• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

parksd70

Sep 10, 2013
    Can you fill me in on how they may pertain to Md. and CC?

NM, looked it up! I'm guessing still no decision?

xref

May 9, 2013
    An organized display would count as a political protest, which has a law-mandated no-guns zone around it of some set distance (I want to say 100yds, but I could be wrong).

Stage at 100 yds over miles then... Point proven either way...

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    There are three cases in the 9th. Of particular interest is Young v Hawaii. Yes, they have the 2nd amendment there too.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Young is one of my cases. Its not getting heard for a long time. Its somewhat complicated so I doubt that it will get heard for orals until a carry case gets before the supreme court. I think you mean Baker which is one I did with my buddy Rick. It had already had oral arguments last December.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Young is one of my cases. Its not getting heard for a long time. Its somewhat complicated so I doubt that it will get heard for orals until a carry case gets before the supreme court. I think you mean Baker which is one I did with my buddy Rick. It had already had oral arguments last December.

Thanks. I knew it was one of the Hawaii cases but not sure which one.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Just received from Alan Gura the Woollard Reply Brief.

He DOES bring up the instance of the now late Mr Abbott. Calls out MD's 93% acceptance number which excluded our 2012 apps. The brief pulls no punches at all. A Great read.

He was also kind enough to provide the Lane Reply as well...

Attachments

• 13-42_reply_brief.pdf
      87.9 KB · Views: 232

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I :heart: the last setence.

Instead of spinning this Court a tale about how Maryland supposedly grants 93.7% of applications, Respondents should have related their experience following the district court’s decision – and how many permits they expect to issue should they lose this case.

What a way to close :clap:

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Is it just me, or does anyone else get a sense that... "all is not lost, after all..." when you read from Gura?:bowdown:

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Is it just me, or does anyone else get a sense that... "all is not lost, after all..." when you read from Gura?:bowdown:

I get the absolute opposite feeling. Gura makes it so plainly obvious what the facts are and reasons so clearly that it OUGHT to be so simple a child would get it. OK so maybe one lower court might get it wrong. Once. But that's not the case.

I am led to believe that those sitting on the bench all the way to the Supreme court can either not read plain English and/or do not comprehend the law. Or simply don't care about it. I find that thought extremely depressing.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Very well written.

I wonder if there are firm and verifiable numbers on how many people applied after Legg's decision, and how many were turned down after the 4th circuit's reversal?

It is too bad that there is no way to estimate how many people didn't even try to apply pre-wollard, because they thought it was a futile and expensive exercise.

jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH
    My favorite quote was "Opposing this petition by claiming that recreational shooting activities and long guns remain legal is akin to defending a book ban against First Amendment challenge by averring that flag burning and nude dancing are not impacted. Petitioners appreciate that the State has not (yet) violated their rights in some ways, but seek redress for the substantial core violation that is, in fact, ongoing."

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Because they mention what the State says about "long gun carry" OK and if the court says carry outside the home is allowed, would that decision allow Long Gun Carry everywhere?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I like these quotes: Ray Woollard is a
    much better judge of his particular “need” for self protection
    than are Maryland’s legislature, the police
    officials who deprived him of his rights, and their
    “experts” who believe that people everywhere and
    always are better off defenseless.

Respondents claim that the lower court “put the State to its burden,
    and determined that the State had satisfied that
    burden.” BIO 14. Some burden: “t is the legislature’s
    job, not ours, to weigh conflicting evidence and
    make policy judgments.” App. 38a (citation omitted).

Very hard-hitting brief. Let's hope it's enough. Good thing is there will be plenty of 2A cases seeking cert this term. It'll be tougher for the court to simply pass on all of them(but certainly possible).

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    His documents are readable and enjoyable (to us), but have to piss off the bad guys. Gura and party put it so simply that a child could understand. I like how he points out the lies and exaggerations Md has been spouting.

But none of these activities could be described as
    “carrying [arms] for a particular purpose – confrontation,”
    Heller, 554 U.S. at 584, and none directly
    manifest the Second Amendment’s “core lawful purpose
    of self-defense.” Id. at 630.

RightNYer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2013
    "Similarly, it defies credulity to suppose that the
    level of scrutiny afforded below is consistent with
    that becoming a fundamental right. Respondents
    claim that the lower court “put the State to its burden,
    and determined that the State had satisfied that
    burden.” BIO 14. Some burden: “t is the legislature’s
    job, not ours, to weigh conflicting evidence and
    make policy judgments.” App. 38a (citation omitted)."

It'd be like having a 4th Amendment, but allowing the police doing the search to determine if it's reasonable or not.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    I get the absolute opposite feeling. Gura makes it so plainly obvious what the facts are and reasons so clearly that it OUGHT to be so simple a child would get it. OK so maybe one lower court might get it wrong. Once. But that's not the case.

I am led to believe that those sitting on the bench all the way to the Supreme court can either not read plain English and/or do not comprehend the law. Or simply don't care about it. I find that thought extremely depressing.

You are discounting a third, and most likely, case: those sitting on the bench all the way to the Supreme Court are opposed to the 2nd Amendment at a fundamental level. They view the power of the state as being more important than the fundamental rights of the citizenry, particular when the right in question is one that fundamentally revolves around the terrifying responsibility of life and death that is central to the right to keep and bear arms.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom