• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XeroG

Aug 6, 2013
    Yesterday I ordered a AIM Surplus' VZ2008 rifle package and arranged to have the rifle and mags sent to an FFL in West Virginia (EFI LLC near Martinsburg) in ordre to be able to pick up the 30 rounders. I know AIM will not ship the rifle to MD however because I was having it shipped to WV I figured having an MD billing address wouldn't pose an issue.

WRONG. I got an email today with the following lovely message:
    "Please note that your credit card has yet to be charged, and if the problem is not resolved within 1 business day, your order will be canceled.

The reason for the problem is:
    This firearm is listed as not for sale in MD."

(Just as a reminder for those who aren't fully aware, it is legal to purchase a long gun out of state as long as the gun is legal in the home state and state of sale and one of the transferring parties is a licensee. This is federal law and since maryland doesn't have a provision banning the import of 30 round mags, I can have the rifle and mags shipped to the same place)

As AIM is rapidly running out of VZ2008s and I didnt want to miss out, I called their customer service line to ask what the issue is and I all the guy on the other end of the line told me was that he would have to contact the management, who were currently attending SHOT Show in Vegas. I told him I was having the rifle shipped to WV, so I didn't see where the hang up was especially since I was paying them good money. All he told me was that I would have to wait for management to email me back. My worry now is that I won't hear back from them within 1 business day and I will have my order cancelled and the rifles will sell out.

Has anyone had this issue with AIM before and if so how did you get it worked out?

XeroG

Aug 6, 2013
    I still don't see why it is an issue when I am sending it to WEST VIRGINIA.

I AM PAYING THEM MONEY TO DO SOMETHING THAT FOLLOWS THEIR RULES. BLARGH :mad54:

XeroG

Aug 6, 2013
    I plan on calling the FFL tomorrow to ask him about this. I hate to have to put that on the FFL especially since asking him to order things for me brings up connotations of "straw purchases" and I would hate to scare him off at this point.

Last edited:

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Can you give the FFL the money and have them process the order for you? It has to go through the FFL anyway the purchase is not complete until you go through your FFL, so it's not a straw purchase. Aimsurplus cannot sell direct to you...

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    if you have any relatives out of state, have them purchase it with their credit card, or have them give you their credit card number and you do the ordering, and then reimburse them, it's one of the only ways to get around it.

Having family in VA and PA is a blessing!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I plan on calling the FFL tomorrow to ask him about this. I hate to have to put that on the FFL especially since asking him to order things for me brings up connotations of "straw purchases" and I would hate to scare him off at this point.

LOL. That's what FFLs are SUPPOSED to do: buy firearms to sell to other people!

XeroG

Aug 6, 2013
    Can you give the FFL the money and have them process the order for you? It has to go through the FFL anyway the purchase is not complete until you go thorugh your FFL, so it's not a straw purchase. Aimsurplus cannot sell direct to you...

I understand that, and I plan on calling the FFL first thing tomorrow morning to see if he can do this for me.

Just out of curiosity has anyone here done business with EFI LLC in Inwood near
    Martinsburg in WV? The guy I talked to seemed very friendly and understanding and I hope he would be willing to work with me on this.

The only problem I forsee is the conversation going like this:

XeroG

Aug 6, 2013
    I saw the group buy however that is 100 dollars more for just the rifle. Plus Duffy is much farther than WV for me.

If I did a FTF transaction I wouldn't be able to get the mags and FTF out of state are illegal.

God I hate Maryland right now...

XeroG

Aug 6, 2013
    Also, all my out of states relatives are fairly, how should I put this, liberal. So having them purchase it more than likely isn't an option.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Gary (forum name Hog Sniper) at High Rock outfitters, another IP, had some recently and says he plans on getting more. He's in Hanover if that's any closer for you. His price was barely more than Aims, and with shipping & fees, you'll probably come out ahead if you can purchase one from him.

XeroG

Aug 6, 2013
    Did the one's Gary was selling come with a sling, 5 30rd mags, bayonet and sheath? Honest question because if it is the same package I would be interested.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I would used a prepaid card to buy something like this. That way they only have the mailing address and not a Martystan billing address.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    I saw the group buy however that is 100 dollars more for just the rifle. Plus Duffy is much farther than WV for me.

If I did a FTF transaction I wouldn't be able to get the mags and FTF out of state are illegal.

God I hate Maryland right now...

I understand that we are further than WV for you. However, there are a few key points you missed. The group buy is $580 cash or check for the rifle with all the accessories, including the mags (which will blocked to 10rds). Ordering from AIM will run you $520 with shipping. 6% is the sales tax rate in MD, WV, and PA, which puts you just over $550 before adding in a transfer fee. Figure in at least $20-$30 for a transfer, and you end up right around my price point.

XeroG

Aug 6, 2013
    I understand that we are further than WV for you. However, there are a few key points you missed. The group buy is $580 cash or check far the rifle with all the accessories, including the mags (which will blocked to 10rds). Ordering from AIM will run you $520 with shipping. 6% is the sales tax rate in MD, WV, and PA, which puts you just over $550 before adding in a transfer fee. Figure in at least $20-$30 for a transfer, and you end up right around my price point.

I really do appreciate the effort you are putting in as well as the great contact you have with the community however the blocked off mags are a deal breaker for me. In the near future however I might be looking for an SKS. Do you stock any surplus yugos or norinco sks's at your shop? I haven't been able to find any in Stock near me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom