• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    My ex-gf has been asking for advice on carrying a gun for SD (she lives in VA) but ia IMHO nowhere near ready for that... so it hasn't been at the forefront of my consciousness to keep her safe (as she's my ex) but she got mugged last week. Now I feel like she really needs something easy to use and legal to carry on public transit and at work, ASAP.

Is there a brand/delivery method that works best? I have heard FOX and SABRE mentioned as reputable brands. However there are many form factors such as keychains up to cans for bears and riot control. My concerns are the ease of use, potency and range/capacity of the different types. I understand that it's not a perfect or one-size-fits-all approach but it's better than nothing IMO (I could be wrong...).

So what can you guys say about the subject? I'd like to give her sound advice so she can swing by a gun shop or police supply store this weekend and have something to help keep her safe.

As always, thanks for the input! :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Sabre Red. It's widely available and burns like hell. Have her take a training class as well.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    SABRE RED is very popular. I have used it and train with it. It is very effective and comes in a variety of delivery systems/formats.

We are working with Constitutional Firearms (another IP) to offer the SABRE CSAP course for those looking for a 'less that lethal' self-defense tool. The class is about 3 hours long with drills and each student will get a few inert (water) canisters to practice with and an active SABRE spray. Not sure of the cost yet but it will not exceed $65.00.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Sabre Red. It's widely available and burns like hell. Have her take a training class as well.

+1 Sabre is the best...hands down. I like the 3 in 1 formula a little better than the Red version, but both are great.

+1 for the training as well. I just taught our Sabre pepper spray class last night as a matter of fact. It was a blast.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

These have been my Maryland EDC for years. Think of it as a two-shot derringer. (Sometimes I carry two of them.) I have a DeSantis pocket holster for it.

I like the old shape better-it's best to hold it more like a tv remote control, not like a pistol- but it is what it is.

We are working with Constitutional Firearms (another IP) to offer the SABRE CSAP course for those looking for a 'less that lethal' self-defense tool....

I've been wanting to take that class, but can't handle the scheduling and distance of ProShooter's classes. I'm very interested in a class in Central Maryland, preferably in the daytime.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I've been wanting to take that class, but can't handle the scheduling and distance of ProShooter's classes. I'm very interested in a class in Central Maryland, preferably in the daytime.

I don't mind bringing any of our classes on the road. Unfortunately, with the cost of the student kits, there is not much profit to be made, even with a full class of 12. As a business, I always have to look at the bottom line and with expenses, there won't be much meat left on the bone.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    +1 Sabre is the best...hands down. I like the 3 in 1 formula a little better than the Red version, but both are great.

We've started issuing Red with the "cross fire" bottle so it can be deployed from any angle. That's pretty cool. I've seen the 3-in-1 in stores, but haven't been hit with it yet.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My wife and daughters all carry the Sabre - whatever the one is they sell at BP. None of them really know how to use it though. I'd be very interested in sending them to a class at Constitutional.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    These have been my Maryland EDC for years. Think of it as a two-shot derringer. (Sometimes I carry two of them.) I have a DeSantis pocket holster for it.

I like the old shape better-it's best to hold it more like a tv remote control, not like a pistol- but it is what it is.

We can always do a small class at the AGC on most any evening or on a Friday during the day.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Sabre Red and Fox have basicly equiv reputation in the LE world. The Sabre is more widely available in civillian channels. From first hand experience and observation at receiving it is a very *memorable* experience.
    Within the inherent limitations of the type , it's about as good as it's gonna get.

The 2.0 oz size is easier to aim and spray quickly under stress than the key chain , and is still reasonably compact.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    SABRE RED is very popular. I have used it and train with it. It is very effective and comes in a variety of delivery systems/formats.

We are working with Constitutional Firearms (another IP) to offer the SABRE CSAP course for those looking for a 'less that lethal' self-defense tool. The class is about 3 hours long with drills and each student will get a few inert (water) canisters to practice with and an active SABRE spray. Not sure of the cost yet but it will not exceed $65.00.

I'd be very interested in this for my wife, will you be doing a general announcement when the course becomes available?

My wife has had clients follow her before, and she carries pepper spray with her already, but I'm not confident that she'd deploy it properly/effectively if in an emergency.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Took a basic class years ago, it is practically a requirement, being the techniques to successfully use OC and to cope with exposure aren't really self explanatory. One of the main points I was taught is that if you are going to use it, there is a huge chance you will be exposed, through blowback or physical transfer, and you need to know how to at least function and not pannick after getting sprayed. That being said, Sabre is best, if not for their formula, for their training, product line, standard can sizes and accessories to go along with it. I conceal a 2oz can on my belt instead of a firearm where I cannot legally CC. Strong side in a doublesatack mag pouch that fits well, is secure, and way better made than the majority of consumer OC holsters, you can also get duty holsters. I don't care for turn tops, I like the LE style flip tops, quicker to operate, and just as safe IMO. I get Sabre red MK3 2oz cans, it's the LEO version, a bit harder to find, but still available, Mine is model# 52CFT10, stream nozzle, level III hottest formula, flip top, good range, minimal blowback. I have played around with their Gel, and have it in the car, less atomization for confined spaces, better range, but instead of the liquid basically running everywhere and the fumes choking an assailant with a hit, the gel just kinda stays where it hit, and seems it would be harder to land an effective ear to ear soak.

SABRE-52CFT10-rw-61341-70747.jpg

Last edited:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Like ProShooter stated, SABRE is pretty strict about what the kits cost and the max price for the class, so there is very little profit in hosting one. That is part of the reason I agreed to work with Constitutional Firearms to 'test the water'.

But since there seems to be a growing number of interested parties, I will look for some weekday evenings at the AGC during July and post it here and on the calendar.

namelessname120

Jul 6, 2011
    Get red sabre. Don't get any foam mace because the person you spray on can easily wipe it off and throw it back at you

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom