• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wt71

Sep 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    I did a search but could not find anything on this subject. Sorry if I missed something but, I am selling a XD40 with the 2 factory 12rd mags that came with it. Is it legal to sell it with those mags in MD now?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Nein. Illegal to sell those mags in the state of MD.
    However, cross the PA line and no worries.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Just don't offer for sale, transfer, manufacture or purchase a magazine with a capacity of over 10 rounds within the state of Maryland.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    He actually said what he meant. Since the staggered mags were put into pistols the mags have been referred to as high capacity mags.

I read the other thread. I see confusion ahead...call them what they are. I understand the approach. The anti's will just urge us all to use reduced capacity mags anyway.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But in the minds of the unknowing, reduced capacity sounds BAD. Hi capacity sound unneeded.

The anits started with the Hi Cap mag and Assault Weapons terms to sway those who do not know any better.

If you want to keep helping the antis, go for it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Wow, 30 plus active years in the sport and I'm unknowing. Helping the anti's... Pinecone, you don't know me nor how active I have been in the firearms cause. My suggestion is reducing your level of judgemental comment until you know more about those you condenscendingly criticize..

FYI, and I am sure you know it, high capacity has always indicated any staggered magazine holding more ammunition than a single stack grip length magazine holds. After 30 plus years of these mags being called hi caps we start to play a semantics game anyone can see through. We are better off educating and proving capacity has nothing to do with criminal behavior. And everyone will understand when someone says hi-cap mag others know its over 10 round capacity. A single stack 1911 has a standard capacity of 7 (or8) rounds of 45 ACP. A Para Ordnance mag has a capacity of 13 rounds. Both standard capacity, two different animals. Sorry, that PO pistol, as many others, was built and communicated as a hi-cap gun. It is what it is. The law has recognized it as such and will be looking at round count anyway. So what we call it at this point is moot.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Wow, doesn't take long for the dog pack to show up.

Yes...sport. There is no problem. Shooting matches and competitions are shooting sports. There was even a Shooting Sports magazine published by the NRA. I got it for a few years. Not sure whether they still publish it or not. I haven't needed it for quite some time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Wow, 30 plus active years in the sport and I'm unknowing. Helping the anti's... Pinecone, you don't know me nor how active I have been in the firearms cause. My suggestion is reducing your level of judgemental comment until you know more about those you condenscendingly criticize..

FYI, and I am sure you know it, high capacity has always indicated any staggered magazine holding more ammunition than a single stack grip length magazine holds. After 30 plus years of these mags being called hi caps we start to play a semantics game anyone can see through. We are better off educating and proving capacity has nothing to do with criminal behavior. And everyone will understand when someone says hi-cap mag others know its over 10 round capacity. A single stack 1911 has a standard capacity of 7 (or8) rounds of 45 ACP. A Para Ordnance mag has a capacity of 13 rounds. Both standard capacity, two different animals. Sorry, that PO pistol, as many others, was built and communicated as a hi-cap gun. It is what it is. The law has recognized it as such and will be looking at round count anyway. So what we call it at this point is moot.

You are missing the point.

The antis use the term hi cap mag to touch the emotional side of the vast majority of people WHO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FIREARMS. And when they hear it over and over in a negative connotation, that is what they think. Right or wrong.

Using the term standard cap magazine instead, removes that negative connotation. And who can be against something that is standard?

This is similar to when the Federal "assualt weapon" ban was being pushed through. The firearms world tried to educate the masses that the firearms that were being banned weren't actually "assault weapons" as they were not full auto. What stuck in peoples' minds, were video clips of full auto being fired, so they were against these firearms, so they though the aw ban was a GOOD thing, not realized that the ban did not touch those.

You attribute WAY too much knowledge and ability to think to the vast majority of the population.

And what I was saying, if you keep using the term hi cap mag, you are UNWITTINGLY helping the antis. I was not saying you were trying to help them.

It does not matter what we did before, we need to avoid using emotionally charged terms that work against our interests.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I understand your explanation. A previous poster also mentioned it made a difference in the GA discussions. To what degree would be interesting to know.

I'll lend a hand on this but not to the point of playing a word game. That could be counter productive.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The point is, THEY play word games to get the unknowing to buy into their arguments.

WE should use word games to defuse those tactics.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    Word games are just another form of mental masturbation. Call them what they are - 12 rd. mags, 30 rd. mags, 15 rd. mags, what have you.

Connotations like "low," "standard," and "high" are meaningless, and change relatively frequently from person to person and state to state.

Besides, it's not as if some liberal anti is going to be browsing this site, see that a 30 rd. mag is historically "standard" for a black rifle, and have a moment of clarity.

wt71

Sep 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    But in the minds of the unknowing, reduced capacity sounds BAD. Hi capacity sound unneeded.

The anits started with the Hi Cap mag and Assault Weapons terms to sway those who do not know any better.

If you want to keep helping the antis, go for it.

DUDE! All I did was ask a question! There is no need to attact me! :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom