• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Building an SBR on an 80% lower. I called and talked to the ATF about the "manufacturer" and have that squared away. Since I am listed as the manufacturer I know that's going to get a small warning on the site. What I didn't expect is I listed the model as ar15 and it says the model is unknown. Should I assume this is due to the manufacturer? Probably should call the atf back but wanted to see if anyone else has ran into this.

Thanks
    John

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you completed this lower after 10/1, be aware that what you're doing is of dubious legality according to the current MSP interpretations, misguided as they are.

Now, that said, I have actually done a stripped 100% lower where the manufacturer apparently didn't put a model on the lower itself - yes, I think they screwed up - and I had to engrave a custom model name and caliber. The custom model name was listed on the form. It went through fine, albeit that was with a paper form 1.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Building an SBR on an 80% lower. I called and talked to the ATF about the "manufacturer" and have that squared away. Since I am listed as the manufacturer I know that's going to get a small warning on the site. What I didn't expect is I listed the model as ar15 and it says the model is unknown. Should I assume this is due to the manufacturer? Probably should call the atf back but wanted to see if anyone else has ran into this.

Thanks
    John

Could it have anything to do with the fact that Colt owns "AR-15" as a trademarked name. So if you don't have a manufacturer of Colt, its not recognizing AR15? I don't have any experience with the eforms but just a guess but I doubt ATF is that smart....

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    The unkown model is due to you being the manufacturer. In fact, on my approved eForm1 for 4a the ATF changed the info to "Form 1 Registration, United States", and put my trust info in 3a and 3b.

The eForm system has a database of manufacturers and their model numbers, when you make your own firearm you don't match any of those pre-defined sets, thus you get the error.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom