• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Edit to Add: This information is no longer valid in now in 2016, nor going forward. It was valid at the beginning of the HQL program because the backlog at the start of the program meant that the Maryland State Police was way behind in getting the ACTUAL cards mailed out. At the time this thread was launched in October 2103, I was able to do what I described below, but it is NOT ALLOWED currently. I have left up my post below for informational/historical record purposes.

We now have CONFIRMATION that you can purchase a firearm using the Handgun Qualification License NUMBER--with no need to wait for the plastic picture ID HQL card to be received in the mail or actually be in hand. Of course, make sure you have your Driver's License with you for your purchase.

There are two ways for you to independently prove that you hold a valid HQL license number to a Dealer:

1) Using the Dealer's computer, log onto your Maryland State Police HQL application where your HQL License Number is displayed so they can verify it.

2) Have the Dealer contact the MSP Licensing Division, where a staffer will do a look-up to confirm your valid HQL License Number.

As for private transfers done at MSP Barracks...I am still trying to pin that down.

I acknowlege that there is deep ANGER about this license, and I will lead any parade or effort to kill it eventually in the courts. In the meantime the fine folks who have run these small Maryland businesses for years and even decades face bankruptcy if no one buys. Let's support our Industry Partners while we try to suffocate the License.

Last edited:

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    DUDE! According to that pic, your firearms will all "expire" on 01/31/14!

<feverishly searches guns for born on / expiration dates!> :lol2:

Thanks for the info btw. A1 Rules!

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Debbie Downer here - the statute says "present" the HQL issued by the Secretary of the Department. Not to rain on your parade, or saying don't do it, but just like the requirement for HQL's not being enforced for pre-Oct. 1 purchases the MSP has no authority to rewrite, circumvent or make up the law as it goes. Decide for yourself, but be careful. There are a few circumstances were it might be okay - but not for post-Oct. 1 purchases - you are playing with fire!

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Debbie Downer here - the statute says "present" the HQL issued by the Secretary of the Department. Not to rain on your parade, or saying don't do it, but just like the requirement for HQL's not being enforced for pre-Oct. 1 purchases the MSP has no authority to rewrite, circumvent or make up the law as it goes. Decide for yourself, but be careful. There are a few circumstances were it might be okay - but not for post-Oct. 1 purchases - you are playing with fire!

they have no authority to rewrite the law, but as a practical matter, it's makes all the difference in the world as to how they decide to enforce it. and if they've decided that using the number is okay, it's okay. O'Malley isn't going to come arrest you. even though I am sure he wishes he could.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Does this apply to purchasing or receiving? In other words, I can see filling out the 77r without having the card, but this is allowed to take receipt?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    "Presenting" a valid license can be done by showing a valid hard copy or a valid and confirmed number directly from MSP, which can be accomplished via computer or a call if computers are down.

Unlike the valid HQL to take possession issue, the AG has not issued a written policy forbidding this practice, as the State Police have approved a HQL holder once they make the license number active in their system.

I just don't think there is some great conspiracy afoot here. We are taking MSP at their word and don't feel there will be negative repercussions.

Feel otherwise, well that is ok too. If concerned just wait for the card to hit your mailbox. We were also told people would start receiving them in about 2 days, so no big deal either way you decide to go.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD

The longer we can't buy guns the more case we have for denial of our rights, which has been the case since 9/30/13 for most citizens. O'mallee can twist the MSP to his benefit.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I'm not one of those who pre-ordered a firearm or dealt with an FFL who sold me a firearm before October but held it until the Maryland State Police Background Check is completed.

But it is my understanding is that yes, you need the Handgun Qualification License (HQL) to receive a firearm now--BUT THEY ARE ALLOWING TRANSACTIONS/TRANSFERS if the Receiving Party can show that they have a valid HQL NUMBER. (That is the number displayed online once you have a COMPLETED/APPROVED HQL application on the MSP Licensing website) The actual HQL cards take 10-14 days to mail out, MSP says.

The FFL will want to see your application page, so you will have to log in at their shop so they can see that you are completed and approved, and they can confirm your HQL NUMBER for themselves.

Several FFLs I have talked to said that the Maryland State Police is accepting this process for now. I believe the Administration is being accommodating because they know that if NO firearms get sold/transferred in October they will have created a defacto BAN--which could hurt them in court.

But by November the MSP might declare that there are now ACTUAL CARD-CARRYING HQL HOLDERS circulating thru local gun stores and that there is no such thing as a "ban". That would probably mean future HQL applicants might be told they will actually have to wait until they have the card IN HAND.

I am not a lawyer, just researching and reporting. You will need to confirm things for yourself.

Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    Thank you for making this post, I was able to go into Atlantic and show them on the MSP site my active HQL status and pick up my new handgun (started paper work on the 31 and final payment today)

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I agree for pre-Oct.1 applications there is not much concern if the HQL # has been assigned. The MSP 9/24 advisory says they won't enforce, and you have a HQL # albeit no card.

Post 9/30 applications are a different story. To my knowledge the MSP has not said they won't enforce the HQL requirement for post 9/30 applications. The statute clearly says that a person may not purchase without an HQL, and a dealer/licensee may not sell unless the buyer has "presented" an HQL "issued" by the Department. I am simply saying be careful for post 9/30 transactions as it is far less clear what "present" and "issued" mean. There are no AG opinions, and the MSP has not said they won't enforce.

Do I think the whole thing is stupid - yes. Do I think having an HQL# should be sufficient in the absence of an HQL card being issued and your 2A right being infringed during the interim - yes. Do I think having the HQL # but no card might be a reasonable defense - yes. But I am not the State Prosecutor or the local LE. If the cards start showing up in a few days it becomes moot.

wt71

Sep 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    Why is everyone overthinking this!! Just wait a couple weeks and you will have the card in your hand so there will be no question!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I just returned from the Glen Burnie Maryland State Police Barracks, where I filled out firearms transfer paperwork. I had only a print-out from the MSP License site showing that my HQL went active yesterday. The desk Sgt. put my HQL number on the form and I was good to go.

Again, no HQL card in hand, just the print out....

wt71

Sep 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    I just returned from the Glen Burnie Maryland State Police Barracks, where I filled out firearms transfer paperwork. I had only a print-out from the MSP License site showing that my HQL went active yesterday. The desk Sgt. put my HQL number on the form and I was good to go.

Again, no HQL card in hand, just the print out....

MSP might do it but I can GUARANTEE you won't find a gun shop doing it!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    MSP might do it but I can GUARANTEE you won't find a gun shop doing it!

Welcome to the Forum.

Just FOUR posts before your "guarantee" was a member declaring success w/o an actual HQL in hand. Trust me, it's fun to read posts before you pop one of your own, especially one with "guarantees" in them....

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And I was in another shop last night that was delivering with a copy of the HQL Active page from the MSP website.

So that is at least two FFLs that contradict you "guarantee."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom