have been using a US Grunt Gear Warhog Belt with Blue Force Gear Suspenders for over 5 years. Another good company to take a look at is BDS tactical make fantastic kit, too.

What ever happened to Pete at BagMan Tactical? He made custom high quality kit locally in MD. He is extremely talented and creative.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have a war belt I always use as a 1st line.

As for 2nd line gear, I would go with a chest rig first. There's no reason you can't use a chest rig over top of a separate plate carrier. That's what I do in the rare event that I want armor.

I recommend Eagle RRV for the chest rig.

Jul 9, 2013
    It depends on what you're using it for. Lots of guys use plate carriers without plates (replace the plates with closed cell foam from a ground pad or something). Others prefer the LBVs.

Since Around 2007, our standard assaulter configuration had been:

Line one:
    A belt with pistol, pistol reloads, multi-tool, one rifle reload, med pouch, tourniquet, and dump pouch.

Line two:
    Plate carrier with plates, extra rifle reloads, comms, another tourniquet, and admin items.

Line three:
    Food, water, extra batteries, extra ammo, more comms, breaching gear, etc.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I was about to start an almost identical thread.

I was planning to get down to CCJA to take carbine 1 and later carbine 2 sometime this spring/summer.

I was trying to decide between a chest rig and a battle belt. I could see pros and cons for both.

Does anyone know what Tom P suggests for his classes?

Edit: war belt seems more expensive once loaded out with inner belt and pouches.

Last edited:

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    After much hand wringing, I'm leaning towards a Brokos belt as I can still use my kydex pistol holster without going to a drop leg holster.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using TapaTalk

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have been contemplating the realities of a 3-gun match where the only divisions would be Heavy Armor and Light Armor. The former would be 4 plate rigs with minimum type III (.308) ballistic plates and the later minimum front/back plate carriers with type IIIA soft handgun armor. The HA division could Molle up their heavy rigs while the LA division would require Tac/Swat vests on top of the armor. Holster would still have to be belted or drop leg for safety. No shotgun caddies or Load2/4 rigs, and all mag holders would have to be flapped on the chest rig as built in or Molle.
    I wonder if it could be done. I only contemplate this because I have all of those things myself.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom